HBA4C update: The Lord is my strength.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all! Well it has been a week since Russell was born. Sorry I haven't posted sooner but with recovery and my other little ones to take care of, I haven't purposed to update until now!

So......I did it! I had a successful vaginal birth after 4 cesareans! It was a grueling 38 hrs of labor, but God sustained me throughout!

I started having contractions at 1am on the 24th. They were more like waves of nausea, and I got up to walk around to see if they'd change. They didn't, so I gave my MW (who was 4 hrs away) a call. She hadn't gone to sleep yet, but we agreed we would both try to get some sleep and see how it was in the morning. So, I went back to bed and at 7 woke up to mild contractions every 8 to 10 min. I called the MW and she said she'd head our way. When she got here nothing had changed, so we went for some walks, and that got things going! Now they were 5 minutes apart and were more intense. My husband got home around 6pm and we all ate supper, then at 8:30pm headed to town. We got into our hotel room and right away DH and MW set up the birth pool. It was nice and warm, and did make the contrax more bearable, but after being in there for 4 hrs without any change, we decided to give it a rest and get some sleep. Let me tell you: trying to sleep through contrax that are 8 & 9 in intensity is NOT easy! But everybody else was able to get the rest needed to support me.

At 5:30am on Friday I told MW that I was wanting to start again. They drained the birth pool and at 7:30 I got in again. By now the MW's were suspecting a cervical lip, and sure enough, I had an anterior lip that was soft but wanting to come down with the baby's head. So I tried different positions and found laying on my side on the bed to work very well. The MW's took turns holding the cervical lip up while directing me, but it was still hard work because I was so tired already. Thankfully the Lord knew how much my body could handle and made my contractions stay 5 min apart so I had a good rest in between. So after what seemed like forever, the baby's head finally got past the cervical lip, and after awhile longer, I pushed him out. He was born at 2:36pm and as healthy as any baby that has gone through a shorter delivery. Overall, I pushed for about 6 1/2 hrs, but baby stayed strong through it all!

I am so grateful to my MW's for sticking with me, and am ever so thankful that the Lord allowed me to have this experience, even as hard as it was. He gave me strength to endure it, and just when I wanted to give up, I made some progress that motivated me to keep going.

I also have a new respect for moms who have long labors. Talk about feeling like you ran a marathon! It's taken quite a few days to feel normal again, but I wouldn't trade my natural birth  for anything! love.gif

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
#2 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Congratulations on your healthy son AND a vba4c! What a feat!

#3 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 PM

What a joy and accomplishment the Lord has given you. I'm rejoicing with you! joy.gif What a gift of a new little one and your VBA4C, incredible.  Share the story wherever you can!

16 Come and hear, all you who fear God,
         And I will declare what He has done for my soul.
 17 I cried to Him with my mouth,
         And He was extolled with my tongue.
 18 If I regard iniquity in my heart,
         The Lord will not hear.
 19 But certainly God has heard me;
         He has attended to the voice of my prayer.

20 Blessed be God,
         Who has not turned away my prayer,
         Nor His mercy from me!

Psalm 66

annettemarie and jemika like this.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Awesome!  I am so happy for you, that it definitely quite an accomplishment.  I thought pushing for 2 1/2 hours was hard!  Way to go, mama!

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#5 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 PM

I love your story!  Congratulations!  You are a strong woman!

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#6 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Congrats Mama! Happy birthday baby :-)

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#7 of 14 Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 AM

Wow! I am blown away by your birthing strength! You are an inspiration!

Congratulations on your precious baby boy. love.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#8 of 14 Old 04-02-2011, 05:51 AM

Congrats! What a lovely story. You rock!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#9 of 14 Old 04-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Congratulations on your VBA4C!joy.gif

#10 of 14 Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 AM

Wonderful story! You are definitely an inspiration (I would love a hba4c, myself). 

Congratulations.  luxlove.gif

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 14 Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Wow, way to GO!!!!!

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#12 of 14 Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Amazing! Congratulations on your new baby boy and your victorious, hard-earned VBA4C, mama!!!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#13 of 14 Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 PM

Congratulations! This gives me hope joy.gifI too have had 4 c/s and would love to get the real chance at a VBA4C. I tried with my last one and ended up being manipulated by scare tactics into my fourth c/s. angry.gif I wish I had been more knowledgeable before going into labor!

#14 of 14 Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 PM

Wow...vba4c!!  What an accomplishment that is, and to God be all the glory!  This gives me hope as I am aspiring to attempt a vba2c...God willing!  Thank you for sharing your story with us! orngbiggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page