What do you think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 2 Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
 
LisamommyRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm working on finding the best provider for a VBA2C in NYC.

 

The midwife who attended my first VBAC will be on vacation over my due date, she cannot take me. I have not been able to find another midwife willing to take me.

 

I've met a couple doctors who say, "I'd be ok with it, but the others in my practice are not as open-minded, so it would come down to luck as to who's covering when you go into labor."

 

I just had a meet and greet with a two doctor practice known for "minimally invasive obstetrics." The female doctor was relatively neutral about the whole thing. She said I'd be better off at their practice than anywhere else, but even with them the actual hospital environment is so unfriendly to VBAC in general that it would be difficult to be successful. She also mentioned that since my prior Cs were for big babies, and I was likely to grow another big baby, the stress on my scar just from carrying the baby would increase the likelihood of rupture (though she acknowedged that she has no evidence for this, it would just "seem to make sense.") She mentioned the possibility of significantly restricting carbs in the third trimester in hopes of growing a smaller baby, she had two different patients who did this successfully (from 9+lbs to 7+lbs!). At this point I was about to leave, because I don't want to growth-retard my baby just to have a VBAC, but she asked me to hang around for another minute so I could meet the other (male) doctor. He was like a breath of fresh air. He said that size is rarely the issue. He agreed that the hospital environment is not supportive, but didn't feel that it doomed our chances. He felt like both my priors were likely avoidable (they were arrest of labor due to big, posterior babies- baby never in distress), he said with changing positions and waiting longer they probably could have gotten them to turn. (Is this happy news, or not?) Basically, as long as I clearly understand the risks, these doctors will attend me. ALSO, with this practice, I have until 42weeks before they will do a RCS (no induction d/t 2Cs). Others have not been so "generous" with the timing.

 

I'm almost at the end of my list of "leads." There is one more doctor to see- a solo practioner who is somewhat of a rebel (she delivers breech, twins, etc. vaginally). I couldn't get an appointmet with her until I'm 12w, however (7w3d today). I don't want to wait that long for a first appointment, really. I'd at least like a heartbeat confirmation.

 

Of course neither of these practices accept insurance. I have a FSA, though, and out of network coverage, so I'm willing to shell out what I have to.

 

I'm wondering if I should have a first appointment with someone random who is on my insurance, until I see that last rebel doctor, or see the 2 doc practice until then, or what...

 

Anyway, thanks for reading- what do you think about my options? Suggestions, thoughts, support?


L, happily married to E since 8/06, mommy to B 11/07 and J 2/10
LisamommyRN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 2 Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM
 
fayebond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fringe Central, Oddballstate, USA
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

HUGS

 

You seem to have really thought this one through.  I would totally see an insurance doc first, even a couple times, getting blood drawn, dating ultrasound, etc.  Since the other doc is going to cost you out of pocket anyway, might as well make an appointment with her for 12 weeks and see what you think then.  I hope you get the supportive environment you need this time (like you, I found out afterwards that, oh, that's totally avoidable, when it comes to CS). 

fayebond is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off