Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

Here is a brief version of my story --

C/S in 2007 for "failure to progress" & "macrosomia" DD1 was 9 lb 13 oz

natural hospital VBAC in 2010 @ 41.4 weeks DD2 was 11 lb 15 oz

currently pg with #3 due in 1/13, and want a HBAC

I strongly believe that had I gone with a HB MW for #2, I very likely would have ended up in hospital &/or w/ a C/S, due to the lateness and size of baby.  I feel that having a NB friendly OB was key. However, after that experience, which was wonderful, with no complications, I decided that I'd have a HB for any future children - I don't want to get in the car in labor again, I don't want to push on my back, I want my baby with me at all times, I don't want my asymptomatic baby's heel stuck 5 times to check for low blood sugar.

Now, I feel that I can present the HB MW with my story, and ask "how would you have handled this?" and "based on this background, how would you handle this pregnancy?"

A couple of MW's that I have spoken to express concern about the size of the baby, possibly being larger.  And one said she would want an US for lower uterine segment thickness.  Is there evidence that a larger baby causes an increased risk of UR?  And the u/s would be reassuring if it is above the threshold, but really is not helpful if it's "thin."

Also, DH -- Very soon after DD2's birth, I started talking about wanting a HB for any future babies. He's actually not 100% on board with this, but didn't feel the need to tell me that if & until there was an actual pregnancy, so here we are.  He is just generally uneasy b/c at the hospital you're "covered."  I'm an L&D nurse, so I have no illusions, and I say - bad things happen in the hospital sometimes that we can't do anything about, so it's a false sense of security that the hospital provides.  Anyway, just looking for book/video recommendations to help.  Already have hime reading Thinking Woman's Guide . . ., and will watch the Business of Being Born.  Any other recs?

Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts!!

Bonnie

#2 of 5 Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 PM

While not a "VBAC" book,  I enjoyed reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

I hope you can find a HB midwife who won't freak over big babies.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#3 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Have you tried Jessica Lawlor of In Due Season?  http://www.newjerseyhomebirth.com/index.html

Dana and I used her for HBs.  She was very calming and Dr. Garfinkel is her backup in Morristown. 

BTW congrats!  I won't tell anyone!  Just very happy for you and annoyed that mothering.com has some stalker setting I never intended to activate.  Have to find a way to stop it from alerting me to your posts because it is so invasive.  :)

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#4 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Apparently I had to "unfollow" you, which I just did.  That is so creepy that someone can follow your posts and be told when you update. 

Hiding under a pillow now.

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#5 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 PM

It was traumatic for me to even look into HBAC, so I sympathize with your DH even though I agree with your gut.

I'm enjoying the book

"Obstetrical myths versus research realities" by Henci Goer.  More academic than most, and not totally focused on VBAC, but very relevant.  Each chapter takes a different intervention, discusses common practice, and then what the research says about the results of said practice.  Its kind of a how-to-read-medical-journals thing.  I just started reading medical journals themselves and am convinced that HBAC is a perfectly safe alternative under the right circumstances.  

DH was hooked when I laid it out as having a PLAN A (everything goes okay, we stay at home) and a PLAN B (we don't like something, even if its just we don't trust what the midwife is saying for whatever reason, we can go the hospital).  At the hospital, if you get a grumpy tired nurse on call, your only plan is her plan.   You are stuck.

With HBAC, hubby's second fav thing is that you have continuity of care.  One of the two midwives you choose is gonna be there, period, so you have someone there who has seen your face before.  At the hospital, you go to one building for months and then, when it matters most, a complete stranger of a nurse is given the reigns for your care.  Most likely, the OB and even midwife on call won't know you from Eve-the-local-drug-addict.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page