Prostaglandins in semen and VBACs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This may be a bit of a stretch, but after reading about how dangerous artificial prostaglandins are when used to induce a VBAC labor, is there anything to worry about with the prostaglandins that are naturally present in semen?  I am planning on asking my midwife this very question at my 18 week appt later this week, but I thought I would check here first to see if anyone knew anything about it.

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 PM

Yes I just read this.  I will copy and paste what I read."

"The other benefit to having sex in labor (other than it feels good!) comes in the form of relaxin. Relaxin is a hormone found in the seminal fluid of mammals (men included). Studies have shown it softens the cervix and lengthens the pelvic ligaments, allowing for easier passage of the baby (during conception it allows for easier passage of the sperm).
In the hospital, many women are given prostaglandin inserts which contain relaxin.
What they may not realize, however, is that pig semen is the source of the relaxin (more recently this is being replaced with synthetic substances)."

This was on the http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com  website

Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Unless you are at risk for a premature labor, sex including semen does not increase your risks.

Enjoy. :)

User Tag List