I want to have another baby (VBAC) but I'm unsure... any advice or just encouragement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first (only) pregnancy was pretty hard. I had morning sickness, more like sickness triggered by smells... every time I fed my dogs I'd have to go heave for a while after wards, and most artificial smells did the same thing. Then I had really bad pain in my hips and back, and ended up quiting martial arts (non-contact) much earlier in my pregnancy than I wanted. 

Then I had GD, though... barely. I failed the one hour test by 3 points and the 3 hour test by 2 points. But none the less, they put me on a (stupid) diet plan, and made me take my blood sugar 4 times a day (that was more often LOW than high) and even put me on drugs to lower my blood sugar that would drop my blood sugar down in the the 50s. My OB didn't seem concerned about that at all.... *face palm* 

They threatened me with with an induction ON my EDD. I refused (I knew that much). They striped my membranes the day before my EDD and about 30 hours later I went into labor. I didn't think it was real because I had contractions on and off so many times before. It wasn't till a few hours later that I realized how steady these ones were (that was about 11pm). At 3am the contractions were 4 mins apart and decently strong so we went to the hospital, I was only 2 cm. They monitored me for 30mins and asked me to stay. After that I got up and walked around (still having very regular contractions), sat on my ball, and just generally hung out and dealt with the contractions pretty well. 

I wasn't allowed to eat and the last time I had eaten was about 8pm Friday night (it was now sat morning) at a festival. My husband snuck me some Gatorade and eggs, but it made my blood sugar go up and they threatened me with insulin if it happened again and I didn't want the baby to get insulin and then possibly have low blood sugar when he was born. So I didn't eat any more.... Soon I was at 5... then the contractions got a lot lot harder. I don't know why but they did, and I was miserable. I wanted a tub, but there were none, I stood in the shower, I sat on the toilet, I sat on the ball, nothing gave me any relief, so I took some sort of pain meds, and attempted to rest, it didn't work... by the afternoon I was asking for an epidural. And after that my labor pretty much stopped. My contraction went from every 4-5minutes to every 10, and soon they were giving me pit to get them back to every 5 minutes. by 7 that night I was still at 5cm (I had been for 12 hours now) and soon my OB was pushing for a section, since the baby was fine I kept pushing her off, until finally I knew I was too exhausted to push a baby out anyway, so I consented and at 9:14pm my son was born via C-Section. I was in a clear enough state of mind to yell at them for not waiting till 9:18 since the date was 9-18. lol. Once he was actually born I was high as a kite and that didn't come down for weeks despite the pain.  I LOVE being a mom, its seriously the best thing in the world, but my birth experience was awful. Thinking about birth makes me panic..... Oh another big point you need to know. DS was Posterior! We suspected this, and attempted to turn him during labor, to no avail. 

Looking back I know a few things I WILL do different next time, I will have a better diet, because I already do. My diet was pretty awful during that pregnancy, lots of processed junk, I would just eat half my fries so I wouldn't go over my carb limit.....  Now I eat "clean" and very healthy. I also will eat during my labor, no matter if I labor at home or a hospital. I also didn't do anything during pregnancy to be in shape for labor (in fact the only exercise I got was walking, which was a lot less that before) or to help the baby get in a good position. Now I know there are things you can do through-out your pregnancy to help with position. Also I will make sure I have water available to labor in. 

Any other thoughts. I'm seriously terrified of having another kid, but I REALLY want another kid. If I have another section though it will probably be my last birth. I need some encouragement as my husband and I would both like another baby ASAP! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 03:49 PM

My son was born at 8:35 on 8/3/06-- why couldn't they have waited another minute!

It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row to have a healthy pregnancy/delivery. I had a c-section with my first (long story but he was almost 12 lbs, in a bad labor position, I was induced and not progressing) but went on to have DS2 in a successful and satisfying VBAC. I know what it's like to have a lot of negative thoughts about your first labor and be scared to go through that again. It was my #1 worry when I was pregnant with DS2. All you can do is prep your body and hope for the best. A few days before I went into labor with DS2 I checked the spinning babies website-- google it-- it can help you to know how your baby is positioned and offers ideas for how to change his/her position if need be. Also throughout that pregnancy I did yoga which I found be helpful with staying fit and also brought me peace of mind. I would highly recommend a prenatal yoga class if that's something that at all appeals to you/is doable. Good luck!

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Old 06-30-2012, 05:33 PM

I'm so sorry, my experience was pretty similar for my first including the posterior baby. Second baby was an attempted VBAC and unfortunately that didn't go well. I mean you just want to strangle the doctor who says you're not in labor when you feel like you're having the worst contractions ever. I think the only thing I would have done different is drink tons at home because the hospitals don't like to let you drink once you're there. I was seriously dehydrated, all I could think about was drinking and that may have helped but maybe not. I don't think I would have eaten because I didn't like having to go sit on the toilet while in labor and the nurse worry I was having the baby. So it was another C-sec and the baby was posterior again. The last child I just went with the C-section. So 3 c-section for me and all were posterior. I think their huge heads (over 100% percentile) combined with my tiny self didn't mix. I wanted the real birth experience so much but once they handed me the baby that's all I cared about. They were very good about getting the baby to me or my husband ASAP.  They even put the heat lamp over me in recovery instead of taking the baby to the nursery to be under it.

Just remember no matter what happens to your birth plan, the most important thing is when you get home with the baby and he's all yours. I love that first day home.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should also say that I'm very small.... 4'10'' and 130lbs (I was 151 at my highest at 39weeks present). 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:34 PM

I had a successful vbac & am pg for the third time. The thing is, you cannot predict how sick you will be w/ any pregnancy. I was actually MORE sick with baby #2. It was horrible. Baby number three? Barely sick at all. So, while I totally hear you on wanting to avoid sickness, cuz that is the only part of pg that I cannot STAND (well, that and exhaustion :) ), that can happen vaginal birth or not. So, decide if you can/are willing to deal with that (drugs are excellent imo), and that is a huge chunk of your decision already made.

STAY HOME DURING LABOR. Stay home for as long as you can possibly bear it. My contractions never got closer together that five minutes while I was at home, but they steadily increased in intensity. Timing is not everything, you need to pay attention to how they feel. A lot of women go in too early b/c you are told "five minutes apart." Well, as you found out, that can mean labor, but not that far progressed. My timing was great, I entered transition while in triage & was found to be at seven. Perfect b/c it was too late for them to be able to do anything to me ;)

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

User Tag List