VBAC water birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had 2 Bradley natural births and then had a c-section due to baby being positioned in the wrong direction. I was told I am no longer a candidate for a water birth at our hospital due to this. Can a woman do a water birth for VBAC?

naturegal1974

naturegal.younglivingworld.com 

#2 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 PM

This is a hospital policy thing. It has nothing to do with any added danger from beeing a vbac. None of the hospitals in my area low vbac s to labor or birth in the tub, so generally your only option for water birth would be hbac.
#3 of 11 Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM

I just had my 2nd VBAC, this one a water birth, in a hospital. Where I delivered, it is up to the care provider. 

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#4 of 11 Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM

It depends on the practitioner and where you birth your baby. If you were to have a VBAC in a hospital in my area, no. Not because you physically couldn't, but b/c of hospital restrictions and protocol. There's only one hospital nearby that does waterbirths (though several others will graciously "allow" mom to labor in the tub). All VBAC candidates must be constantly electronically monitored, and the devices can't be submerged... so no waterbirth or tub time for me irked.gif

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#5 of 11 Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 AM

Like the pp said, it has nothing to do with what your body can/can't do.  It's just hospital regulations.  I had a VBAC waterbirth in May at a birthing center.  My MW did not require continuous or electronic monitoring, she manually checked the heartbeat while I was in the water.  If you are comfortable seeking care elsewhere you would be more likely to find options for waterbirth.

#6 of 11 Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieinthesky View Post

Like the pp said, it has nothing to do with what your body can/can't do.  It's just hospital regulations.  I had a VBAC waterbirth in May at a birthing center.  My MW did not require continuous or electronic monitoring, she manually checked the heartbeat while I was in the water.  If you are comfortable seeking care elsewhere you would be more likely to find options for waterbirth.

+1 

If you are comfortable with waterbirth, go for it, but expect to have to look at alternative care.  I find the whole idea of birthing (not labor, just the birth part) a little odd, but there is no logcial reason for that, just my feelings.  I suspect that the hospital rules were set up based on that, "eh" feeling, and no one wants to challenge them.  Also, in a hospital, VBAC moms have so much less options its amazing (I interveiwed 5 of them around me, and wow, the attitude!  Like, oh wait, you as a woman want to continue to allow your body to do its natural thing after we did the slice and dice thing?  Its like they're insulted a little bit, oddly).

#7 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM

I'm having a VBAC water birth. I'm delivering at a teach in hospital I'm seeing a group of midwives and a OB that specialize in VBAC birth.
#8 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM

I'm having a VBAC water birth. I'm delivering at a teach in hospital I'm seeing a group of midwives and a OB that specialize in VBAC birth.
#9 of 11 Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I apprentice at a birth center where we are able to offer waterbirth to VBAC moms. Have you looked into out of hospital birth?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 11 Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivineMrsM View Post

It depends on the practitioner and where you birth your baby. If you were to have a VBAC in a hospital in my area, no. Not because you physically couldn't, but b/c of hospital restrictions and protocol. There's only one hospital nearby that does waterbirths (though several others will graciously "allow" mom to labor in the tub). All VBAC candidates must be constantly electronically monitored, and the devices can't be submerged... so no waterbirth or tub time for me irked.gif

I was fortunate that while my OB prefers CEFM for VBACs (others that practice at the hospital where I delivered do not), submersible monitors are available. The only "interventions" I had for my most recent birth were CEFM and a saline lock, neither of which was at all a hindrance to me personally. 

VBAC waterbirths DO happen in hospitals. You just have to do some legwork to find the hospital/practitioner combination that will give you the best options. If an in-hospital birth is what you want.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#11 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM

I have had 2 VBAC water births, and am pregnant now and planning on having a at home water VBAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I apprentice at a birth center where we are able to offer waterbirth to VBAC moms. Have you looked into out of hospital birth?

I see you are in Oregon. Are you by chance apprenticeing at Andaluz?  That is where my 2 water VBACs were.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page