Home or hospital for VBAC? Does length of time between births matter for that? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-29-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Had a premature c-section in late November, low transverse incision, closed with a single layer (though I repeatedly requested a double layer). Delivering doctor told me in recovery (and confirmed at my 6-week follow-up) that I should have no problem delivering vaginally in the future.

I've had two prior vaginal deliveries, so I know full well my body is capable. I've found a supportive OB and will be seeing her for any future pregnancies. My DD was born in a hospital and DS was born at home. I want to have another homebirth, and my midwife will attend a HBAC, if that's what I choose. The OB that I'll be seeing is supportive of a homebirth, if it's at least 18 months after the previous birth. 

The hospital where my OB is at is 40 minutes away, but we're hopefully moving to a house later this summer that is RIGHT BEHIND a different hospital. Like, I can almost see it from the backyard, and it would take about 10 minutes or less to walk there.

I'm really torn. I don't know if I should try for a HBAC or just go to the hospital. Or what if I try for a homebirth and have to transfer just to the local hospital where nobody knows me?

Would the length of time between births matter? My midwife said 15 months is the minimum she recommends, and this OB said 18 months to allow the scar to fully heal.

I just don't know.

Of course, it's possible that none of these questions will matter at all. First, I'd have to get pregnant, and who knows if that would even happen.
  Then, I'd have to carry to term, and I didn't even reach my third trimester last time.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody?  :cry:

#3 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would opt for a homebirth if that is what you want.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 12 Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 PM

Personally I would try for a homebirth, especially since the hospital is so close.

Incisions take about 12 weeks to heal completely. Of course, that does in no way suggest one should get pregnant 12 weeks after their c-section!  9 months from birth to conception is recommended by most care providers for all pregnancies, c-section or not for a multitude of reasons.

Good luck

#5 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 03:28 PM

If you want a homebirth that is what I would try for! You should have the birth you want!

According to childbirthconnection.org, an evidence-based resource, you have an increased risk of complications if it hasn't been 18 months between the surgery and the second birth.

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10211

#6 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to my MW today, and am going to talk to yet another OB next month (who is the regional VBAC guru) to get more "peace of mind," but it's looking more and more like we will be waiting until August to start trying.

Ironically, though, our other "TTC delays" were for financial reasons, and now, we're in the absolute best financial position we've ever been in, but now we have to delay for health reasons, lol.

#7 of 12 Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM

I had my second child in a hopital by vbac, 17 months after the birth of my first via c-section.  I had a really supportive and encouraging OB who worked with like-minded OBs.  They all assured me that the rate of rupture was only slightly higher for a scar fewer than 2 years old and still very similar to the rate for a person who has never had a c-section. 

#8 of 12 Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM

Home Birth for sure.  If you go to the hospital you will be more likely to have another c-s just because it is the hospital and they usually prefer c-s.  Just the atmosphere itself will interfere with a good labor.  All the bright lights and the monitors that the baby does not like...  Read as much as you can on this.  "Trust Your Body Trust Your Baby", "Pushed" and "Childbirth without Fear" are good to start.

#9 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Yes, the risks are slightly higher but we are already talking about a % of a % with any VBAC so slightly higher risk to me, personally, it not a big deal.

I did have a VBAC 14 months after the c-section of my first baby. It's possible.

However, you are wise to do what YOU and your family are comfortable with. 
Besides, if I knew then what I know now, I too would have waited longer to conceive my 2nd child. It's just hard on a body to have back to back pregnancies.

Good luck!

#10 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 01:52 PM

Both my CS were closed in a running locked fashion with only 1 layer of 0 Vicryl, after my VBAC attempt (only failed because baby girl was OP and not descending past 0 even after 2 hours of pushing) that Section was also closed with only 1 layer, it's pretty standard. And my doc has already approved me for a VBA3C when I decide to have baby number 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post

Had a premature c-section in late November, low transverse incision, closed with a single layer (though I repeatedly requested a double layer). Delivering doctor told me in recovery (and confirmed at my 6-week follow-up) that I should have no problem delivering vaginally in the future.

I've had two prior vaginal deliveries, so I know full well my body is capable. I've found a supportive OB and will be seeing her for any future pregnancies. My DD was born in a hospital and DS was born at home. I want to have another homebirth, and my midwife will attend a HBAC, if that's what I choose. The OB that I'll be seeing is supportive of a homebirth, if it's at least 18 months after the previous birth. 

The hospital where my OB is at is 40 minutes away, but we're hopefully moving to a house later this summer that is RIGHT BEHIND a different hospital. Like, I can almost see it from the backyard, and it would take about 10 minutes or less to walk there.

I'm really torn. I don't know if I should try for a HBAC or just go to the hospital. Or what if I try for a homebirth and have to transfer just to the local hospital where nobody knows me?

Would the length of time between births matter? My midwife said 15 months is the minimum she recommends, and this OB said 18 months to allow the scar to fully heal.

I just don't know.

Of course, it's possible that none of these questions will matter at all. First, I'd have to get pregnant, and who knows if that would even happen.
  Then, I'd have to carry to term, and I didn't even reach my third trimester last time.

Mama to Kylee, my Angel who is eternally 7 1/2 months, medically necessary CS in June 2004 at 33 weeks due to severe Pre-e after a LifeFlight and hard, induced, failed labor, Leonidas, Unnecesarean due to a very Pro-CS/Very impatient OB in late 2007, and Baileyana, attempted VBA2C on June 14, 2011.

#11 of 12 Old 03-17-2012, 10:33 PM

I had a hbac (when my breech c/s babe was 2 3/4ths yrs old). To me it took almost this long (well 2 yrs at conception of the second) to feel normal/me again so I'm glad I waited that long..plus my c/s scar itched for a good 18 months after so I have to think inside was healing still too. My kids are at least now pretty close/play alot/fight alot/etc. So to me, they are a good age gap (honestly I couldn't have pushed it much b/c my cycle didn't return until my oldest was 19  months).

I'm pg w/ my 3rd and my hbac babe will be 2 1/2 yrs. I haven't decided on 2hbac or hosptial birth yet. I'm feeling like b/c of having two other kids I can't afford any risks at all..but then i also know interventions and risks of them are soooo much more likely in a hospital. Wouldn't I feel silly at the end of the day choose a hospital birth and ending up w/ a c/s and longer recovery and feeling like if I had been at home things would have been okay. Still..I can't shake the worries/fears of not having 'immediate" access to help if its needed. I am also wondering, if I don't 100% know that I want a h-birth then maybe I'm not a good candidate for one.

Not sure if these thoughts clarify your own thoughts..but...just incase my worries help you process, there they are.

#12 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 AM

I had a HBAC 15 months after my c/s. 2nd baby was bigger and had a nucal arm and I still had a much easier birth, but a lot of things were different for me 2nd time around. I had a very supportive CNM with a lot of experience delivering VBAC babies, and I didn't have the PROM of my first labor (that ultimately led to my hospital transfer and then c/s) I loved being able to birth at home, and my midwife never questioned how closely together my pregnancies were. I will say that it is tough on the body postpartum for me this time, but I'm an older mama (39) and had 3 pregnancies in 2 years, so my body hasn't gone back into shape as quickly this time. I am glad however that my boys are close in age and they already show so much love for each other at only 21 & 6 months. There are benefits and drawbacks to both waiting and having them close together, so only you can decide what is the right option for you.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page