Settle a debate - how long between C-section and the next birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This question came up on another chatboard, and everyone had slightly different answers. 

If a woman has a c-section, what's the minimum amount of time between births for a VBAC? My midwife told me two years between births, but another midwife mentioned waiting 2 years to conceive the next child. Help settle this debate?

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#2 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM

It's not that easy although I wish it was.  There are no magic numbers for this.  It depends on the woman and her health and why she had a c-s.  I would recommend at least 17 months but a woman can have success with a year or less.  I am planing my vba3c this july and I waited about 19 months but planned on doing it at 17.  There is a lady on another forum who is only a few months PP and is pregnant and wants a vbac. 

#3 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM

The timing of subsequent pregnancies is related to the risk of uterine rupture.  It is defined by the time between births.  When babies birthdays are less than 18 months apart, there is an increased risk of rupture.  Once the birth dates are more than two years, there are no further advantages in reducing the risk of rupture.  In general there seem to be some nutritional values to mom and babies when the birth dates are more than two years apart, particularly when breastfeeding, but the differences are small, and personal choice should play a role in determining the best spacing for your family.

Mom to three beautiful children.
#4 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haelmoon View Post

The timing of subsequent pregnancies is related to the risk of uterine rupture.  It is defined by the time between births.  When babies birthdays are less than 18 months apart, there is an increased risk of rupture.  Once the birth dates are more than two years, there are no further advantages in reducing the risk of rupture.  In general there seem to be some nutritional values to mom and babies when the birth dates are more than two years apart, particularly when breastfeeding, but the differences are small, and personal choice should play a role in determining the best spacing for your family.

truedat.gif This is an evidence-based answer. http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10211 thumbsup.gif

#5 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM

Generally , one should always have about 2 years space between deliveries , but that goes for any woman , not just vbacs .

There is an old midwife´s saying " it takes the body 40 weeks to be pregnant and 40 weeks to become un - pregnant again "

It is simply too draining for the system , if pregnancies are too close to each other .

That said , I had my first ( planned and necessary due to fetal malposition ) cs in 97 , then got pregnant despite birth control about 5 months after that and even though , I ended up having another one because my baby got stuck on the way out , never had any problems with my scar .

Then got pregnant , when number 2 was 1 year and 6 months and had a normal , uneventful delivery and another one 3 years after that .

Third cs in 2010 , due to a horrible finnish hospital doing EVERYTHING wrong , one possibly could and ending up with another cs because of fetal heart problems .

Got pregnant exactly 9 months after that and just had a wonderful and absolutely uneventful delivery , without my scar acting up even once . 

So , anything is possible , but the longer one waits and gives her scar time to heal , the higher the chance of things going well , of course 

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#6 of 9 Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
My c-section is not typical, as it was done to save my and baby's life when I was just under 26 weeks pregnant, so I didn't have the full 40-week stress of a pregnancy on my body. I visited with three OBs (including our regional VBAC guru who has helped women VBAC twins, breech, etc., I've heard) and a midwife, and the VBAC guru generally recommends a woman wait 9-12 months to conceive again, so 15-21 months between deliveries. I asked him in my case when I could try for a pregnancy and have a VBAC, and he said, "now." (This was in March when I was just under three months postpartum.) I was not breastfeeding and had healed wonderfully with no issues, so DH and I went forth with our TTCing plan and are in the 2WW.

My next pregnancy will have to be highly monitored due to the random complications last time, but if I make it to 37 weeks, I'm going to try for a HBAC, with the full support of my midwife and two of the three OBs. (The third one was the doctor who delivered Jonathan, at a large teaching hospital, so of course he's going to recommend the hospital.) But even the delivering doctor, who would know best of the three of them what my surgery was like (although I got my op report and let the other two look at it), said that I could get pregnant again after three months. He said that at my 6-week checkup, though, so I'm not for sure if he meant three months from delivery or three months from my 6-week checkup or three cycles or what.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#7 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM

I've read a lot that 18 months to 2 years is best to get pregnant and have a more successful VBAC

#8 of 9 Old 04-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
If I go to 40 weeks with this newly-baking bean, I'll have exactly 13 months between my c-section and this birth.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#9 of 9 Old 04-14-2012, 06:33 PM

Different studies have different outcomes so it depends on the study you look at and the "risk" you are willing to take. 

Here is some info on the studies.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page