Skip the early dating ultrasound? Not sure what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I fudged the date of my LMP to my provider by 1 week, so that I am not pressured at the end if I go 1 day late.  Otherwise, it's an automatic scheduled C.  

But, my OB manually examined my uterus, he said, "are you sure of your date; feels big to me"   He ordered an early dating ultrasound, but I'm not sure if I should do it.  It will obviously conflict with the date I gave, but also, then I lose the benefit of trying to get a few extra days.  

But, if I'm measuring big or if the measurements are big at the 20 week ultrasound, will they want to change the date, any?  

I've had 1 C-section and 2 successful VBAC's.  What would you recommend?

Thanks!  

#2 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM

Sure, they will want to move up your date based on 20 wk ultrasound measurements. However, unlike an early US, in the 2nd tri the error margin is 2 weeks so at least you could dispute it.
There is no point in fudging your date if you agree to an early dating ultrasound.
It is also completely reasonable to decline exposing baby to an additional, vaginal ultrasound if you know your dates, so it shouldn't be an issue.

As far as fundal height measuring big later on, that's somewhat subjective and not so unexpected in a 4th time mom. Might trigger other concerns for your OB like excess fluid, etc though.
Good luck!
#3 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 AM

That makes me crazy that they would want to schedule a C when you've already had 2 VBACs!  Were they with a different provider? Do you typically go "late" with your babies?

I would decline the u/s, personally and just say you are certain of your dates.  Unless it was big enough that perhaps he is thinking twins? But if you're on baby #4, isn't it normal for your uterus to grow a little faster?

#4 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

That all makes perfect sense.  Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.  Confirms what I was leaning toward.  

#5 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieinthesky View Post

That makes me crazy that they would want to schedule a C when you've already had 2 VBACs!  Were they with a different provider? Do you typically go "late" with your babies?

I would decline the u/s, personally and just say you are certain of your dates.  Unless it was big enough that perhaps he is thinking twins? But if you're on baby #4, isn't it normal for your uterus to grow a little faster?

I know, I know.  In my state, you immediately get scheduled for a C at 40 weeks 1 day if you've previously had a C.  Doesn't matter how many successful VBACs you've had.

It's maddening!  

#6 of 9 Old 01-31-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieinthesky View Post

Forgot to say that yes, my first two were born 40 weeks and 4 days.  So, by these standards, I would be under the knife by then!

#7 of 9 Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM

What state are you in?  Wow.  So what did you decide to do?

vbacing likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 02-05-2014, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am in NJ.  We have one of the higher C-section rates in the nation.  I decided to not go for the early dating ultrasound.  

I have a good relationship with the OB I will see at the next visit, so I don't think she'll hassle me about it.  

It really is a shame that after two successful VBACs that I am held to the same standard as if I didn't have a "proven pelvis".  

My last birth was even an (unintentional) unassisted homebirth.  Baby came too fast.  I know my body can do this!  I only wish my providers had the same confidence!  

#9 of 9 Old 02-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Do you know your O date? Did you give an LMP date two weeks before your O date? If so, you're just correcting for the ridiculous amounts of emphasis everyone puts on LMP. If not, you're not skipping the scan because you're sure of your dates, you're trying to mess with the system to get the results you want. What if it goes the other way though? What if baby measures small at 20 weeks and everyone starts freaking out? What if baby is early and your providers think that s/he is even earlier than s/he really is? That could lead to a whole different set of problems.

I would favor getting the scan unless you know your O date and picked your due date based on that. If you're concerned about being pressured into a C, talk to your providers and if they aren't on the same page as you, find different ones. You have time. 

My 2cents.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page