FB users (A, hopefully, postive page for all types of c-section moms) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 of 81 Old 09-18-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I posted this in Birth and Beyond, too and I hope it is also okay to post this here. It's a link to a Facebook page that I started last week for c-section moms, in particular. I couldn't think of any other place on here that is geared towards c-sections mom. Am I missed a place or a special thread?

It is also for VBAC's and any other type of birth that you want to discuss, too.

I began it because I noticed that many places online, people tend to think that if you choose to have a c-section, for whatever reason, that you must have been misinformed.

I just wanted a safe place for c-section moms who aren't necessarily sad about their c-sections and don't necessarily feel that they made an uneducated decision. And they may want c-sections in the future or they may want VBAC's. Calling it a positive page doesn't mean that you have to have total peace about your c-section; it means that I hope it will be a place where there can be discussion but c-sections moms won't feel torn down.

Let's help educate women in all options of birth! Please take a look if you are interested. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/CesareanSmiles

#2 of 81 Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM

I don't know why but the whole idea of a cesarean scar looking like a smile creeps me out. My doctor's partner saw me at my post partum visit.  She looked at my scar and said, "You have a big happy face on your belly!"  I looked at her and said, "Really?  From my view it looks like a frown."  She proceeded to argue with me that it looks like a smile. Again, I don't know why that wigs me out.  That c-section actually was a very good experience otherwise.  I would never just choose a c-section but I know my last one was for a good reason.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#3 of 81 Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm194 View Post

I don't know why but the whole idea of a cesarean scar looking like a smile creeps me out.

Me, too. I'm glad a cesarean section was available and I have a healthy son despite a massive placental abruption. The scar doesn't bug me. But having to recover from major surgery is nothing to smile about, frankly.

isabchi likes this.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#4 of 81 Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

dlm, ha! Yeah, I could see that. Kind of like a creepy clown smile or something.

Megan, thankfully, my recoveries have gone really well. Of course, that first day or two is painful, though. I'm sorry you had the placental abruption- that must have made it even worse in many ways.

#5 of 81 Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 PM

I have had 2 c/s and am going for an HBA2c in December. I very much encourage moms who have had a c/s to consider a VBAC, but I always ultimately respect whatever decision they make. Moms MUST feel comfortable with their birth, whether ERCS or VBAC.

My schtick: make an educated decision.

:-)
isabchi likes this.
#6 of 81 Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

I concur!

#7 of 81 Old 10-15-2011, 01:14 PM

I had a planned c/s with my daughter in July 2009.

No drama, easy recovery (driving within 2 weeks, no painkillers after day 3), very happy about it.

Absolutely plan ERCS next time (if I can bring myself to have another baby, hyperemesis is no laughing matter).

The factors that made the first CS necessary are going to be there in any subesequent pregnancy (  Ihave a spinal condition), and while my OB would absolutely support whatever I choose to do, I just don't think, for me, that the benefit of VBAC would outweigh the risks (in my particular case).

#8 of 81 Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, me too....I think I will have a repeat c-section next time, too.

For one, it will be harder to find a provider that will VBAC a woman who has had two c-sections and no vaginal births. By ACOG standards I probably am still a candidate, but I think it will take awhile for the hospital policies to catch up with that.

But regardless, I do think that I want a repeat anyway because I still have the same concerns that I had after my first c-section only now I have a scar that has been potentially made weaker.

So far, my pregnancies have been very good, though, so I am thankful for that. I can understand how it would be harder if you were sick most of the time. It seems, so far, all of my problems come in labor and breastfeeding!

And this:

"No drama, easy recovery (driving within 2 weeks, no painkillers after day 3), very happy about it."

is exactly like me!

#9 of 81 Old 10-23-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmamacat View Post

I had a planned c/s with my daughter in July 2009.

No drama, easy recovery (driving within 2 weeks, no painkillers after day 3), very happy about it.

May I just ask what "no drama" means?

I'm always so boggled when I see posts like this, because I just honestly don't understand how people get through being cut open without being in really major pain. It's hurt like hell for a lot longer than three days, every time. I wish I had recoveries like that, but I just can't wrap my brain around it...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#10 of 81 Old 10-23-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Storm Bride, I guess everyone just heals differently. And every c-section can be different. For both of mine, I've been the same way, so far. I feel better by day 4. By day 5, it doesn't even hurt unless I touch it. I don't know. Now breastfeeding hurts me like mad. I've know of people who feel better even before I do, but I would think most people do take longer. Just like anything....some people take a long time to heal from a vaginal birth and some people feel better the same day.

PS. I meant to add in here for anybody reading, one thing that I think helped me to heal was sleeping in a recliner! I left the hospital after two days, )sometimes I'm afraid that is unwise but I tried to be careful and the Dr did clear me)  because I wanted to get home and use the recliner! Helped me so much with sleeping and not having to use my muscles to get up (took away that horrible splitting in half feeling.)

#11 of 81 Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 PM

Unless you have a vertical scar.......

#12 of 81 Old 10-23-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I'm always so boggled when I see posts like this, because I just honestly don't understand how people get through being cut open without being in really major pain. It's hurt like hell for a lot longer than three days, every time. I wish I had recoveries like that, but I just can't wrap my brain around it...

I think she meant that her planned c-section was not an emergency. I had an "emergency" c-section with my son (I was in labor and he was a footling breech) and it was very fast, confusing, dramatic, and overwhelming. I've heard that most planned c-sections are not like this.

I also agree with a previous poster that breastfeeding, for the first three months, was ten times more excruciating than anything I went through with my c-section. Actually, once I got my catheter and IV out, I was a happy camper and only a little sore. The emotional impact was much harder for me: a failed homebirth, and the fact that I could never again have a homebirth or prenatal care with my beloved midwives. The fact that in my state having a c-section has left me with limited choices. The stigma of c-section, etc.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#13 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

I didn't have major pain after my c/s. I had patient controlled epidural analgesia for about 15 hours afterwards and I started taking *regular* paracetamol and diclofenac (an anti-inflammatory) straight away. For the first 36 hours I also had endone. I also used a towel, folded and taped into a firm pad to brace my incision whenever I got up or moved in bed.

I had to be careful how I moved but I could get around unaided, carry my baby, feed her comfortably, basically all the things I wanted to do.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#14 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I didn't have major pain after my c/s. I had patient controlled epidural analgesia for about 15 hours afterwards and I started taking *regular* paracetamol and diclofenac (an anti-inflammatory) straight away. For the first 36 hours I also had endone. I also used a towel, folded and taped into a firm pad to brace my incision whenever I got up or moved in bed.

I had to be careful how I moved but I could get around unaided, carry my baby, feed her comfortably, basically all the things I wanted to do.

*sigh*
I'll admit to being insanely jealous. I hated having c-sections, but they would have been slightly more tolerable if they'd been like this. My fifth (and last) was the best, by far, and it still wasn't that good. Mind you, I also cut way back on the pain meds (and still had less pain...not sure how that worked) with that one, because the "effective" (ie. it still hurt like hell, but not as much as it should have) pain control with my third turned an otherwise pretty decent recovery into a healing process that took over a month. (Basically, I overdid it slightly getting back into bed, because I couldn't feel the pain fully, and tore out a staple, which prevented my incision from healing fully, so it got infected, and stayed open for about six weeks.)

Anyway, I'm going to bow out. I'm not sure why I clicked on this one, because even the thread title made me feel a bit...off, and I know this isn't a healthy thread for me. (I'll try to unsubscribe from notifications, but I haven't had great luck with that.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#15 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:

I would hope you didn't have any major pain!  That's plenty of pain medication there.  I am completely in favor of managing your pain but many women hesitate to do that for breastfeeding reasons (they don't want too much pain medication in their milk)

The recovery from my 2nd c-section was really good and I imagine if that's all I knew, I'd be bragging about how "easy" a recovery it was.  However, I have a vaginal birth to compare it to which was a piece of cake in comparison.  The funny thing is that my vaginal birth was a long, tough birth (41 hours and no pain meds).  I couldn't even get out of bed for 2 hours and I needed 2 nurses to physically help me out of bed and half walk/half carry me to the bathroom.  If that was all I knew, I'd probably talk about how tough my vaginal birth was (coupled with a 2nd degree tear).  But my "easy" c-section recovery was still a lot tougher than my "difficult" vaginal birth recovery.  I remember the nurse offering me motrin after my vaginal birth. I looked at her funny and asked "Why? The worst is over."   

It is kind of a sad day when the mothering VBAC board has a thread about how easy and drama-free planned c-sections can be.  *sigh* 

waluso and Youngfrankenstein like this.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif

#16 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM

I had my 2nd c-section on Oct 17th.  My experience this time was much different from the first.  With the 1st I remember feeling lots of pain with every movement.  I took my pain medication faithfully until the prescription ran out.  This time I had an emergency c-section due to severe pre-eclampsia.  I had one dose of toradol after surgery and then I took ibuprofen for the next 2 days.  But honestly my pain never got above maybe a 3 on a scale of 1-10.  I have had zero pain or discomfort since the 3rd day.  I've had my daughter jump on me and hug me and I don't feel a thing.  I really can't tell I've had surgery.  I don't know what the reason is that I've had such an easy recovery this time, but I sure didn't expect it. 

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#17 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry that you've had a hard time, Storm Bride- I don't think that's unusual- it is major surgery. Not something to take likely if you don't need it. Did you start having your c-sections a while ago? I wonder if that could make a difference? I have no idea. But I do wonder if some of the techniques get better as time goes on, besides just the common low transverse instead of vertical now. But, every birth and every body is different.

dlm, yeah, that's the thing. who knows, maybe I would have a better vaginal birth and think the c-section was worse? I'm not sure! But I guess it's just one of those things that I'm content with because I've never had emotional sadness from my c-sections and I think the gamble of VBAC, for me, could end up much worse and a much worse recovery. It really is something that everyone has to weigh for themselves because it can vary.

#18 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

But, dlm, why is sad that there could be a thread about c-sections being okay? Everyone here has had a c-section, so they know whether or not it applied to them. C-sections can be just fine, though, I do think that many women are capable of having a VBAC. I just don't think it's a huge deal either way- especially if you make an informed decision.

greenmulberry likes this.
#19 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Madelinesmama, yeah, I've always been surprised, too. I'm grateful for it because then the breastfeeding is a bear of pain!

I don't think some people always understand that having a repeat c-section can be an okay choice for some people. Both a VBAC and RCS can have good and bad points. Statistically, a VBAC is still considered safer for mom and a RCS is considered safer for baby, so everybody has to decide for themselves how that applies to them. Though, a good, successful VBAC is better for both if it can be obtained and RCS can be worse for future pregnancies. All things to consider.

You hear a lot how elective c-sections are 3x more dangerous than vaginal births, but that is actually for a completely elective c-section. It excludes medical reasons- like a scar from a previous c-section. Basically, it seems that completely elective c-sections and a planned home birth with a midwife are equal in 'danger', statistically.

hildare likes this.
#20 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 05:29 PM

Thank you, Seili. Also, it's very difficult for someone like me who has terrible choices regarding VBAC. I was forced to have a c-section because my son was breech, and my midwife would not allow a home birth, nor would my doctor allow a vaginal delivery. It's easy to say I could have done UC or refused a c-section in the hospital, but I was a first time mom, in labor, and was too scared not to allow them to do a c-section.

Now, with no midwife in my state who will do an HBAC, my choices are UC or driving 3 hours for a VBAC. We have no money, no family or friends in the city that does VBACS, I will be working right up to delivery, and we have a toddler. All of these things conspire against me and I will probably end up with a RCS because it can be done locally and is the most practical choice for me. This breaks my heart, but it's reality.

Being told I shouldn't talk about the benefits of RCS is NOT helpful. Being told there shouldn't be a thread like this sucks, when there are a million home birth threads that I am left out of. And don't tell me to go to a mainstream forum. I am a long-term breastfeeding, co-sleeping, selective vaxing, babywearing, AP mama who just happens, through unfortunate circumstances, to be considering an RCS.

CI Mama and AGSmomma like this.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#21 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:

I would hope you didn't have any major pain!  That's plenty of pain medication there.  I am completely in favor of managing your pain but many women hesitate to do that for breastfeeding reasons (they don't want too much pain medication in their milk)

I was really just responding to Storm Bride who said she didn't know how someone could have major surgery without major pain. I was just explaining how I did it.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#22 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

sandy, I can understand why you had your first c-section. Breech would be a hard decision. Yes, technically, many people can have a vaginal birth, but there is the potential for a higher risk, especially at home. I think some doctors don't feel comfortable doing it. It would better if hospitals could try some of these things more, but then they do see some as going bad quickly, if something should happen. And, honestly, I think home birth is only 'approved' by places like ACOG for low-risk women- no breech, twins, VBAC's, etc. I understand that some people do definitely manage to do these things safely at home and often with less problems from interventions, but while home birth is great when everything goes safely, if something goes wrong it could then be much safer to be in a hospital. I know that's not a good thought around mothering.com, perhaps, but I do like to go by the current standards, too, to make a decision, even if individually we may fit in differently. And to me, some VBAC moms aren't as high risk as others. If someone has already had a vaginal birth or a VBAC, then they have a proven history, making home birth a little less risky for them, even though we all (who have had a c-section) have a scar to consider. Also, women who had the original c-section for something other than their anatomy (like breech baby) may have better chances, too, than some others, though they may not have a proven history yet.

I wonder if you printed off all of the information from the NHI and ACOG about VBAC's that then your doctor would reconsider? Sometimes, or maybe mostly, this is also hospital policy, though, and they may not want to or many not to be able to change their stance. ( Some say they don't have emergency anesthesia always ready in time.)

I'll post you the two links, though, just in case you don't have them. Because that's the thing, I don't like that some women are pushed into RCS, I hope that will change. ACOG even says that some women with 2 previous c-sections can be candidates for VBAC and many hospitals do not practice this yet. Another thing I didn't like, that hospitals push for the 39 week RCS. I don't think a previous scar is enough reason not to wait until your due date. I didn't want to push it, but I thought it was a fair balance to do the RCS in my 40th week. I know 39 weeks can be safe and is certainly better than 37 weeks, but still....I wasn't comfortable with forcing baby out then without a reason. (but I can understand doing the 39 week if you are going a distance to a hospital and don't feel comfortable risking labor.)

I was fine with my RCS and chose it, but I'm sorry you don't have the choice. I'm sure it will go well and can be great, but I wish too that you had another safe choice. But, yes, without having that choice right now, I don't think that RCS is a bad thing and it is statistically better for baby (unless a VBAC went well, which of course we don't know until retrospect! and statistically, from what we know right now, RCS is riskier for mom yet still safer than a failed VBAC for baby. does that make sense?) Basically, they are both good choices, but it certainly doesn't hurt to educate on both sides and even discuss it all with the doctor or hospital. Maybe they can't change for you, but maybe they will 'get with times' from hearing from moms like you!

Here is the National Health Institute long statement about VBAC/RCS:

http://consensus.nih.gov/2010/vbacstatement.htm

And here is ACOG's statement about VBAC/VBA2C-

http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr07-21-10-1.cfm

#23 of 81 Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Thank you for the links! Yes, it is a hospital ban, and people have been fighting it for years. As for home birth, or HBAC, I'm all for it, but the home birth midwives here refuse to take me on even for prenatal care. They won't see me, at all. I've been looking into this since my son was born over two years ago.

I can do a VBAC or a birth center birth in the next city, a three-hour drive. This is something I may still do. The logistics are a bit overwhelming. I am the breadwinner, and pretty much need to work as long as possible up to my birth. However, I can't imagine us driving down there with me in labor, and leaving my son at home. We have no family in town or in the next city. All family lives out of state. We literally live paycheck to paycheck and don't have the resources to rent a hotel for even a week, or an apartment, as I've heard that some people in my situation do. I could network to find strangers to stay with, but the thought of doing so with a toddler, for an indefinite period of time, seems impossibly overwhelming.

I went into labor with my son at 38 weeks, so we're looking at about a two or three week window, unless we drive down with me in labor and drive back up with a newborn.

You can see why I'm overwhelmed with my "choices." However, I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP!!! I just want to make it clear to some of the readers of this forum that some things are not as simple and straightforward as one might assume.

#24 of 81 Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post

Being told I shouldn't talk about the benefits of RCS is NOT helpful. Being told there shouldn't be a thread like this sucks, when there are a million home birth threads that I am left out of. And don't tell me to go to a mainstream forum. I am a long-term breastfeeding, co-sleeping, selective vaxing, babywearing, AP mama who just happens, through unfortunate circumstances, to be considering an RCS.

I didn't tell you that a littlesandy.  Do NOT misquote me.  I simply stated that it was a sad when when mothering is hosting threads about how easy planned c-sections can be.  You can have a thread that talks about the benefits of RCS if you want.  But why not do everyone a favor and start it in a more APPROPRIATE forum and give it an APPROPRIATE name.  If you want to get mad that I'm writing that go ahead.  But this IS mothering.  And this IS a VBAC forum.  It should be a safe place for women to talk about their desire for VBAC - not read about how great RCS are!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seili View Post

Madelinesmama, yeah, I've always been surprised, too. I'm grateful for it because then the breastfeeding is a bear of pain!I don't think some people always understand that having a repeat c-section can be an okay choice for some people. Both a VBAC and RCS can have good and bad points. Statistically, a VBAC is still considered safer for mom and a RCS is considered safer for baby, so everybody has to decide for themselves how that applies to them. Though, a good, successful VBAC is better for both if it can be obtained and RCS can be worse for future pregnancies. All things to consider.You hear a lot how elective c-sections are 3x more dangerous than vaginal births, but that is actually for a completely elective c-section. It excludes medical reasons- like a scar from a previous c-section. Basically, it seems that completely elective c-sections and a planned home birth with a midwife are equal in 'danger', statistically.

Completely elective?  Can you define that?  What does it mean to be completely elective and how does "medical reasons" factor into that?  Are you trying to say the study ONLY included 1st time c-section moms who chose a c-section for no medical reason at all?  Not likely (there just aren't enough of them).  But link me the study.  Moms who have a RCS are at least twice as likely to die as moms who choose VBAC.  The risk of a UR is 0.4% in spontaneous labor.  The risk of a baby dying following a UR is 6%.

Quote:

But, dlm, why is sad that there could be a thread about c-sections being okay? Everyone here has had a c-section, so they know whether or not it applied to them. C-sections can be just fine, though, I do think that many women are capable of having a VBAC. I just don't think it's a huge deal either way- especially if you make an informed decision.

Again, please read what I wrote.  It's MOTHERING.  You clearly haven't been here that long so you don't really understand this board.  And you are posting this stuff in a VBAC forum.  Why would post how great c-sections and RCS are in a VBAC forum?  On a board that was once devoted to natural parenting?  Years ago, there was debate on including a c-section forum (which I actually supported).  But it was voted down b/c the site did not want to host these types of threads (talking about the benefits of elective c-sections).  So that's why.  I don't expect you to understand but that's how this site was for many years.  It's sad to see the very pro-mainstream, pro-elective surgical birth sentiments infiltrate this board and especially this forum.  :(

Why don't you guys ask for a c-section forum now?  This board is changing and they might be receptive to it now.  I think that would be a more appropriate place for these discussions. 

#25 of 81 Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Wow.

maeby likes this.

#26 of 81 Old 10-25-2011, 11:08 AM

yeah wow.  rolleyes.gif

It is a sad day at mothering.com.  Very sad.  I miss the old mothering.  Now i understand why so many people left.  :(

#27 of 81 Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Sorry that you've had a hard time, Storm Bride- I don't think that's unusual- it is major surgery. Not something to take likely if you don't need it. Did you start having your c-sections a while ago? I wonder if that could make a difference? I have no idea. But I do wonder if some of the techniques get better as time goes on, besides just the common low transverse instead of vertical now. But, every birth and every body is different.

My first was in '93, and that was pretty hellish, but mostly because they wouldn't let me eat. (They wouldn't with my others, either, but I learned to lie about passing gas and to sneak food in.)

The single biggest difference, in terms of recovery, that I've personally experienced was stitches vs. staples for the skin closure. I had staples for four of them, and stitches (at my request) for the last one. The difference was amazing. I was both considerably more mobile and in considerably less pain. I'd have never known how much difference it could make if I'd only ever had the staples, and would never have guessed it could be as significant as it was. I heartily recommend stitches to anyone who can't avoid a c-section.

#28 of 81 Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:

I was really just responding to Storm Bride who said she didn't know how someone could have major surgery without major pain. I was just explaining how I did it.

I wasn't really addressing hte first few days. I've never found that pain meds take away the pain, anyway. But, I meant afterwards. I've had pretty serious pain for the first couple of weeks, not days, with all of mine (and much, much longer with my fourth one, but that's a whole, ugly, nightmare saga, and the physical pain was actually the best part, because it distracted me). I get the "lots of pain meds" at first part. I just get kind of jealous of people who talk about stopping pain meds after a couple days, and not really having trouble. I stop the pain meds, too (the few I take), but it's not because it doesn't hurt. It's because I really, really hate them. It hurts.

I know people heal differently. It just still boggles me that people can be mostly pain free from an injury like that in just a couple days. I tend to think of you all as the surgical patient equivalent of Bruce Willis In Die Hard (running around with cut up feet, and wounds everywhere, and not even seeming to be in pain - just tired).

#29 of 81 Old 10-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:

yeah wow.  rolleyes.gif

It is a sad day at mothering.com.  Very sad.  I miss the old mothering.  Now i understand why so many people left.  :(

Did you read my post? How is my situation my fault? I feel like I've had a burning C put on my lawn and been told that the neighborhood is going to hell because people like me. I'm in a bad situation with lack of choices, one that is devastating to me. And I was talking about VBAC and the lack of good choices for having one, so why is this an inappropriate forum? My possibly facing an RCS has nothing to do any supposed changes here at Mothering. I won't discuss my limited birth options here anymore. I'm sorry. Thank you for compounding my total and complete sense of failure and isolation.

#30 of 81 Old 10-25-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

dlm, I think you might be flipping out a little over the c-section factor. Even if a woman wants a VBAC, it doesn't necessarily mean that she feels sad about her c-section. It just means that she is a good candidate for a VBAC, so why not attempt that instead? That is a recommended idea! Also, even if a woman does want a VBAC, some still will end up being RCS, so it is best to have all the education about both of them and see that they can both have good points, too.

Have you read the NHI statement on VBAC/RCS?

http://consensus.nih.gov/2010/vbacstatement.htm

And here is the study about elective c-sections vs vaginal birth (but excludes medical reasons, like a previous c-section):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18307481

Sometimes when we just read the headlines and such it will seem to stick in our brains that it is all of one thing...like a c-section....but it's often not the whole truth. I don't know that they had to first time moms; they were just first time c-sections, that were completely elective.

And on the Facebook page, there are many naturally-minded women who are wanting VBAC's. Some aren't happy at the time with their c-sections/ others are okay or even happy with it.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page