Herbal Birth Prep and VBAC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies,

I am planning on using Dr. Christopher's birth prep to prepare for my upcoming vbac in January. Has anyone used this herbal birth prep - or any other type of birth prep - to prepare for there vbac? If so, how do you feel it affected labor? I was in labor 56 hours last time before the c-section, and I'm hoping that using Dr. C's or something similar will help me to have a more timely labor. 

Any thoughts or experiences?

#2 of 4 Old 08-24-2012, 06:52 PM

I have never heard of Dr. C's.  I used something called Gentle Birth starting at Week 36.  My midwives swear by it.  They also have all their VBACs take a supplement called Pituitropin the whole last trimester.  My husband was very anxious about me taking these things but I trusted them.  I had a successful VBAC after about 12 or so hours of labor, 30 minutes of pushing.  I also had been going to the chiropractor 3x a week and had acupuncture the day before I had baby at 41w1d.

I have no idea how the supplements impacted my labor but I would definitely take them again - I don't feel they had any ill effects and I really couldn't have asked for things to go any better than they did.  Good luck!!

#3 of 4 Old 08-27-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for sharing your experince with gentle birth - I hadn't heard of the other supplement, but I looked it up and I'm guessing it would be good for maintaining hormonal health. Did your midwives say what other reasons they recommend Pituitropin? I'm interested to know more about it.

Hopefully I have a straighforward birth as you describe having with the Gentle Birth and Pituitropin!!! I have been going to chiro faithfully all this pregnancy, and hope it will help in my birth as well :)

#4 of 4 Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 PM

The only thing about Dr. C's is that, for some women, it can actually make them go later than usual.  My sister in law had normal birth times until she started Dr. C supplements, and the next two babies were all in the 42nd week.  She stopped taking it.  Not everyone reacts like that, but herbs work differently with different people at different doses, that's all.  If you like it, and it seems to wrok for you, awesome.

My basic theory is, if you like the food item that the herb comes from, its probably not bad for you.  I have heard that raspberry leaf tea can encourage Braxton hicks, and, theoretically, help shorten labor.  Never tried it but I LOVE RRL tea, so I will be happily indulging myself the last month or so. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page