When to start...I need your fail-proof induction plans! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 38 weeks and doing fine. First child was c-section at about 42 weeks after 40+hour labor that didn't progress past 6cm. The practice I'm seeing is not rushing me into scheduling a c-section and are ok with using a little bit of pitocin to augment labor if I end up going past 42 weeks (as opposed to automatically scheduling a c-section without a trial of labor). The only condition is that my cervix has to be favorable, ripe or whatever for us to try that route. 

Today at my appointment we talked about some of the natural induction methods to start trying and they were encouraging me to get going with some acupuncture maybe in the next week or so. 

I'm having pretty frequent braxton hicks contractions (2-3 per hour), but they are painless, irregular and go away when I lay down for the most part. No other signs that labor is coming imminently. DD1 was only 7 1/2 pounds and didn't really look overbaked or anything, so I'm thinking I might just have a longer gestational period. I'm certain of my dates and measure right on every time. 

I'd like to hear what other people have done. I don't want to rush this babe out if he's not done. If I start acupuncture now will it rush him out, or could it just prepare me to go when I'm going to go? 

Anybody have some ideas of acupressure or massage I could try myself at home?

Is 38 weeks to early to fiddle and maybe given the laid back nature of my practitioners, I should just chill out until 41 or so?

Thanks for your help!

#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I started acupuncture at about week 37 or 38 and my DD2 did not come out until week 41 despite my docs preaching that she might be a preemie as she was sitting very low for quite a long time.

You should be fine on starting that now. Also I took a homeopathic remedy containing blue cohosh. Did you talk to your mid-wife? What does she recommend?

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#3 of 5 Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Sex...not always fun towards the end when you just want to sleep and feel like a water buffalo, but hubby appreciated it and looking back it was quite nice for me too. 

Evening primrose oil capsules - I would insert 2 capsules right before bed every night after 39 weeks

Chiropractic adjustment - just to make sure baby was in a good position to put pressure on the cervix

Walking/hiking - gravity is always good.  Just remember sunscreen.  Both post labor pictures of me, I had horrible burn lines. :)

Acupuncture - I did this with my 2nd baby, right at 40 weeks when I was DONE being pregnant.  The acupuncturist said she would do a session for 3 days and very rarely ever saw the mom after day 2.  I was in labor by the 3rd day and baby was born 6 short hours later. 

Meditation - Every night I was tell myself and the baby I was ready if he/she was.  I don't know if it helps, but it calmed my nerves ever so slightly.  :)

Good luck and congrats!

#4 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Never tried any of the suggestions, except yours trimommy - I meditated on being ready if he was. I was about to call the acupuncture place, but...

Next morning my water broke! Nothing for 5 hours and then fast and furious contractions for 2. The baby did not tolerate labor well, and since I was on continuous monitoring, everyone was very freaked out. Luckily I had the support of a pro-vbac OB who stopped them from rushing me to the OR and delivered the baby quickly with the help of forceps. Not the most comfortable thing in the world and I'm really sore now, but I think it will be better than a c-section recovery.

#5 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM

yay for you bookwormmama!  And props to the OB for not rushing the CS.

I'm recovering from my own VBAC and nothing about the "v" part is comfortable, but, the difference in overall health and energy has been AMAZING.  Night and day.  There's still a recovery, but every stage so far has come faster, been easier, and gone much better.  And BF took the same amount of time to get going but is so much easier now that I'm pst the weight regain.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page