Mothering Forum banner

VBAC after 2 cesareans??

990 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  heyjo 
#1 ·
I just found out that I am pregnant!!
smile.gif
I'm very excited! However, I would really like to have a VBAC. I have had 2 prior c sections. The first was an emergency. I was scheduled to be induced the next day. They gave me something to thin my cervix the night before which caused contractions so slight that I couldn't feel them, but they were causing baby's heart rate to drop. The second was planned. My doctor didn't even give me the option of VBAC. I've never experienced labor and I feel a bit cheated. To me that's part of the process. I really want to have a normal birth experience this time around. Has anyone had a successful VBAC after 2 c sections? Any advice??

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on your pregnancy! I haven't personally had a VBA2C (but have read tons of VBAMC success stories) but I had a VBAC and it was an awesome experience. Unless you become high risk or have a "special scar" you should be able to VBAC. The biggest challenge will be finding a supportive provider and hospital. Where in Texas are you? If you are in a bigger city there are a lot more options available to you. My best advice as you start this journey is to prepare for your VBAC like you are preparing for a marathon. You will need to prep yourself physically as well as mentally. This is my list I give out for what helped me achieve my VBAC:

• Choosing a care provider/birth location who was 100% supportive of VBAC, not one who said we would "try" it

• Staying active through my entire pregnancy

• Staying healthy/low-risk and avoiding getting gestational diabetes (which I had with my first baby)

• Having regular chiropractic care (baby was in optimal positioning and I think this definitely is because my pelvis was lined up properly)

• Having an experienced doula

• Attending ICAN meetings

• Being educated and aware of the benefits/risks of VBAC v. RCS - constantly reading books, articles, forums, medical publications - I truly lived/breathed learning about VBAC/birth in general

• Preparing for a completely natural birth - reading as much as I could on natural birth, practicing strategies I had learned through various natural birth techniques. I had taken Bradley classes with my first baby, and then did hypnobirthing on my own and also took a Yoga for Birthing class. So I felt like I had a lot of tools to use to help get through a natural birth.

• WAITING for baby to come out - this was the hardest part for me. At 41 + 1 I was done!
  • Preparing my body for birth - along with staying active, I took evening primrose oil, drank red raspberry tea, took Gentle Birth supplements, lots of sex, walked, did prenatal yoga, anything I could think of to prepare my body and encourage baby to come out!

For me the constant reading/researching was important - reading positive birth stories, reading medical journals/studies that confirmed the safety of VBAC, reading about the birth process in general, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.