Searching for a Midwife to attend my VBAC 30 miles out to sea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 5 Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Everyone! Not sure if I'm posting in the right place --so please direct me if not! But I'm in need of a midwife to attend my VBAC on Nantucket island. My local hospital does not support VBACs and women have to to off island to deliver their babies. I'm hoping to find someone who's willing to come to the island and help with my delivery! I had a c-section over 6 years ago and am now 2 months pregnant with my second child, I'm expecting a January birth. Any advice or tips would be great appreciated! Thank you! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
That's going to be a tough one - the midwife will have to plan to live on island for at least a month, and the transfer options if things don't go smoothly could be pretty ugly. Might it make sense for you to camp on the mainland instead? It wouldn't be easy or cheap, but getting the midwife to come out for a month would also be pretty expensive.
#3 of 5 Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Thanks for your reply and thoughts. My feelings right now are that I'd rather have a midwife come to me, than me go to her (I'd be paying for the boat tickets anyway) and also I'll have a room for her to stay in for the last few weeks of pregnancy (rather than paying for a hotel room off island) not to mention all the grief and trouble to be away from home, away from my son, and likely husband too at times, sitting around waiting for baby to come. I'm such a homebody and just want to simply have a home birth. Still keeping my fingers crossed.
#4 of 5 Old 05-30-2014, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
The problem with having a midwife come to you is that the midwife would have to give up the rest of her client load for at least a month, possibly more, in order to do it. Travel costs and room and board for the midwife aren't the issues. The issues that the midwife would be losing between 2/3 and 3/4 of her income that month, and she'd still have to pay her bills at home. She'd also be unavailable to other clients while she was on island, so they would have to agree to forgo prenatals that month, or have them with a backup midwife, who would also have to be paid by someone. And I don't know a whole lot of single midwives - they have partners and families of their own.

I totally understand being a homebody and wanting a home birth. I'm sorry it's not easier.
#5 of 5 Old 05-30-2014, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
There is such a thing as traveling midwives. Might be a good option for you to look into. A couple occasionally post on the ican yahoo list. I can look up some contact info for you if you want

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

User Tag List