Mothering Forum banner

Are NST and ultrasounds common at 41 weeks?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mandib50 
#1 ·
I had agreed with my midwife that if I don't go into labor by 41.6 I would start natural induction methods so she doesn't have to turn my care over to the OBs. It surprised me when she said this today...

"I think we talked about your 41 week options, correct? You were going to do an ultrasound and NST and wait until 42 weeks for spontaneous labor, correct? At some point we need to get that scheduled for 41.0 weeks."

Are NST and ultrasounds common at 40.0? I can't help but think there's going to be the excuse for intervention!

#3 ·
Yes, most hospital based care providers are going to want to start monitoring at 41w0d to ensure that baby really IS safer inside than out. I personally like the reassurance that baby is getting what it needs, but I know a lot of mamas feel as though the monitoring is a way to find something to scare mama into an induction/ERCS. You have to know what issues may arise and your comfort level with them. For me: big baby? No big deal--expected, even. Excess fluid? Same. Low fluid? Recheck. NST results aren't so cut and dry, but a certain level of unresponsiveness for me (and not feeling appropriate/enough movement too) would tell me an ERCS is necessary, but other scenarios would mean requesting a retest the next day.

It's just another thing to be educated about: first, whether you want to do it and secondly what you will choose to do with the results.

#4 ·
I went past due with all of my kids, my most recent being 42+5, born this past Monday. I did the non-stress and the biophysical profile (ultrasound) for reassurance that my little one was ok, and despite getting dropped by my birthing center for being post-dates, I felt that based on the results he was absolutely healthy and just not ready to be born. As long as there is no indication of risk to your baby, such as serious heart issues or placental deterioration, there's no reason whatsoever to induce. Your baby's lungs trigger labor so unless they are in distress, they will come out on their own! Best of luck with your birth :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.