Mothering Forum banner

VBAC less than 18mo after c-section

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Haley Bixby 
#1 ·
I am 7 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child and I am planning on a vbac. There will only be 17 months in between my previous c-section and vbac and there are so many people telling me I won't be able to choose a vbac because they require at least 18 months in between. Is this true? Is there anyone on here who has had a successful vbac under 18 months after their c-section? I have my heart set on a vbac and I will be heartbroken if I am not at least given the chance to vbac. Thanks for your support!

#2 ·
Many providers have a preference for 18-24 months between births, but you can still VBAC with less. As a doula, I had a client have a successful VBAC with just over 12 months between births. If 17 months vs. 18 months is a deal-breaker for a provider supporting your VBAC then he/she isn't really VBAC supportive and it is better to find that out now and find a better provider.

#4 ·
Totally agree with cairo also. I had 13mths between my c/s and VBAC. The best thing is make sure you have a very supportive OB/midwife and dont hesitate to ask questions and lots of them. The more questions you ask the more you will see how supportive they are of VBACs. Good luck :).

#5 ·
My VBAC was just under 12 months after my C-section and it all went fine. I had mine in 1990, though, when the accepted wisdom was to try for VBAC if at all possible. My doctor and I went all through my pregnancy with the goal of VBAC and we succeeded. Finding the right health care provider will be key.

#8 ·
I had a HBAC 15 months after my c/s. I was told lots of different things by different people, but in the end the decision is yours to make. I had an amazing birth with DS2 after all the drama of DS1's birth.

The key for me was finding a CP that believed in my ability to birth, and learning how to relax my body during labor.

#9 ·
Thank you all so much for your support! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. We have been out of internet for 2 weeks and it's finally back up! I am very hopeful about the vbac and now feel even better since I read what you all wrote. I will let you know how it goes!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.