VBAC for Mama Who Doesn't Appear to Go into Labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pregnancy with babe #1 went 42 weeks and required induction with castor oil.  DD had shoulder dystocia at 9 lb. 3 oz.  Frightening delivery.  Pregnancy with babe #2 went 43 weeks and required induction with castor oil and blue & black cohosh tincture combined.  DS was born at 9 lb. 10 oz. and required transport for emergency cesarean after 4 hrs. of pushing and no descent but distressed baby (the rare cephalopelvic disproportion it seems?).

Recovery from this cesarean has been tremendous.

We're considering baby #3 now, 18-months later, and while I've consulted with OBs, doulas and midwives about my big babies and inability to go into labor on my own, I'm not certain my research is done.

I was determined to avoid Pitocin and I've won, as I won't encounter Pitocin with a VBAC.

So, how might I support my body's movement toward labor and when?  And how might I know who the right provider for me might be?

Thanks in advance for any support, ideas or suggestions!

Maria

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
#2 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Hi there.  I'm so sorry for your frightening deliveries.  Both of them must have been scary.  I can relate to you a little.  I had a c/section with my first baby because of non reactive fhts.  She stopped moving at 37 weeks and I had to have an emergency c/section.

My next two births were attempted VBACs.  I labored 5 days with the first attempt, got to 9 cm and my cervix swelled.  It took me 12 hours to get there from 6 cm.  The second attempt was very similar.  I labored for 4 days with no descent and ended up with another c/section.  This was an attempted HBA2C.

I searched for years trying to find an answer to why my births went the way they did.  About 3 years after the birth of my 3rd baby I had a car accident, was x-rayed and found that I have a fused sacrum.  My last vertabrae is fused to my sacrum...and it is inflexible for birth.  It was something I was born with and not something that the accident caused.

When I got pregnant with my 4th baby, I found a fantastic OB (ruled out homebirth b/c I'd tried that already, I felt I'd need some intervention)  and I paid a TON of attention to the position of the baby and the position of my pelvis.  I learned that position is much more important than size and that a huge baby in a good position could come out but a tiny baby with a slightly crooked head could be stuck forever.

I know that you've already had shoulder dystocia and gotten stuck, so my advice to you would be to find a provider who has some very gentle ways of inducing you if you reach 42 weeks again...herbs, EPO, membrane stripping if needed, acupunture/pressure, etc.

Take yoga classes to get your pelvis accustomed to opening...get on www.spinningbabies.com frequently and use it as your bible for pregnance and labor.  I did.  Don't ever sit for long periods of time leaning back.  Always keep your belly button pointing straight ahead or down.  (keeps baby from being posterior)  See a chiropractor regularly to make sure that your pelvis/hips/back is aligned.  (www.icpa4kids.com is a great place to look...you want someone webster certified...this will also help you go into labor when you are ready)  when you start labor, keep yourself upright no matter what, walk, squat, dance, sit on the toilet, move, sway, stay in hands and knees...if you have to lie down, alternate sides. I, literally, spent 2-3 hours every night in the hands and knees position when I was pregnant.

I did end up having a VBA3C with that doc, but it wasn't easy.  I found out that my second baby was posterior and that's why I had the cervical swelling.  Position is so important, don't underestimate it... and you might want to check your anatomy (by x-ray) to see if there is something unusual going on.  I had no idea.  You might need some specialized positioning if there is an abnormality...and most of all, you need a supportive provider who will guide you on all these things.

Good luck!!

VBA3C mama!  vbac.giflactivist.gifintactivist.giffambedsingle1.gifribboncesarean.gifsupermod.gifchicken3.gif  grouphug.gif       

#3 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 PM

There's an herbal supplement called 5W that might help...I've never taken it but you are supposed to start 5 weeks before you are due.  You can also take EPO by mouth and internally (against the cervix) about 4 weeks before you are due.  RRL tea is supposed to help...and you'v heard all the other methods, I'm sure, sex, spicy food, eggplant, pineapple, and on and on...LOL...(ok, the sex does work sometimes but I have my doubts about the others!)

VBA3C mama!  vbac.giflactivist.gifintactivist.giffambedsingle1.gifribboncesarean.gifsupermod.gifchicken3.gif  grouphug.gif       

#4 of 8 Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you had your vitamin d levels checked?  I read somewhere that low vit d levels can cause moms to have problems going into labor.  Vitamindcouncil.org may have some resources. 

I take 8,000 iu's to get my level above 50.  And I'm in the sun every day. 

Just a thought!  Keep us posted. 

#5 of 8 Old 12-10-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies - and the deep sharing.  Very meaningful.  My midwife had me on 5-W in pregnancy number 2.  Can't quite remember if her intentions were use of it for labor encouragement.  

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
#6 of 8 Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting.  Yes, my d levels were checked about a year ago and I was deficient......I wonder if you remember where you read the connection between vit d and labor.....I poked around vitamindcouncil.org briefly but didn't find reference to it.  Perhaps I'll do more investigating.  Very intriguing!!  Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK View Post

Have you had your vitamin d levels checked?  I read somewhere that low vit d levels can cause moms to have problems going into labor.  Vitamindcouncil.org may have some resources. 

I take 8,000 iu's to get my level above 50.  And I'm in the sun every day. 

Just a thought!  Keep us posted. 

#7 of 8 Old 12-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Is there any possibility your dates were off? Just buying you more time might help, too. I don't advocate lying, but as a PCOS mama, I'm very aware of the importance of calculating the date correctly.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#8 of 8 Old 12-10-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

AlexisT, we know the date of conception so I'm imagining there is little possibility dates were off.  Yes, I feel you on "buying time."  Something to note when we're ready to make decisions about provider.....

THank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

Is there any possibility your dates were off? Just buying you more time might help, too. I don't advocate lying, but as a PCOS mama, I'm very aware of the importance of calculating the date correctly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page