No sure what to do.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
boopie2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!

 

I have not posted here in a while but I wanted to get some opinions on my situation.  I am 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant and I am having a dilema.  My mother is coming into town this Sunday to help me with my newest arrival (#3).  I just attended my latest appointment today and I am only dilated 1 cm and 40% effaced ( I've been this way for the last three weeks).  My mother is only going to be staying for 2 weeks to help and I feel pressured to have this baby soon.  I already have 5 year twins and we just moved to this area so we don't have a large support system.   We really have no one to take care of them in the immediate area. 

 

The problem is my doctor has ok'd we being induced next Thursday.  She said she can do it with a low dose of pitocin (no Cytotex, etc.).  I am really nervous about this and I am wondering if I should just go with the c-section?  I had an emergency c-section with my twins because my daughter's water broke at 34 weeks and I was induced.   I also had a spinal (to remove a cerclage) and an epidural for the labor.  I only progressed to 4 or 5 cm.   It was not a good experience. 

 

If I do go with the VBAC,  I am worried that I will end up with another c-section again.  I heard planned c-sections are easier on your body. I am also worried about vaginal tearing or other problems related to vaginal births.

 

Does anyone have an opinion or suggestion on this matter?


SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
boopie2001 is offline  
#2 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 AM
 
onlyboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 3,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a fan of not rushing it and not inducing VBACs.  Can your mom postpone her trip to you to take away some of the pressure?

onlyboys is offline  
#3 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 PM
 
LisaSedai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: De South
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm with asking Mom to postpone the visit until labor starts naturally. Do you know what your Bishop's score is? If you're less than a 5 ( believe the scale is from 0 to 13) chances are an induction is going to fail. I personally would not induce unless I was going over 42 weeks or something was wrong with me or the baby because of the risks involved with induction.

 

If I were planing or think I might ever plan for a child # 4, I would not elect for a repeat C/S.

 

For me, recovering after a C/Section was alot harder than after the vaginal delivery. Being sore and tired- not being allowed to lift anything greater than 10 lbs for 12 weeks AND running around/ taking care of little siblings wouldn't be easy.

 

Good luck.


Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

LisaSedai is offline  
#4 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 PM
 
LexiDrewMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had my VBAC in October and recovery wise I would MUCH rather deliver vaginally.  I also was in a similar situation in that my mom was here from out of town for a limited amount of time I wasn't going into labor when *I* thought I should be (dd had other ideas!).  The day before I went into labor I was only 1 cm 50% effaced but a membrane sweep (painful but MAY have done the trick) and a good cry and my dd was born the next day.  IMHO try to wait it out if you can.  Would it be possible for you to get a PP doula in case you need more help when your mom leaves?  Good luck! love.gif


Mama to my angel baby Drew (9/22/06), Alexia (10/26/11) , and hoping for a in 3/2015!!

LexiDrewMama is offline  
#5 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 PM
 
Caracol8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not able to post a long response, but please do some research on inducing and VBACs.  My understanding is that your chances of problems (like uterine rupture) increase dramatically with inductions.  It's actually a silver lining, if you will, of VBACs that we have a great argument against inducing, due to the elevated risks.  It's your call, of course, but I hope you can find the stats and arm yourself with more information.

thumbsup.gif

onyxravnos likes this.

om.gif married to my best friend guitar.gif; Proud mama of one fine boy! diaper.gif  ribboncesarean.gif;  stork-suprise.gif 4/14 Hoping for a vbac.gif

Caracol8 is offline  
#6 of 8 Old 05-26-2012, 12:37 PM
 
darkblue0729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On a cloud of dreams in the Woods
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracol8 View Post

I'm not able to post a long response, but please do some research on inducing and VBACs.  My understanding is that your chances of problems (like uterine rupture) increase dramatically with inductions.  It's actually a silver lining, if you will, of VBACs that we have a great argument against inducing, due to the elevated risks.  It's your call, of course, but I hope you can find the stats and arm yourself with more information.

thumbsup.gif

This.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider being induced. As someone who has had a natural birth, an emergency c/s, and a natural VBAC, please please please read up on how being induced not only dramatically increases the risks of rupture, but also increases the likelihood that your body will struggle and you will end up with a repeat c/s...the recovery from my c/s was long and hard both physically and emotionally, and with my VBAC, I was up and about later that morning. I hope that you are able to make the choice that is best for you and your baby/family mama...and I agree with PPs that in my opinion you should consider asking your mom to delay her trip until your body is ready, many babes are ready to be born at 38+ weeks, but some just aren't. Good luck mama!!


Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

 
darkblue0729 is offline  
#7 of 8 Old 05-27-2012, 06:22 AM
 
lisafalknerlmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Harwinton, CT
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

honestly, i can't believe there are still dr.'s out there that will induce a vbac, even with low levels of pitocin.  my suggestion is let this baby come when it's a good and ready.  recovering from a c-section with your mom's help will still be harder than recovering from a vaginal delivery without her help. 
 

lisafalknerlmt is offline  
#8 of 8 Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 AM
 
MissE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm with the pp and ask mom to postpone her trip. My MIL made two trips from TX to NC to see my first child being born. The first time she came before the due date and stayed only three days. No pressure there, huh? Well, it didn't happen.

 

Anyway. I was actually induced for my VBAC. I got low doses of pit and the OB broke my water two hours into it. The water breaking really did the trick but I was already further effaced and dilated than you.


joy.gif
MissE is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off