VBAC Issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 15 Old 07-07-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
janarae18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, I am just so on the fence right now about my vbac. Yes I want a vbac don't get me wrong and I DO NOT WANT A RCS but there are so many issues going on I don't know what the right thing to do is... I was ready to go for a homebirth during my mc but now that I am pregnant again my resolve and motivation I guess isn't there like it was... (also there is the financial aspect of the homebirth that will be rough for us) BUT my issue with a hospital vbac is my not going into labor until after 42 weeks and I know the birthing center I used before will not take kindly to me refusing an induction again... I would like to go into labor naturally because I know inductions raise the risk of csection but I just don't know if I have the fight in me to refuse another induction (they do induce vbacs )  also I labored for 21 hours with my first before section and I feel like I almost don't even want to do that again and Id like to get the epidural before I am 9 centimeters (ended up transferring and getting one at that point)  not sure if that led to my csection but I was already 9 and half for seven hours before I got it in so I almost doubt it...  my son was posterior..... I' m just not sure what to do ... just venting more than anything I guess but advice or thoughts would be nice...

janarae18 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 15 Old 07-07-2012, 04:07 PM
 
womenswisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in my skin
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lots of resources of preventing/addressing posterior presentation on www.spinningbabies.com. See a chiro, a skilled massage therapist, do what you need to do. Get a doula with lots of experience at helping resolve malposition. That was the reason for my c/s as well, so I sympathize.

Regarding your due date, while I don't necessarily endorse lying to providers, they will only know what your LMP is when you tell them your LMP. If you feel comfortable going past 42 weeks but not past 43 weeks, for example, then you *could* adjust accordingly. It would be better to have a relationship with a CP where you did not have to lie in order to exercise your freedom to choose or decline medical procedures without pressure, but I know that vbac providers are in short supply in some parts of the country and I would do what I have to do.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

womenswisdom is offline  
#3 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
janarae18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't really believe in lying BUT I did think about this and the only  thing is I can't do it even if  I wanted to because I have no lmp now because I conceived after my miscarriage and so we went in for an ultrasound to see how far along I was so that option is out... Its so frustrating they put you in this position... I know the risks and I am willing to go past 42 but I know they aren't and I don't know of any other providers in the area who would be....

janarae18 is offline  
#4 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 06:00 PM
 
KoryO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lying or shading the truth is incredibly irresponsible, and I can't believe a grown woman would encourage another mother to do that.  

Find another practitioner if you must, but lying is never what an empowered, responsible mother would do.  Ever.  Her safety and possibly that of a child is too important to play games.

KoryO is offline  
#5 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 PM
 
mandib50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: my own reality
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

can you find another care provide? maybe agree to more testing in lieu of an induction. i realize it is difficult to say no, but if you show up at the hospital past 42 weeks close to pushing, there isn't much they can do.


Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

mandib50 is offline  
#6 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 AM
 
womenswisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in my skin
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryO View Post

Lying or shading the truth is incredibly irresponsible, and I can't believe a grown woman would encourage another mother to do that.  


Find another practitioner if you must, but lying is never what an empowered, responsible mother would do.  Ever.  Her safety and possibly that of a child is too important to play games.

While I agree with you that ideally telling anything but the absolute truth and then standing up for what you think is the best thing to do in your pregnancy is the best way to go, it's not always that simple in the real world. In many areas, you have very limited (many times *one* and in some areas literally *none*) available care provider for vbac mamas. If they refuse to keep you as a patient, you are out of luck. Either you go unassisted (which I know I wouldn't feel comfortable with), or you have a repeat cesarean (which is clearly not what this mama this is best for her or her baby). The best option (as I mentioned in my original reply), would be to find a care provider with whom you can be honest and refuse induction if you don't feel it's indicated yet. Having worked in the birth world for the past 6 years, however, I am fully aware that these doctors are few and far between, especially when it comes to a vbac. In my large-ish city, which has 7 hospitals locally that do deliveries, we have exactly ONE practice that fits that description and will support a vbac or vbamc mama. Showing up at the hospital near or while pushing is an option, but how safe is it to have no monitoring of the baby during labor at all and just arrive in time to push the baby out? What kind of attitude and bullying might she face if she does this? Probably quite a lot, unfortunately... She is in a difficult situation and she may have *no* good choices, just ones that are less bad than the others.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

womenswisdom is offline  
#7 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
 
janarae18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I definitely agree if I refuse and show up after 42 weeks there is nothing they can do... which is basically what I did before but it was so stressful for me it was just too hard on me during those last few weeks.... (didn't show up pushing I was 5 cm... ) I wish I would have stayed home longer but I wasn't sure if I was in labor.. anyway it stinks I think homebirth is my best option at this point we are just struggling with student loan debts etc... so that is why I wish there was a care provider who would support me oh well... I think I will probably end up doing the homebirth... I just watched the trial of labor trailor and it gave me back some hope for the vbac... 

janarae18 is offline  
#8 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 01:29 PM
 
fayebond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fringe Central, Oddballstate, USA
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

One idea would be to interveiw midwives if you can in your area.  Where I live (Fringe Central, Oddball State), all the midwvies and birth centers offer free 1 hour consults.  You could at least learn about your options that way, and maybe, like me, you'll decide that the money is worth it.  Also, there are oula training centers and student doulas don't charge more than a nominal fee if you end up needing to stick with the hospital plan.   While no midwife with a lisence will attend past 42 weeks and six days (again, that's where I live), an unlicensed midwife legally can.  Many midwives dropped thier licensing after the fees shot up to $10,000 a year over here, and they would have to raise thier prices too much.  I actually have the number of one of them in case I need her.   Just throwing some ideas out there....

fayebond is online now  
#9 of 15 Old 07-14-2012, 05:43 PM
 
wissa19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You could lie about your dues, but the doctor will be measuring and if you measure off they will have questions.  They might assume the baby is bigger than it is because you are measuring bigger.  Thus they would want you have an ultra-sound to verify dates and baby's weight.

 

You said you know the risk of going past 42 weeks.  Are you willing to go pass 42 weeks with no monitoring?  There is a reason going so far post-dates makes doctors nervous.  Find a doctor that is willing to monitor you until you go into labor.

 

Are the mid-wives that induce located in the hospital?  Induction of labor increases the risk or rupture.  A little pitocin in labor not so much, but the amount needed to start labor does.

 

Also, consider that if you end up needing to go the hospital if you Home birth you will then be paying the midwife & the hospital. 


Me & DH, DS 12/07superhero.gif, DD 10/12 luxlove.gif  and puppy love dog2.gif.
wissa19 is offline  
#10 of 15 Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
 
dogretro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's the thing: You do not know for a fact that you will not go into labor past 42 weeks. You have no idea when you will go into labor. If you are not willing to schedule an induction or rcs before 42 weeks, then don't. You don't have to schedule it right this minute, do you? If not, deal with what comes when it comes. You may give birth at 38 weeks, you never know.


jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

dogretro is offline  
#11 of 15 Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
janarae18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can only hope... trust me I do not want to go past 42 weeks lol... my mom never went to forty weeks why did this happen to me lol...but I am not in favor of being induced so oh well... we are going in to our first appointment with the cnm's and so we will be feeling them out but like I said I can see us going for the homebirth... the cnm's are so pushy with what they want like breaking your waters etc etc... vaginal checks as well... blah I wish I had more choices because I would feel great going into a homebirth with no section in my history this scar just throws a little bit of fear into the mix which is not good but I know the stress of fighting with the cnm's during labor can't be good either... ugg!!!

janarae18 is offline  
#12 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 AM
 
MamaBookworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wissa19 View Post

You could lie about your dues, but the doctor will be measuring and if you measure off they will have questions.  They might assume the baby is bigger than it is because you are measuring bigger.  Thus they would want you have an ultra-sound to verify dates and baby's weight.

 

You said you know the risk of going past 42 weeks.  Are you willing to go pass 42 weeks with no monitoring?  There is a reason going so far post-dates makes doctors nervous.  Find a doctor that is willing to monitor you until you go into labor.

 

 

Hi! I'm planning a VBAC and very worried about the 42 week thing. My daughter was born at 42 weeks via c-section after a membrane sweep/breaking waters/pitocin 3 days of fun. Luckily I had some good nurses and they brought me food and things to drink, and I had telemetric monitoring, so I could move around.  Turned out my daughter was stuck in her umbilical cord, which stalled her descent. As I'm searching for providers, I guess I don't really know what questions to ask about "going past" the due date. My daughter was 7lb 8oz, so I do not think having a big baby is a worry. (Insurance has changed, which is why I'm not going back to the same practice.) 

 

Is it better to go with an OB from the beginning? I found a midwifery practice who does VBACs in a hospital, but I feel like the risk of going past 42 weeks will land me with their consulting doctors anyway. Or am I psyching myself out by thinking that there's no way labor is going to start on it's own before 42 weeks?

MamaBookworm is offline  
#13 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM
 
fayebond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fringe Central, Oddballstate, USA
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

mamabookworm, lots of *HUGS* to you!  You might go past 42 weeks, or not.  But if you are with a midwfie practice that has OBs, you will likely have to meet one of the OBs at 6 months anyway.   That was the rule that mine old group had.  So you will probably have an "in" if it goes that far.  Also ask what they would do at that point (some will agree to just go an ultrasound every so often to check on baby fluids, but even sweeping membranes is not the most invasive thing they can do).  I went with my gut in the end, and chose the person who made me feel the most comfortable with their expertise in my particular area of concern (for you I'm guessing that would be timing) and caring attitude.

 

For what to ask, I just asked, flat out, at what point past 40 weeks would they transfer care.  For my CP it is 42 wks, 6days.  I did find a CP who would go as long as I wanted if we did ultrasounds every other day to check on fluids (I'm usually early so this wasn't the deal maker but for you it might be).  Also, even if you take long, you can educate yourself on ways to naturally encourage labor to start earlier, or at least get your body more ready for it.  Exercise, time *alone* with hubby, tea.. my theory is, if it sounds like fun try it before the due date.  And if its not so fun sounding try it afterwards until you go into labor.   And relax, that's the main thing your body needs to do anyway!  You are going to do great, whatever happens.

fayebond is online now  
#14 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 AM
 
MamaBookworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the encouragement, fayebond! I have a great new acupuncturist who I think might be able to help me this time, too.

 

I really did consider lying about my dates, but I'm definitely not going to do that. It complicates everything too much. 

MamaBookworm is offline  
#15 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 PM
 
fayebond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fringe Central, Oddballstate, USA
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm glad you decided not to lie.  I would be tempted too but lying just never helps things.  

fayebond is online now  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off