How to get the Baby to get in a better position? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

So I am 36 weeks and found out I am allready 80% effaced and 1cm, the Baby is still quite high though...its position is head town but with its back to my right side, which gets it kind of malpositioned when it comes to an ideal birth position, it should be her back to my left side head tom facing my right hip...ugh

So I know my dd was laying like that which caused her to never really engage well and put pressure on my cervix to help open it, I looked into spinning babies, but did not find any help on how to get it to move at home, it did explain the position and the problem but thats all I could find, I also see a chiro, so far she likes to stray right where she is LOL

Any Help or advice??

Claudia wife to Joe since (05/04) Mom to DD (09/05) and mom to DS (11/09) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 PM

Hands and knees is always good as is rocking and swiveling hips on a birth ball.

But also know that not every mama's pelvis is shaped the same--so not every baby enters the pelvis in the same way.  Some babies actually enter the pelvis facing mom's left hip.  I believe my son did as his back was on my right side throughout labor, and I did not feel him rotate when he finally descended.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Have you considered chiropractic care (webster technique in particular)? I started going at 36 weeks, and I fully attribute my quick labor and VBAC to the baby being in the perfect position! My first labor was 56 hours. She was posterior with her chin up. I wasn't familiar with proper positioning and didn't try any of the spinning babies techniques until I was in labor. 

This time I saw a chiropractor, avoided reclining positions all together, I sat on the birth ball at the computer, put a pillow behind my back anytime I was sitting on a couch or in a recliner, etc. My labor was 8 hours start to finish.

Good luck, mama!

Mom to Liv (9/07) ribboncesarean.gif and Nora (2/11) vbac.gif

Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

yep...I see a Chiropractor ..i always do...however, my hip gets adjusted just not helping to get my Baby from ROA to the optimum LOA :(

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM

http://www.spinningbabies.com/ has a lot of good techniques and info.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 AM

I have been doing a few things from Spinning Babies. I had the same issue with DD and I'm doing what I can to avoid a repeat! I do the inversion, there is a video of it on the site. Then I do 40 pelvic rocks, and then at least 5 minutes of forward leaning over the arm f the couch, relaxing my belly and sometimes rocking my hips around if it feels right. I do notice that they are in a bette position after this. Psychologically it has helped as well, since they are not always in a good spot and at 32 weeks still move quite a bit. But I feel good that there is something I can do about it. Even if before labor it doesn't work all the time, I hope that during labor with ctx I can help them rotate well if needed, which I didn't know about last time and no one in the hospital suggested. It makes me feel better prepared at the very least. I also started to see a chiro for Webster yesterday. I am going to ask him if I would be able to call him in early labor if it's at a good time and be able to come in on short notice.

Bridget born 6/10/08 by C Section
Grant born 4/15/11 HBAC turned CBAC

Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

OK my baby is still really high I can not tell anything but that its RO ...not sure if P,A. or T but I do not think its in a optimum spot for labor since it won't come down much at all...My goal is to get it as close to optimum as I can before labor....one less thisng I will have to worry about when I am in labor right...the better the position the better and fast it might go the less intervention I will be offered and have to deny LOL

Anyways...I will see the only person Chiro in town who is Webster Cert. I hope she can help me get it in a good spot or find out why it is the way it is Smiley

Also I have the option to take a doula in training who would charge 250 instead of the pro who charges 450...what should I take?? What would you suggest honestly.. any penny we can save right now is great, but how much do I get from a doula in training ??

Old 03-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Hi- I'm 31 wks and had a posterior baby, 60 hr labor and c section with my first so I am really trying to get some 'optimal fetal positioning' going on right now too.

I was going to suggest a doula - we found one who seems really knowledgeable about positions in labor that facilitate rotation. Maybe asking each doula outright what her strategy is for your situation if in fact the babe doesn't turn pre-labor, then decide that way. Sometimes experience really is the most valuable teacher and, while we're counting every penny right now too we figure when I'm in labor I would probably pay whatever someone asked to get that baby to turn. 

In addition to the spinning babies exercises, chiro and trying to sit upright and/or forward I'm swimming a couple times a week and also making sure I sleep on my left side.

Good luck to you! I hope that babe picks the other side soon!

Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

None of my babies have ever engaged before labor. Cervical checks mean nothing until you are in active labor. So, I second the Webster chiro recommendations. Also, feel free to refuse vaginal exams. They really tell you nothing. 

For my two HBACs, my cervix was very high and closed (baby was nowhere near engaged) on the mornings of their births. Cervical checks mean nothing. Your body works. Don't let anyone undermine your confidence in birthing your baby.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 AM

You are getting lots of great suggestions (I am 38 weeks, and this baby is ROT or OP a lot, and I am doing these things, chiro, spinning babies (I just did a training on it), etc. 

I am also a doula, and attended a VBAC birth as one of my training births.  Have you interviewed the doula in training?  What is her experience?  How much does she know about VBAC?  I served my client very well because as a woman who had a cesarean I was very well versed on VBAC and the issues (I am also an ICAN chapter leader).  Being a doula in training doesn't mean that the doula can't do a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudi81 View Post

Also I have the option to take a doula in training who would charge 250 instead of the pro who charges 450...what should I take?? What would you suggest honestly.. any penny we can save right now is great, but how much do I get from a doula in training ??

Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

so I went to a webster certified chiro today who is pretty great..anyway she discovered that the baby is actually LOA now so yay!!!!! the only thing is that baby is only at -2 station so not engaged yet and has room to turn the head, want to keep staying alligned so it will engage the right way!

She mentioned that in most woman the baby starts to to drop and fully engage about 2 weeks before birth ....I do not think that my babys ever started to drop more than -2, no is that something to be concerned about? What else can I do to help it drop down or engage? It would be great cause that way I do not have to worry about it moving as much and get in a bad position again :)

Old 03-07-2011, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post

None of my babies have ever engaged before labor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudi81 View Post

so I went to a webster certified chiro today who is pretty great..anyway she discovered that the baby is actually LOA now so yay!!!!! the only thing is that baby is only at -2 station so not engaged yet and has room to turn the head, want to keep staying alligned so it will engage the right way!

She mentioned that in most woman the baby starts to to drop and fully engage about 2 weeks before birth ....I do not think that my babys ever started to drop more than -2, no is that something to be concerned about? What else can I do to help it drop down or engage? It would be great cause that way I do not have to worry about it moving as much and get in a bad position again :)

Your chiro may be great at Webster but she has her facts wrong. Especially in subsequent pregnancies, most babies do NOT engage until labor. Don't worry. There's nothing you can do. Baby will engage when it's time. Don't let anyone worry you on this account.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome thank you :) I was thinking the same thing...or hoping I knew it better..I was so glad Baby is in a great position now and then I got so depressed when she told me about that engagement thing...I am like darn now that LOL....I guess things go just fine now :)

Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM

I'm glad baby is LOA.  I agree with others that baby likely won't engage early. Keep up with the chiro appts until you have the baby.

As for the doula, for me with my coming VBAC, I wanted one who was experienced in positions and getting baby to turn if need be, and experienced with VBACs. I am very happy about the doula we have.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

you are right, I will stay with the professional Doula that cost me 200 bucks more, but she delivered many births along with my OB they are a great team from what I have heard and he likes her too, plus they have done VBAMC together as well and she knows possitions to help and she had 6 kids of her own, so looks like she will be good for me :) and even hubs since she knows tricks how to calm him down.

User Tag List