Did you consider VBAC chances when planning timing of next pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 5 month old. He was born double footling breech via emergency CS. I had planned a homebirth, labored easily until fully dilated and involuntarily pushing. Then SURPISE!, we found feet coming out. Ambluance -> general anesthesia -> C-section.

I'd like my children to be close together. We have tentatively planned to start TTC at 1 year, mostly because I don't want to lose milk before then. Part of me really wants to start TTC at 6 months. I have read mention of waiting 18 months after a cesarean to optimize the chances of a VBAC. I want a HBAC (I love and trust my midwives very, very much), but I'm not 100% sure of that yet.

Did your spacing decision take VBAC into account? Any advice or thoughts?

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#2 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

research has shown that a spacing of 18-24 months (some studies say 18m min, others say 24 month min) reduces the risk of rupture. thats from birth to birth, so that would be getting pregnant at around 9-15 months or later. So for me, I took no chances getting pregnant prior to 9 months. After that, I wasn't so careful but it didn't matter because I never ovulated pp until dd was 18 months old. Then I caught the first egg :) I now have 2 hbac babies but I'm *still* careful because I've learned from experience that pregnancy dries up my milk FAST! So if I got pregnant prior to a year, there's a good chance I would need to use formula. I'm not willing to chance that so I make an effort to not get pregnant before my baby is 18m. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

WHOA! I didn't realize that it's from birth to birth! That kind of removes the problem for me. Do you have a study link on hand? I'm off to go find one...

I am pretty sure my husband will stay strong for me and not let us try before a year. I do NOT want to lose my milk. But there's some hormonal crazy in me pushing for a baby sooner. 

Thanks for the reply

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#4 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

research has shown that a spacing of 18-24 months (some studies say 18m min, others say 24 month min) reduces the risk of rupture. thats from birth to birth, so that would be getting pregnant at around 9-15 months or later. 

My MW said the same thing, so we "planned" to space our kids at 2.5-3 years apart. I got pg when DD was 15 months old (so they'll be 2 years apart), but my midwives still think it's ok to go for a VBAC. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#5 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I don't know the specific study(s) but its just something thats been repeated ad nauseum at ICAN! But I did find this http://vbacfacts.com/2011/11/11/birth-intervals-uterine-rupture/ great site, and be sure to read the links on the top bar ("long facts" is great)  

And, I totally get the insane need to have a baby. They are freakishly addictive. After my first (c-section) I was particularly eager for my "do over". I wanted to get pregnant for a birth. I knew I wanted to have a few more babies, but it was the birth that I was in a hurry for, less so the baby. I did get excited for a baby once I was pregnant :) 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 05:49 PM

One other consideration... in Oregon, its against the law for you to give birth in a birth center if your baby's births are not at least 22 months apart for a first VBAC.  Its really 18 mo between births for factual risk-purposes but do look into the legal aspect, your MW will likely know of any rules that relate to you if you make an appt. with her.  I did consider VBAC chances between births and was told 6 mo between conceptions was a good bar to start from, so we did wait that long but its a long wait IMHO....

#7 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'll check into the law in my state. I'm guessing my MWs would have told me if there were specific restrictions, but
I'll double check.

Thanks for the replies!

#8 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 06:38 AM

After my first pregnancy (which ended up being a c-section) my midwife advised waiting until he was 1 to TTC. We were pregnant the day he turned 14 months. I had a successful VBAC when my first was almost 23 months.

Now I am pregnant with a surprise baby  - we weren't trying, but not avoiding as diligently as we should have been - that will be born 17 months after my 1st VBAC baby. My OB ( I switched to OBs after being very dissatisfied with my hospital midwife experience. HBAC is not a feasible option where we are) does not seem to be concerned at all with the spacing. Yes, my milk decreases very quickly - it was my first clue I was pregnant - but I am 12 weeks, nursling is 10 1/2 months, and we are still breastfeeding. She is eating a ton of solids and still nursing for naps and overnight, and usually one more time during the day. I am still making milk, albeit about 1/3 of what I was (at least based on what I was pumping before and after) - I am taking More Milk 2 supplement for pregnant nursing moms and that does seem to help.

Just wanted to share my experience. Talk with your midwife some more about planning the future pregnancy and get her thoughts and rationale, and also your own research.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#9 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing, Katrina. I didn't know there was much in the way of supplements for milk while pregnant. I'll look into More Milk 2 if/when the time comes. :)

#10 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 AM

I had 6 months between c/s and conception of my next baby. I was told 2 years at first by the nurse who removed my stitches, then when I questioned it at my 6 week check up the OB started with at least a year before conception and wanted to talk about birth control. When I said that we didn't use birth control for religious reasons she then said 6 months between pregnancies would be good, but as long as we had 3 months between pregnancies it wouldn't be a problem. She knew we were planning on trying to VBAC.

So I have 15 months between my boys, and my HBAC was very straight forward and nothing like my ultra long labor/hospital transfer/c-section of my firstborn.

DS2 is now almost a year old and we're ttc #3 right now.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#11 of 19 Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input and experience, Lynann. Good luck TTC!  

#12 of 19 Old 08-25-2012, 07:27 PM

lyann, you found a great OB!  I'm rooting for you guys.

#13 of 19 Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayebond View Post

lyann, you found a great OB!  I'm rooting for you guys.

Fayebond, if you meant me, the OB only got honest when I made it clear that we were leaving it up to God to decide when we have children. She tried really hard to get me to go with some kind of birth control for that first few months postpartum.

Once we were pregnant again we found a wonderful CNM who lived almost an hour north of us. It was quite a trek for appointments (at her home) but worth every single minute spent in the car. Next time we'll have to find another new CNM as we moved even further south and are no longer in her zone (she has a 1 hour limit)

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#14 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 AM

ah, sounds exactly like my OB then, oh well. Sorry for the misspelling, this phone typing stuff needs to stop (but its so much fun!)

#15 of 19 Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayebond View Post

ah, sounds exactly like my OB then, oh well. Sorry for the misspelling, this phone typing stuff needs to stop (but its so much fun!)

No worries on the name spelling. I've had lots a variations over the years.

I've only had a few experiences with OBs, and none of them have fostered any real sense of trust. While both the midwives I've used so far have been amazing. I'd love to keep the second midwife, but we live too far away now, and I can't use the first one as she is just a LM and doesn't do VBACs. It is frustrating that even though I've already had a very successful HBAC I am now always going to be a VBAC patient because of DS1's birth.

#16 of 19 Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM

I know!  When my mom went in for her third birth (one natural, then one CS), she never even heard the word VBAC.  There was no guff, no fuss, just nurses checking in every couple hours to see if she needed any more ice chips and how was the dilation coming.  Now its like the entire community of hospitals are afraid to let us give birth just because they have seen us "fail" once. Not that a CS is failure, but you'd think it was the way everyone talks about VBAC.  You clearly can give birth just fine, there isn't even the excuse that my OB could make of "trying" to see if I can "successfully labor".  Gag me.

#17 of 19 Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 AM

Don't you just hate the way some CP will talk about "letting you" or "allowing you" a trial of labor, like you're a 6 year old needing mama's permission to do something. I really don't think I could go through a hospital birth ever again. Last time even when I tried to explain that they couldn't find a vein because I have "bad" (really deep) veins they just ignored me and treated me for dehydration. I wasn't dehydrated and all that extra IV fluid caused my entire body to swell up like a balloon. My veins are so difficult to find that whenever I needed a blood draw my LM would just send me straight to the lab, as she failed to get them the first time, and my CNM for DS2 would take blood from just below my thumb as it was the only place she could successfully draw blood. Yet at the hospital I was just dismissed as not knowing what I was talking about, its only my body.

Even though I have now shown that my body can birth normally, I still get to be treated like I'm broken if I go near an OB or a hospital. And I hate to think what would happen if I ended up pregnant with twins.

#18 of 19 Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 PM

Twins are God's way of telling you that you are too busy and need to cut back, so don't over do it! :)  

Oh glory, if I had twins I would probably end up doing co-care.  Not that all that extra running around would be healthy at all. Or that I'd enjoy all the hasseling and back and forth.  If I ended up with a multiples pregnancy, I honestly would like it at the end of my reproductive life.  If I got twins at the end of the family, I would be at peace with that.  Before my CS, I always had this dream of having multiples, all vaginally and all natural, last kids in the family, end with a bang you know?  I thought it would be nice to not have an actual "baby" of the family, just a congolmerate of littles.  Then I had my CS, and cue the smashing noise.  

#19 of 19 Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. There are twins all over the place in my family, so I've always dreamed of twins. I did think starting with twins would be good, as you don't know any different then, but that was not to be. So now I dream of twins to add to my family. Finishing with twins would be good too, especially for avoiding the "baby of the family" thing. My only problem is that I really wouldn't want to birth in the hospital EVER again, and I'm sure a twin birth would be a hospital birth. We had such a difficult time getting a home birth for our VBAC baby, so I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be to get a home birth for a twin VBAC. And that is with me assuming I'd even get an opportunity to VBAC twins, which given the birth culture around here is probably a stretch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page