Tel me why I need a doula for a home VBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a hospital birth for my first and will be at home for my second.  If I will have a midwife and two assistants at the birth already, what is the additional benefit of a doula as well? I had a doula for the first birth and found her very necessary as we were in the hospital and otherwise alone most of the time.  I am looking for a way to save on costs as I will have to pay for the birth out of pocket since it is a home VBAC (Washington MW malpractice law requires this).  

Thanks!

cross-posted in homebirth. Please forgive my typo in the title.

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM

It depends on whether you will need the extra support and one-on-one attention of a doula.

The MW probably won't be there the ENTIRE labor and delivery.  I am not sure about the assistants.  I guess I would ask your MW what she and her assistants provide during labor.  It seems that you may not need the extra support of the doula, but all depends on what the MW will/won't (can/can't) do for you. 

Personally, I had a doula for my first, but not subsequent births.  I just did not need/use her services. 

Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 PM

I agree, I had a doula for my first VBAC but not for subsequent births because I felt more comfortable with my body's abilities and understood more of my own reactions to labor. I had also done enough research on the subject to be granted an honorary degree on VBAC'ing lol, so I didn't feel I needed that extra support.

I don't want to assume that you have a husband/boyfriend/support person there with you as well, since you didn't mention it, but if you have them they can easily fill that role if you talk with them about what you need during birth. You can also look into self-relaxation methods and learn how to identify areas that may be tough for you (such as pushing, transition, etc) so you are better prepared to handle them yourself without another doula. 

Never give up your rights

chicken3.gif waterbirth.jpg vbac.gif

Mother of 4 boys, 5 if you count my husband

User Tag List