Mothering Forum banner

Pregnancy spacing for VBAC success?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  againstme 
#1 ·
So I am thinking we will try for another baby.

My LO is only 3 1/2 months but I'm trying to plan this because I want to be done with TTC/pregnancy and etc. by the time I'm 33 or so. I will be 30 next month.

I had a rough labor, LO was in a transverse position after supposedly being head down, labor for 31 hours, infection, etc. emergency c section due to my high fever and her distress on monitor.

We also had a rough time with colic, CMPI and MSPI. It has not been easy needless to say. WE had to stop nursing at 6 weeks and I'm still feeling immense guilt and also guilt over the c-section and what I felt was a delayed bond, although now we are so tight, her tummy is better and she loves me to the exclusion of everyone else, it seems

My question is how long should I space the pregnancies in order to have the best chances for a VBAC? I'm petrified of having another c-section.

I know TTC does not always go to plan and I don't want to wait too long but at the same time I know my body is still not anywhere near normal. I'd also like to have breastfeeding success with my 2nd (as long as they don't have the same allergies I guess) and I'm just nervous about the whole thing

thanks ladies

See less See more
#3 ·
Most people have lately told me the 9 month mark as a minimum, some providers said 16 months was the "ideal", and that 12 months is "good." But my first OB (you know, the one from the CS), said 6 months, so that was what we used for TTC. And it worked, and so far, no worries from my CP. The OBs all gave me heck (note the variety of responses above were all post baby), but its going good so far.

#4 ·
I've heard a wide range of numbers. My second pregnancy was unplanned and was conceived 15 months after my c-section. So when he was born (VBAC) it was 23 months later. I think 3.5 months would be too soon any way you delivered, but sometimes pregnancies just happen!

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

To have an out of hospital VBAC here, the date of conception needs to be a year from the Cesarean.
I would like to clarify, in Oregon, this rule only applies to birth centers and is a fairly recent legal change by the state. Homebirth is still legal regardless of conception timing.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayebond View Post

I would like to clarify, in Oregon, this rule only applies to birth centers and is a fairly recent legal change by the state. Homebirth is still legal regardless of conception timing.
Looked it up and you're right. I apprentice at a birth center and have had moms who wanted a birth center birth and couldn't because of when they conceived.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.