Mothering Forum banner

Looking for information for VBA2C!

912 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  claudi81 
#1 ·
Hello, ladies! I'm doing some early research as I'm not planning to deliver until November. My c-sections were in December 2004 and June 2006 (low transverse incision both times - one scar) and I'd really like to have a vaginal delivery this time around, if possible. So, any and all information would be helpful!

Thank you!

#2 ·
I only had one C/S then 2 (soon to be 3) VBAC's, but I'd try ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network) for info on supportive providers in your area. Not sure how you are planning to deliver - hospital or home, OB or midwife, medicated or non - but they often have connections with the most supportive providers because they can be difficult to find. Also, when you are in your 3rd trimester an ultrasound can sometimes determine scar thickness and that can make a provider more comfortable with assisting in a VBAC, whether just one or more. Don't know what method of childbirth education you used but I went with the Bradley Method for my first VBAC and it helped me a great deal to understand not only what my body was doing but how to cope with it, what positions could help during labor and delivery, and how to stick to your guns when providers start putting unnecessary pressure on you to give in to RCS. I hope you have a healthy pregnancy and get the birth you are hoping for! Best of luck!

#3 ·
I had 2 cesareans , low transverse scar both times , then 2 natural deliveries , another cs , then 18 months later another natural delivery .

There were a few things , I did , which I believe , greatly increased my chances .

First , try to stay as fit and active as possible , but don´t overdo the heavy lifting , or anything else , that may put additional strain on your scar .

Some people say , it doesn´t matter , but in my opinion , it never hurts to be kind to your body and if it helps to increase your chance of a vbac , great !

I have also taken 1000 mg EPO from about 28 weeks on a daily basis !

Another thing , you can ask your doctor towards the end , is to check for scar tissue inside your cervix . This can greatly inhibit your dilation and I don´t know the reason , why you had your cs , but there are many different reasons , why you can be scar tissue .

Don´t let them push you to go into labor , in a normal , uneventful pregnancy , baby and your body know best , when it´s time to come out , not the doctor .

Once you are in labor , do not let them rush you , you DO NOT have to dilate so much in such a time frame .

The 1 cm per hour rule is
censored.gif

With my last baby ( vba3c ) , it took me 14 hours to go from 3 cm , that I was open , when I came into hospital with to full dilation and baby popping out and I had dilated fully with 4 of my others , so I would be expected to " go fast " .

Your body can feel , how fast it needs to go , to put the least possible strain on your scar and it is a proven fact , that the less medical intervention is done , the lower the rupture rate is .

Another thing , if at all possible , avoid an epidural . They are not necessary , if anything , to me it sometimes seems , that doctors like to push them on women , in the hope of things going wrong , just so they can say , " see , we tried , but your vbac was bound to fail from the start "

Your cs have been quite a long time ago , so I would not worry about your scar , time is definitely playing in your favor and since you are getting ready for it so early , yoiu have lots of time to prepare yourself in the best possible way .

Another thing , before I had my last baby , the doctor measured my scar to determine thickness and he told me , that if the scar is thicker than 0.8 mm , the chance is higher , that it is not going to rupture , but he also said , that no one can conclusively predict , if a scar will give way or not , and he has seen vbacs , where the scar was very , very thin and all went well , so don´t let them scare you with the " your scar is too thin " tactic .

So , I hope , I could help you , feel free to PM me , if you have anymore detailed questions , I am happy to help , my vbacs , especially the last one , were nothing short of miraculous to me and the feeling , I had afterwards is something , you cannot describe .

It was all sooooo worth it !

#4 ·
I had a VBA2C 1 year ago exactly it was was post term and lightly induced with pit, exactly 15 months after my last c-section. everything went great I took it one step at a time. Everything went great!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.