Had a VBAC with #2.....now preggers with #3..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Am I still considered a VBAC patient?  or since my last delivery was vaginal, will this be a "routine" delivery?  Hope this makes sense!

One sleepy mama to ds #1 (5) and ds #2...my VBAC baby (2) and expecting #3 sometime in 2/2012!!

#2 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Congrats on the VBAC and on your pregnancy with #3!!  Yeah, I get what you're asking, and there's not a clear answer.  Some CPs will treat you as a VBAC patient; others will see you more as a 'regular' patient.  The fact that you've had a successful VBAC means that you're more likely to succeed again and less likely to rupture.  I *believe* (but don't quote me here) that your UR risk goes down after a successful VBAC.

I'll be interested to see what other posters have to say.  I've not been in your 'elevated' position!

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#3 of 8 Old 06-11-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Labortrials!  I guess I'll just have to wait and see what my provider says.......hopefully my status will change from VBAC to "regular" lol

One sleepy mama to ds #1 (5) and ds #2...my VBAC baby (2) and expecting #3 sometime in 2/2012!!

#4 of 8 Old 06-11-2011, 04:53 PM

#5 of 8 Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 PM

Even with a proven pelvis and the decrease in risk of UR, your risk is still higher than that of a woman without a scarred uterus.  I have had 4 VBACs and was considered a VBAC for each one.  Including not being able to legally have a homebirth with a licensed provider according to state laws.  I can't stand that part.  My uterus withstood two external versions, a pitocin augmented labor and a cytotec induced labor (before 28 weeks it is considered a limited risk, I would NEVER do cytotec later in pregnancy or for a live birth!)  Even with my history I am still considered a VBAC this time.  I have had to get OR reports each time too, well authorized my providers to request them from my son's hospital/doctor.

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
#6 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 09:25 AM

I wasn't ever treated differently in my prenatal care or hospital procedures because of being a VBAC patient the first time so I expect that I wouldn't be for subsequent pregnancies and births. I suspect that my experience may not be the norm everywhere, though.
labortrials likes this.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#7 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 02:04 PM

I am sure location makes a difference  I know with my last birth things would have been different with my midwives than it was with the OB in regards to monitoring, cervical checks, etc.  But, with all my OB VBACS it was CFM, heplock, a cervical checks.  I am hoping this time will be different.

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
#8 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the insight ladies!  With my VBAC, I pretty much showed up at the hospital pushing......and ds#2 was born about 20-30 minutes after I arrived.  I delivered with a group of hospital based midwives at a very progressive, VBAC friendly woman's hospital.  The only downside is that it is about an hour drive each way.  With the price of gas, I was toying around with the idea of finding somewhere closer, but I think that would just be crazy talk....I'll just suck up the drive and the $$......don't want to do anything to harm my chances of a VBAC #2!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page