Old C-Section scar in subsequent pregnancies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-24-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi - I searched archives for a while but did not see this question/topic. Sorry if redundant.

I had a c-section three years ago w/ my twins, due to HELLP syndrome (emergency section at 32.5 weeks - talk about drama!)

My scar healed up very, very poorly. Because my platelets were low, I didn't clot, it failed to close, and I had to have home health out to pack/repack it every few days ... loads of fun. Anyway, it left a thick, raised (nearly keloid) scar line (fortunately in my pubic hair, so that's a plus), but also what some people would call a "shelf" - I guess I have loose skin/fatty deposits above and below the scar, which is VERY indented (and rather unattractive ... and visible/lumpy through a bathing suit. Sigh. Sorry to be vain!)

Has anyone else had this "shelf" appearance? Did it get better/go away with a subsequent pregnancy, or stay the same, or get worse? So far, it seems WORSE this pregnancy (I am only 16 weeks along, so not a lot of stretching/growing yet), and that's pretty discouraging. I was hoping that the hormones and pressure might soften it/even it out.

I intend to VBAC (I have two prior successful vaginal deliveries of singletons), so I won't have the option to "fix it" with repeat c-section (if I have a C, it will be an emergency again, not planned; so no way to plan ahead for cosmetic results). However, the current state of affairs is sufficiently bad that, if it does not improve, I will probably consider having it revised/repaired down the line a few years...

Thanks for reading this far! Any experience/thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 AM

I have a kind of reverse shelf, I guess... though I usually call it a pouch (saggy skin hanging over the scar, but the skin underneath is pretty normal). I had a primary csection, and then a planned VBAC turned CBAC. Now I'm pregnant again (6w today). I don't think it got worse after the second time, but it certainly didn't get better. I never really thought about fixing it during another cesection (I'm going to try to VBAC again), but I have thought about getting it fixed after we're "done" having kids. Also I've never really gotten back to by pre-baby weight, I always wonder if if would look better if I lost those last 10 lbs... Mostly it doesn't affect my daily life, so I don't think about it often. 

L, happily married to E since 8/06, mommy to B 11/07 and J 2/10
#3 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 AM

Hey there, I'm a massage therapist that does scar tissue release work. My best advise to you is to find a therapist in your area that is specifically trained in that modality because the scar can be cautiously worked on during the second and third trimester. Even keloid scars can be worked on. The scar can be released from the underlying tissue and the scar tissue surrounding the uterus can be released, allowing proper blood and lymph flow to the area and releasing fascia restrictions. Anyone that has trained under Marjorie Brooks for te scar tissue work or is a certified prenatal massage therapist through Elaine Stillerman should be able to help you so do some research in your area.
#4 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much! I was starting to wonder if I had asked something inappropriate, since no one answered.

lisa1, i wish mine didn't bother me on a day-to-day basis :( i have been to below my pre-preg weight (and back to it, basically, when I conceived this time) and I guess it looked a little better, but not much. It's not so much fat as skin, I guess?? I have had a plastic surgeon friend (female ;)) tell me that she thinks it would be MAJORLY improved with a revision. Question is - how much "extra" skin to take out at the same time?! LOL (I'm not really THAT vain, but I guess I'm a little sensitive about this ... and my terrible melasma, but that's a different topic altogether! I wouldn't trade any of my children for a flat abdomen or "good" skin so I guess I'm mostly still sane.)

lisa2, I will definitely look into massage/treatment on the scar -- that seems like a fantastic idea. Do you know of anyone in the Denver metro area off hand? Otherwise I'll start searching using your suggestions.

Again - thank you!

#5 of 5 Old 09-27-2012, 04:42 PM

no, don't do a revision!!  cutting out old scar tissue just creates new scar tissue, which can spread and make the same mess.  i see this all the time.  surgeons need to start paying attention to this and the much ignorde fascia that is hugely hindered by an incision. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page