I was wondering if my c-section was necessary. I had a c-section with DD 17 months ago, and was going to have a VBAC with DS this time around, didn't quite work out that way.
I was on my way to my 38 week check-up when I got into a minor car accident. No real damage. Doc said go to the hospital to get checked out. Ultrasound shows nothing abnormal but my belly feels tender where my seat belt would have tightened, fetal monitoring shows nothing abnormal, but blood tests show that there are fetal blood cells mixing with my blood. This raises the suspicion of placental abruption. My doc consults with a high-risk doc who says that it can be normal for some women for various reasons, and they decide to redo the blood test the next day to see if the amount of fetal blood cells mixing with my blood is increasing, steady, or decreasing. If it increases, we all agree that a c-section would be best because that means that there is an active bleed somewhere, probably from the placenta. I am admitted and put on constant monitoring all night. Still no sign of fetal distress. Blood gets drawn again next morning and it shows that there is twice the amount of fetal blood cells mixing with my blood. I'm hooked up to an IV, 30 minutes later my son is born via c-section. Doc sees no sign of placental abruption, and sends the placenta off to pathology. Got the results today... everything looked normal.
So, do you think my 2nd c-section was medically necessary? Since pathology showed everything was normal, doesn't that mean that I could have gone for my VBAC and everything would be okay? Would you have made the same decision to opt for a repeat c-section at that point instead of waiting it out for a VBAC?