Doesn't anybody want to VBAC where I live? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I look at this site and see so many people driving for hours to find somebody to allow them to VBAC, or deliver a vaginal breech.

I had a VBAC with #3--so part of my discussion is that I had a VBAC myself.

I plant the seed at the first prenatal----most are shocked that it is even an option--then I get some to just up and get their records---and have made less than kind comments about me recommending such a dangerous thing---I have been called VBAC Quack etc.

I have over 90% success rate when I lived in a "more progressive city"--so it just kills me to hear that the mother does not want to try----I have to respect their wishes--and I always say they have lots of time to think it over and read about it---I certainly don't expect a decision early on----many need time to mull it over.  But---I am I think dealing with "family" who play a huge role----"my family would like to plan it",  "My family thinks it is unsafe",   "My family...."

Last month I had to do 3 sections on excellent VBAC candidates because they did not want to VBAC----and I have another to do next week--who is also an excellent candidate---but "I don't even want to consider it-----I don't want to labor---and even if I come in at 8 cm---I want to be sectioned"     Arrggghhhh!!  Yet I can't make her feel bad about her decision-----that would be demeaning to her!  

I always say I will respect their wishes--and the final decision is up to them  but really do put VBAC in a positive light---and the fact that I did it myself----I would think is a good convincing point.

Ironic isn't it-----you all want it--- and I can't give it away!!!   There are no doulas or midwives here at all.

You want somebody to do a vaginal breech, and although I did a few last year---there were still some who didn't want to do it.

You want non-intervention birth--and I get asked about how quickly they can get an epidural at the first visit!   I spend their whole pregnancy trying to dispel the fear of labor--and I often spend 30 mins at every visit.

Oh well---back to the labor floor----got a baby coming---she's been fully dilated for 4 hours---and just now starting to get an urge---epidural at 6 cm---she is so glad she chose to get the epidural---and she IS going to get a vaginal birth!!!!

#2 of 31 Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Does your local ICAN group know you?  lol   Many women near me travel an hour or more for a VBAC, especially a low intervention VBAC.  :)

I live in an area where many woman are more than happy to sign up for the repeat c-section.  I wonder about that a lot but I think in many cases their 1st labors were so horrible that they really don't want to repeat that.  :(

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#3 of 31 Old 04-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Good point about ICAN.  Also if there are any local mothering/birth groups....  I go to a mothering/birth circle once a month and they often have speakers like chiropractors to teach attendees about options for birthing, parenting, etc.  This might be your mission, obdoc!

#4 of 31 Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 PM

I'm driving over an hour and a half to get my water VBAC after 2 successful, uncomplicated VBAC's, one a water birth because "standards have changed". If I knew doctors in my state who are as open as you seem to be to allowing women to let their bodies work naturally I would be referring everyone I knew.

My only question is, when women are insisting on RCS, do you point out that there are as many risks involved for them and for their baby as there are with VBAC? Have you recommended hypnobirthing, alternative childbirth classes? Maybe if you put together information clearly outlining the pros and cons to both VBAC and RCS, more women would choose to at least attempt VBAC, especially if they knew pain meds were available (although I disagree with meds too but for some I suppose it's a valid choice). 

I'm glad there are OB's in some part of this country that aren't so adamant about VBAC's being unsafe and more trouble than their worth, I wish more OBs and hospitals here would give birth the respect it deserves!

Never give up your rights

chicken3.gif waterbirth.jpg vbac.gif

Mother of 4 boys, 5 if you count my husband

#5 of 31 Old 04-12-2012, 03:17 PM

Where are you doing vbac's?
#6 of 31 Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBACmama4 View Post

I'm driving over an hour and a half to get my water VBAC after 2 successful, uncomplicated VBAC's, one a water birth because "standards have changed". If I knew doctors in my state who are as open as you seem to be to allowing women to let their bodies work naturally I would be referring everyone I knew.

My only question is, when women are insisting on RCS, do you point out that there are as many risks involved for them and for their baby as there are with VBAC? Have you recommended hypnobirthing, alternative childbirth classes? Maybe if you put together information clearly outlining the pros and cons to both VBAC and RCS, more women would choose to at least attempt VBAC, especially if they knew pain meds were available (although I disagree with meds too but for some I suppose it's a valid choice). 

I'm glad there are OB's in some part of this country that aren't so adamant about VBAC's being unsafe and more trouble than their worth, I wish more OBs and hospitals here would give birth the respect it deserves!

I had a VBAC myself--so I paint VBAC in a VERY positive light--and ICAN doesn't EXIST near me---and since most women are on welfare---I can barely get them to go to ANY class---and we sure don't have ANYTHING on hypnobirth etc etc.   I spoke with Bonnie Mathison about this(she is the CHILBIRTHSOLUTIONS founder-----she looked---and sure enough---NADA!!!

And---hate to say it---but we have such a big drug problem here that I KNOW in my soul that many women HERE want that C. Section because they will get narcotics after the birth--and they always seem to need WAY more than the average woman--and I am stuck with that---they can sell half of their pills--and of course I can't tell them that they don't need as much pain pills although I do tell them that the amount I give them is ALL THEY GET---period--spread it out.  They get twice as much as a non-drug user just so they can't complain to the Medical Board that I don't meet their pain needs. All I have had to do with such a complaint is show the board their positive drug screens and the amount they got---end of story---but believe me----the population I deal with is NOT as a whole into taking care of themselves---let alone their fetus!

I DO tell them that we can make them comfortable--as I full well realize that a C. Section is typically the culmination of a crappy labor---I think it is a "given" that if you ended up in the OR---you didn't have a great time-----this manages to get a few---but well under 50% go for it.

#7 of 31 Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM

That is very unfortunate. I live less than 45 mins from Baltimore, MD which is the national capitol of the world (it seems) for drugs, crime and poor health care so I can completely understand what you're saying about women who don't care about their baby or themselves beyond making sure their prescriptions are filled. The only suggestion I'd have in that situation is to offer information sessions in your office and make them a mandatory requirement prior to allowing any patient an RCS. If they still decline there's nothing you can do, of course, but that is how things are best accomplished in the Baltimore area. People on welfare have to sit through financial counseling, are required to register with the workforce exchange to find a job, etc. The fact that these things are required doesn't mean everyone does them, a lot of times they just don't do it and their benefits get cancelled, but at least it makes them accountable for their decision. If I were you I'd be very frustrated too! 

#8 of 31 Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

The "information sessions" are pretty well each prenatal visit, literature--even advising them to go to MOTHERING (although it doesn't do much to garner any respect for docs)---and I often spend 30-40 mins on a prenatal visit---so they get lots of reinforcement.  After 5 pm---forget it---these women are not working---I am --and I have 3 children to get home to---and I am on solo call--so I am not doing anything AFTER 7-6 hours unless it is a call to the hospital for a delivery-----enough is enough.  Haven't taken a day off since August 3rd 2011---although I am taking ONE day on April 17th!!!!   Yippeeee --- a day away!!!

#9 of 31 Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 PM

Could you offer some informational/educational events to get the word out?  My local hospital offers free seminars on water birth, vbac, avoiding c-section, etc.  Or...could you start an ICAN chapter since there isn't one nearby?  If the 'once a cesarean always a cesarean' thing really is that pervasive where you are, it may take more than a few prenatal visits to change the culture...

VBACmama4 likes this.
#10 of 31 Old 04-13-2012, 04:54 PM

I'm trying for a VBAC in my area. There is only one Doctor in my whole county that does it, and thank the Lord he is in my city. I'm sorry you are having a hard time getting women to have one. It is kind of a nerve racking decision though. I still go back and forth as to if I really am going to go through it. I am more nervous giving birth this time then with the first. Because the first I just knew I would go through some pain for a bit, and then have an epidural. This time I am going without any medical intervention and the thought of how long it could take and how long I'll be in pain for really scares me. And before I didn't really look into the whole tearing or episiotomy thing, and I kind of freaked myself out about that. I feel like I already have a scar from a c-section do I really want my vag to look like Frankenstein's face. I'm sure a lot of women feel the way I do. Maybe if you just tried to understand their reservations and make them comfortable about the things they are scared of you might have better luck. 

#11 of 31 Old 04-13-2012, 04:54 PM

I'm trying for a VBAC in my area. There is only one Doctor in my whole county that does it, and thank the Lord he is in my city. I'm sorry you are having a hard time getting women to have one. It is kind of a nerve racking decision though. I still go back and forth as to if I really am going to go through it. I am more nervous giving birth this time then with the first. Because the first I just knew I would go through some pain for a bit, and then have an epidural. This time I am going without any medical intervention and the thought of how long it could take and how long I'll be in pain for really scares me. And before I didn't really look into the whole tearing or episiotomy thing, and I kind of freaked myself out about that. I feel like I already have a scar from a c-section do I really want my vag to look like Frankenstein's face. I'm sure a lot of women feel the way I do. Maybe if you just tried to understand their reservations and make them comfortable about the things they are scared of you might have better luck. 

#12 of 31 Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

"Maybe if you just tried to understand their reservations and make them comfortable about the things they are scared of you might have better luck."

Why the assumption that I don't understand their reservations? 

#13 of 31 Old 04-13-2012, 07:25 PM

@Princess, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling scared about your possible VBAC. This is kind of off topic for the post but if you need any info on natural pain management I know a few good methods that a lot of women swear by. I had a 4 day prodromal labor with my 1st VBAC (which is not typical, please don't let that scare you, I've only met maybe 2 other women who had prodromal labor at all) and I found a birthing tub helped dramatically, as did massage, relaxation, changing positions.. I've had friends who have tried hypnobirthing (or the Mongan Method if you'd like to google it) and I've also had friends who were terrified of pain but found that they responded to it remarkably well and their labors went quickly. The better you can relax the smoother things will go.

Also, tearing heals MUCH better than episiotomy, unless you have a major tear, in which case your doctor will probably do the episiotomy anyway. Because of the type of skin in that area, they usually heal pretty smoothly and there are ways to prevent major tears. Perineal massage especially with oils, taking your time while pushing rather than attempting to push the baby out in one motion will allow your skin to stretch naturally, and again, changing position can all help to prevent severe tearing. I had 7-10 stitches with each VBAC (this will be my 3rd) and each time I healed in just a few weeks and I have no extreme scarring or pain at the site. 

I wish you great success in your TOLAC, it's an incredible feeling to realize that you really can do it, and if it ends in another C/S at least you can say that you really did try :)

#14 of 31 Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 PM

I wasn't planning on responding to your post in response to my suggestion about starting a potential support group or required information session because it seemed pretty clear to me that you were only concerned enough to complain about your clients but not take action to further encourage them.. however, "marryme" above said basically what I would have said. I never said you had to be the one to give chair the support group or start the ICAN chapter, but offering it at your office, even if it's during the day at some point when you are willing to be there, would get a better response than just bombarding women at their OB appointments with info and pressure. I personally tend to tune out an overzealous doctor, especially when confronted one on one in the office under a paper gown or when I'm in a vulnerable position. Maybe they're not listening because you're not presenting the information in a way they want to hear. Make sure you're tone isn't one of condescension and that you're not making them feel inferior. Treating them with respect, even if you don't respect them as it seems you don't, would probably open a few more ears. 

I have 3, soon to be 4, kids as well and I know that when you are off the clock it's family time, but if you don't want advice from women who are in a position of your would-be clients, then why post here asking questions? Sometimes when you're dealing with people who are already tough to convince, approaching them with an alternative to sitting in on your office lecture might be appealing. Having other women in a group setting who are not doctors and are not using medical information to convince them could be just the support they need to change their mind. Having other women tell them how it actually FEELS to give birth and how incredible it is to accomplish something like that might give them reason to consider it. 

#15 of 31 Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

If you know of somebody who is willing to start up a group in this area---I have the space---is there anybody?????  40 miles north of Knoxville!

Lot of space.

Evidently---there is nothing I can do right!  Me being a woman who has given birth and had a VBAC gives me no insight??

So I am VERY happy to welcome anybody in the area who wants to take it on---doulas, midwives--ICAN    Free meeting space---any takers???  message me if you are interested!!!

#16 of 31 Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 PM

It's not your insight that is lacking, it's your attitude. I never said you can't do anything right, promoting a safer and healthier option for women whose birth you will be attending IS right. Attempting to educate and inform them about the risks vs. benefits of RCS as opposed to VBAC IS right. Being an OB with the attitude that a woman's body is made to labor and birth IS right, and rare in my experience and unfortunately the experience of many other women. But the way you respond to a post in an internet forum is enough for most people reading to get a clear picture of your bedside manor, which is more than half the reason why women switch providers, and again if you don't show respect for people who have placed the life of their child in your hands, you won't get a good result. 

As far as your statement that there are no sources of VBAC info immediately available in your area, here are some I found in a ten second Google search that might be worth referring to or even contacting yourself and perhaps setting up a partnership with:

Knoxville chapter of ICAN:  http://www.eokhq.com/profile/KnoxvilleDoulaBeautifulBirths (even though it's a distance ICAN is phenomenal at locating resources and engaging women to learn more about their VBAC options)

If you feel that is too far away here is the page from ICAN's site giving info on starting your own chapter: http://ican-online.org/chapter/search

Bradley Method providers in your area: http://www.birthsource.com/scripts/article.asp?articleid=366 (historically most Bradley instructors are very supportive of VBAC for healthy women)

#17 of 31 Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 PM

If your area is so bad, have you considered moving to an area that has more women seeking your style of Obstetrics?

#18 of 31 Old 04-14-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I said 50% choose NOT to VBAC----not to leave me---actually it is very rare for someone to transfer out of my practice and it is pretty well always because they are moving away----I guess because I respect their wishes--they DO stay with me---- and get their C. Section, which I try to make as pleasant an experience as possible---baby to mom right after cord cut---baby stays with mom/dad all the time,  no eating restrictions, --as much as you can do for post op anyway.

I think you are reading into my sentences and making some erroneous assumptions--- and then judging me based on that.

I can't remember a mother in some years that has transferred out due to any personality issue----I actually ENJOY talking with women.  We offer same day counseling referrals for substance abuse---but even though 35% of moms are addicted to drugs---it is very difficult to get them into a program--and this is actually a nationwide finding---not just here.  So --when was the last time you had an OB rub your back, or get you a drink, or bake you bread--or bring you breakfast and flowers from her home--which I do very often----how is THAT "bad bedside manner"??

I wonder if you had such a bad experience with a doctor that you cannot conceive of any doctor helping you to breastfeed or knitting a hat for your baby while she waits for you to deliver.  

I do give out LOTS of literature and internet resources (and mothering.com is on the list of resources--as is ICAN).  Where did you get the idea that I give out no information?  I use Google all the time to get information for patients.

Anyway---the offer is out there for free space to anybody interested in starting an ICAN chapter or Bradley classes----I'll provide the snacks.  I cannot do it --I am on call 24/7,  so if a mother comes in I would have to bow out---and that happens often.

#19 of 31 Old 04-14-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

mortgage and children in high school---not moving---like the area!!!

#20 of 31 Old 04-14-2012, 06:07 PM

There is an ICAN group IN Knoxville.  I don't think 40 miles is unreasonable for travel.  Have you ever made contact with the ICAN leader in Knoxville?  If she is the nearest chapter, women probably contact her for suggestions.  Years ago I was a regional coordinator in that area (that position is vacant right now unfortunately), and I had a heck of a time when women in your state contacted me.  The VBAC providers were few and far between.  Sometimes finding the VBAC supportive providers is random.  I met one at a church party. I met another one when I was visiting a local health clinic for a course I am taking.  I met a few by attending a meeting for the local holistic moms group (that's another idea if there is one of those near you).  I would love it if doctors emailed me to let me know they are happy to support VBAC.  I pass names around among local doulas as well.

The drug situation is very unfortunate.  I live in NJ and the inner city hospitals are the ones that do the most VBACs. 

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#21 of 31 Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 PM

I'm sorry if you're getting from what I'm writing that I'm judging you, I don't know you personally and I've never experienced your care, so I'm responding based on what you're writing. You asked why women would choose not to VBAC, so I responded with ways you might try to improve communication to get them to consider that. I've mentioned repeatedly that a supportive OB is hard to find and that the things you've said you do are exactly the reason I'd recommend a doctor like you to people I know. I've basically tried to explain, from a patients point of view, how some of your patients might feel based on your responses here which prompted you to respond that you can do "nothing right". I never said that you sited 50 % of patients leaving YOUR practice, I said that half of the reason women do leave ANY doctor is because of personality clashes and disdain with beside manner. I know I've done this myself. If that is not the case and you get along with your patients, wonderful, I hope you do because as I said I'd be happy to have an OB option that I could feel good about. I've used midwives with 2 of my 4 pregnancies because I have not had good experiences with OB's, but that doesn't make me feel that all of them are bad people and I have no reason to believe that you're the kind of doctor you say you are. My experiences have more to do with OB's who speak in terms of the only options being the options they see fit and the most natural birth I would be able to have would be tethered to a bed with constant fetal monitoring, no food or drink, etc so I have sought other options. That doesn't mean I believe all OB's are of the same mindset. I don't attempt to punish one person for what another has done. I'm simply responding to try to help, which was what I gathered from your original post that you wanted. Advice. 

I think I'll stop trying to answer your question since it seems you don't feel there is an answer other than drug use and lack of concern from your patients. Maybe that is the case and it's nothing you're doing personally, so I suppose it's something you'll have to live with no matter how frustrating. And I'm sure it is very frustrating, it must feel a lot like when I read posts from women advising others to get epis immediately and schedule their C-sections in advance. Maddening.

I do know that if you contact the Bradley Method organization, they might be able to pass on your offer to instructors and students in your area, and you could potentially have classes right there in your office coordinated through that instructor. There are birth centers here who do the same thing, as well as offering infant massage, lactation consulting, doulas, etc and they are highly successful. Best of luck. 

#22 of 31 Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 PM

I am originally from east TN, family is still there!  If you want to offer your space for ICAN, etc, perhaps it's just a matter of reaching out to the people in your community who can make that happen.  Give the Knoxville chapter a call.  Maybe they have people coming from your neck of the woods already and would be interested in starting a local chapter.  Maybe there are childbirth educators around you or in Knoxville who would love nothing more than to add a class in your office to their schedule.  Maybe the area homebirth midwives would be interested in knowing which birth/vbac-friendly OBs they can refer clients to if needed.  Etc, etc.  I get the cultural thing, and the drug thing with that area.  But having grown up in a small town there, I also get how invaluable a great OB can be in a community like that.  Having an OB who offers good information and choice and has respect for autonomy may be a slightly novel thing.  I don't know how long you've been practicing there, but give it time.  Some folks may be slow to trust the new doc from out of town...

#23 of 31 Old 04-15-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I made contact when I moved here 5 years ago--and my name is on their VBAC MD list---but transportation to there is too much for most people----and despite me giving their number and "mothering" and "birth solutions" and LaLeche League---the only classes given here are at the hospital--or at the health department on breast feeding--I have never had a mother take the time to go.  Like I previously said---50% will go for it---the other 50% will listen but then make it clear that a VBAC is not going to happen.  I will typically give them information and ask that they at least read about it and research it on-line--and not make a hasty decision---I will see them the next month and it is a "no-go"   So---I reiterate the risks of C. Section

Some women are seeking out care and are very interested in their pregnancy and up-coming birth---and those women will ask questions and you get to know each other quite well---it makes for a lovely birth---when everybody is chatting and knows each other and relaxed--and the family is involved.

Then there is a large faction of women (and men) who do not practice preventative health care---they go to the doctor when they are sick or they are pregnant---and really are very pragmatic---I often think of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs---it is hard to discuss "bonding", and "birth plans"--when the mother is on a different page---she could be thinking of how she is going to pay the bills, whether her husband is going to beat her up today, how she can get help with that abscessed tooth with no medical coverage, how to feed her other children that night.........she is at "basic needs" level-- of needing food, shelter and affection--and for those lucky enough to have that and have the luxury of planning what they would like to happen for their birth experience--I think that is beyond their scope.   We keep a well-stocked fridge--and always ask if a mother has eaten today---and have had them go directly to social services for food vouchers--and we have the number and address for the local "soup kitchen" in our Rolodex.  A great deal of our time in prenatal sessions is trying to resolve a pressing need---food being a big one.

It would be ideal if we had a system in place much like Holland--where  the country has midwives doing home births and working in partnership with MDs--and referring the high risk---VBACs are done in a hospital by midwives---best of both worlds--and then you get ONE YEAR of paid maternity leave--here you get 6 weeks if you are lucky---many women have to go back to work after a few days simply because they don't get paid time off.

FMLA may guarantee their position---but not their pay---so we have many women leaving their babies with relatives as they go back to work--entirely too early---they work right up until they go into labor.   This is the working poor---decent folks who are struggling to make ends meet---many times making too much to get Medicaid--yet facing hospital bills.   One woman made FIFTY dollars above the cut off for Medicaid--so because of that will face large bills---basically punished for working TOO MUCH!?!?!

Drugs ---35 % of babies spend about 2-4 weeks in hospital going through withdrawal.  Doctors and social workers--attempting to keep mother/baby unit together tried to have the baby go home on a reducing regimen that the parents (mother ) would give --but the mothers took even their baby's weaning doses, and then were calling the hospital and you could hear the baby SHRIEKING in pain in the background--so all stay in now until weaned.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/nov/01/where-withdrawal-starts-early-drug-addicted-to/

http://www.volunteertv.com/news/headlines/Tiniest_patients_face_huge_battle_drug_addiction_127554808.html

Pregnancy can be quite an ordeal for the mother, her baby --and the social workers, nurses and doctors involved---drug abuse is extremely difficult to overcome.   Just this week I had to transfer 3 moms out with preterm labor----2 of 3 were drug addicts and the third--a heavy smoker.  We keep NICU going!!!  Would be so nice to not need to do this. 

#24 of 31 Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM

What if you stopped just doing whatever the women wanted.  When I had my first VBAC, I was never told I had the option to have a repeat c-section.  The practice I went to only did VBACs (unless medically indicated of course). All women had TOLs.  that's just the way it was.

Could you work your practice like that?

#25 of 31 Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

What if you stopped just doing whatever the women wanted.  When I had my first VBAC, I was never told I had the option to have a repeat c-section.  The practice I went to only did VBACs (unless medically indicated of course). All women had TOLs.  that's just the way it was.

Could you work your practice like that?

Not in today's medical climate--I can't force someone to VBAC.   On the other hand I have not had a request here to do a primary C.Section ---but if I did I would have to tell them to find another doctor----bit of a difference/

#26 of 31 Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM

I'm not suggesting you force anyone to do anything but not offer to do repeat elective c-sections. If that's what they want, they are referred to another OB.

Do you work alone or in a multi-OB practice?

#27 of 31 Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 PM

OBDoc - You do seem to be very frustrated in your situation.  Being in the South I think maybe I can understand why some of your patients are reluctant to VBAC.  First I would I think you are probably correct about some of the women just wanting the pain meds.  It's sad, but I can totally see that.  I worked with at risk kids and from a psych point of view it make perfect sense.  The second thing you are facing is women not wanting to VBAC because their families.  In the south family is key to everything.  If you are facing negative reactions from your family it is very difficult to break away.  Plus, if anything should be wrong with baby whether it's related to VBAC or not then these women will hear for the rest of their lives how they didn't listen to their families.  The thought of future guilt is enough to motive women to just have a RCS.

As for education...As an educator I can you that trying to educate women and families who have no interest in learning is going to frustrate you even further.  It's like you said when people are struggling daily putting something extra on their plate is just a no go.  You also have to consider that some of these women consider themselves uneducated and don't even believe they are capable of learning or smart enough to make their own choices.

I'm currently in the position of having to decide on VBAC or RCS.  I had c-section for a surprise breech and up until I was 10 weeks all I wanted was a VBAC.  I drove to different doctors trying to find the most VBAC friendly one around.  I rejected one doctor because he just wanted to schedule a C-section at 39 weeks because well my chances were 50/50.   The doctor I have now says I'm one those rare candidates that's perfect for VBAC.  She encouraged me to study up on it and said the hospital where I'll be delivering is able to handle it.  The problem is that the more I think about it the less sure I am.  I labored with my breech baby and it wasn't bad.  My LD nurse said I had a high pain tolerance and ob thought I'd had and epi when I hadn't.  So, I'm not afraid of labor pain.  However, I have suffered from infertility.  It's taken me two and half years to get this baby.  I always wanted 3 kids, but I'm older than I wanted to be having kids.  Who knows how long it would take me to get pregnant again.  I know the risk of rupture is low  However,if I'm that 1% and something happens to this baby it's not like I can just get pregnant and try again.  (And no I don't think babies are replaceable).   I know there are risks with both VBAC and RCS...yet sometimes I am way more comfortable with thought of just getting another CS.  A CS my be more Risk to me, but I know the risk to the baby is way less with it.

I've spent countless hours working around special needs kids.  I know what going without oxygen can do.  That's what scares me about any vaginal birth.

So there are my thoughts.    Maybe it will give you some insight into how different women think about VBAC.

Me & DH, DS 12/07superhero.gif, DD 10/12 luxlove.gif  and puppy love dog2.gif.
#28 of 31 Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM

Wissa, it's funny that you mentioned that you experienced secondary infertility after your c-section, as it's one of the many untalked about complications following Cesareans. 

#29 of 31 Old 04-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Wissa, it's funny that you mentioned that you experienced secondary infertility after your c-section, as it's one of the many untalked about complications following Cesareans. 

I didn't get from Wissa's post that she's worried that her c-section caused her infertility, but that she has already suffered from it and is afraid of something happening to her baby during a VBAC. After suffering from infertility (before my first c-section due to breech), two losses, and complications during this pregnancy, that's exactly why I have chosen an RCS over VBAC. I've done the research and made an informed choice that I'm happy with. I think that can be just as empowering as VBAC.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#30 of 31 Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:

I was not inferring that my c-section had anything to do my secondary infertility.  I was always afraid that I had PCOS and was relieved to have gotten pregnant easily with my 1st child.   The secondary infertility was due to many factors, none of which can be directly traced to my c-section.  

I know many women feel they had c-section they didn't need, but in my case it was very much needed.  If they had told me going into the OR that having a c-section would have meant I wouldn't have been able to have anymore children, I still would have had the c-section.   My DS is the sweetest, funniest, smartest little fella I know.  I would make the same choice 100 times over even if it did cause my secondary infertility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesandy View Post

I didn't get from Wissa's post that she's worried that her c-section caused her infertility, but that she has already suffered from it and is afraid of something happening to her baby during a VBAC. After suffering from infertility (before my first c-section due to breech), two losses, and complications during this pregnancy, that's exactly why I have chosen an RCS over VBAC. I've done the research and made an informed choice that I'm happy with. I think that can be just as empowering as VBAC.

alittlesandy - I'm completely with you.  I think women should have the choice to VBAC or RCS and not be judged either way.  There are many reasons a woman might choose one way or the other and only she knows the choice that she can live with in the end.  

Two months ago I couldn't imagine just scheduling a c-section.   However, the more I have researched it the more I might just ask to be scheduled for the c-section.  As I mentioned, I'm most likely not going have anymore children, so complications for future pregnancies is not one of my main concerns.  I went thorough infertility treatments so I could have a baby and grow my family.  My goal is a healthy baby and I will do whatever I think will get me that.  (whether it's the most pleasant or ideal way is not really that great of a concern to me)

Me & DH, DS 12/07superhero.gif, DD 10/12 luxlove.gif  and puppy love dog2.gif.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page