VBAC after more then one C-Section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 30 weeks pregnant. I have had 2 c-sections in the past but would really like to avoid that if it is at all possible. I want to bad to have a vbac but everybody keeps telling me how bad of an idea it is to do it. I would just like to hear from people who have tried it or have done it and see what everybody else thinks about it. Thanks for reading. 

#2 of 7 Old 08-11-2013, 04:00 PM

I clicked on this post because I'm in the same situation!  I guess we'll both have to keep checking back for replies.

I am in two minds about it.  I know that both of my prior c-secs (2) were unnecessary, but now I'm 43 with an unexpected (but much wanted!) pregnancy and I don't want to just submit to that again.  My doctor wants to see the records for my previous surgeries, but my babies were born in 1990 and 1996  - I don't think I could even get hold of the medical records for #1 at all, maybe #2.

The risk of uterine rupture is so low, but the consequences so scary, that I don't want to try it at home - but home is the only place where I think I might have a chance of pulling it off.

What are you thinking?

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#3 of 7 Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 AM

I had a vba2c at home with midwives!!  

http://vbacfacts.com/quick-facts/

http://vbacfacts.com/about/hbacbirth/

The key is finding a supportive care-provider (and beware of the bait & switch) & trusting your body & following your instincts.  I spent a lot of time reading success stories & watching birth videos during my pregnancy to build my confidence.  Vaginal birth is such a natural process - you don't really need to do anything except for avoid unnecessary interventions! :)

#4 of 7 Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 AM

I was just told that the midwives in my province are not allowed to do VBA2C and my family physician would never agree. So I guess I am out of luck. I'm sad and I'm having terrible dreams about c-sections. I keep wondering what happens if I am in full on labour before the scheduled c-section can I refuse to go in for the emergency one. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#5 of 7 Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM

I had a successful VBAC after 2 c-sections 18 months ago. I had my baby in the hospital, because I felt more comfortable with the OB I chose than any of the home birth midwives I had met.
I'm of the mind to pick my birth attendant, not the place of birth, although I do take that into consideration. My frat two children were both attempted Home births that ended in transfer, and ultimately C sections.

My VBAC after 2 Cs was wonderful. I did have an epidural, and for me, it was a good thing.
I am now 18 weeks pregnant again, and I have my first appt with the dr that attended my VBAC. hopefully he's still on board for this one. It can be done!
I would caution though to be mentally prepared for a C section. My second was an attempted VBAC that ended in a very necessary C section. He got stuck. He was malpositioned, and After 77 hours of labor, I was in serious distress, and we needed the C-section. Because I wasn't prepared for the C section, it was really difficult for me emotionally. It was worse than the first unnecessary C section. Just be prepared that in any birth, there is a small chance of needing a C-section. It helps to be prepared. smile.gif

As far as safety, There is only a slightly higher chance of rupture in a VBAC after 2Cs than there is for a VBAC after just 1 C.
From what I've read, it seams that if you've never had a C section, you have about 0.2-0.5% chance of rupture. After 1 C-section you have a1-1.5% chance, and after 2 it's only 1.5-3%
Very small risk. It can be done! Good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 07:28 AM

I am hoping too as well.  I think I found a Dr., he sounds very supportive and spent the time with me like midwife, I was surprised.

kungfumoose, which part of Washington, I have been looking in Spokane?

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#7 of 7 Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Actually, I'm not in Washington anymore. We're in Kansas. I guess I should update my profile. DH is military, so we move a lot. I couldn't find ANY doctors to do a VBAC when we lived there, but that was in King County, and over five years ago.
We have to drive 3 hours to Kansas City for the doctor here. Thank goodness I have long labors!
Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page