Short & Sweet:
My 1st pregnancy was a scheduled c-section. Only reason being at the time, a year before my 1st bby, I had a surgery where a cyst on my ovary, and a piece of 1 of my fallopian tubes were removed. Therefore after the surgery, and becoming pregnant with my 1st child, the same doctor recommended to do a c-section. Thinking the only reason for the c-section was due to my previous surgery. Yet c-section recovery was way better for me than the actual surgery prior.
Now that I am 30wks pregnant, and with a new healthcare provider. My doctor has reviewed charts from the 1st c-section and says that a VBAC is possible.
Being that I never actually went thru the "labor" with my 1st prenancy I've told myself since my 1st born that I wanted to try it naturally, and actually go thru the experience. Yet as the doctor was stating that VBAC is a "go", she did inform me of the complications, and stated that if im not in labor by my due date (april 30) that they would schedule a c-section. as well as advising me of uterin rupture and losing the baby. After being told that, it kind of made me go back to thinking about having the scheduled c-section.
On top of that Im a heavyset female, and feel that in the end, most likely, for some reason, it'll end up being a c-section whether after the due date (scheduled) or while in labor and baby just not wanting to come out for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong I really want to actually go thru the contractions and what not, yet I'm lost and pretty much in the air with the whole thing at this point.
I know every pregnancy is different, and at this point just want to make sure the bby is healthy.
Just want to see if anyone has any experience or advise, stories etc to kind of help me get on a path/decision of my own.
Also is VBAC more on a "waiting game" where you can try for a natural birth, yet things "may" change come time for delivery/labor
Hi! Welcome to Mothering!
I have had one VBAC, and am planning for my next one due pretty close to you, April 27th.
With my VBAC, the recovery was 1000 times better than the recovery from my c-section. With my c-section, I was in so much pain, I could hardly get out of bed for the first couple of weeks, and was miserable. With my second, first VBAC, I got discharged, and we went to Sam's Club. (Not something I would recommend, in hindsight, but just for comparison, WRT recovery.)
What my OB told me, is there is more risk of having a repeat c-section than a VBAC, and that he wouldn't recommend repeat c-section without there being a medical necessity (vs. elective repeat). So, while different providers' advice/suggestions differ, there's that.
Also, I'm heavyset (Obese, I guess, according to the charts...), and was when my son was born (my VBAC). I didn't experience any negative outcomes with regards to my weight and the VBAC.
The decision, ultimately, is obviously up to you, but I would always recommend going naturally (VBAC, w or w/out epidural) versus c-section, unless it was medically indicated. But that's just my .
Hope that helps! (If you have any questions, feel free to ask. )
Mama to DD (12.2005), DS1 (01.2009), DS2 (04.28.2013) with DH 04.10.13!!