Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By phathui5

#1 of 8 Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Signs of uterine rupture during labor?

Could anyone give some insight on this? I am in no way trying to be or sound insensitive to those who have suffered rupture during childbirth. I am only trying to prepare myself if something goes wrong during my vba3c. I haven't met my OB yet, my doula has suggested her and she is vbac supportive, so I am excited and terrified all at the same time. I would like to hear from others.
#2 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Pain.

Pain is definitely a sign of a uterine rupture. The UNmedicated mother will feel the pain out of the ordinary during labor and know something is wrong before the blood is seen, the blood pressure changes, or there are signs of fetal distress. You need a hospital staff that will listen to your concerns too. The problem IS that hospitals like to order epidurals and all manner of analgesics during labor, so the mother will not know if the pain is significant or even feel it.

PItocin and any drug that augments labor will increase blood pressure and any mother's chances of having a uterine rupture whether or not that mother has had surgery on her uterus.

The chances for ANY mother having a uterine rupture in labor is 1%. The chances for a VBAC mother having a uterine rupture during labor is 2%. And a woman can suffer a uterine rupture at any point during pregnancy OR labor because of some physical conditions, but that is rare.

So try to stay drug free.

Last edited by applejuice; 06-20-2014 at 09:01 AM.
#3 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Often the first sign is changes in the foetal heart rate. Other signs may include changes in pain, as Applejuice mentioned. Usually from intermittent, contraction pain to continuous severe pain.

Catastrophic rupture may cause changes in the appearance and/or feel of the abdomen. You may be able to see/feel foetal parts more distinctly.

Haemorrhage, which will manifest as increased vaginal bleeding, generally but may be hidden in the abdominal cavity to some degree.

And, obviously, signs of blood loss such as dizziness, increased heart rate, decreased BP (usually a late sign in healthy adults).
#4 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
The chances for ANY mother having a uterine rupture in labor is 1%. The chances for a VBAC mother having a uterine rupture during labor is 2%.
Have you got a source for that? I'm sure the figures I've read are 1 in 300 for VBAC and almost nonexistent for non-VBAC.
#5 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 01:09 PM

That number is given in every medical text I have read on VBACs. The bottom line is that a uterine rupture is a risk in every pregnancy and labor and this risk doubles with any surgical procedure done on the uterus.

Other increased risks of pregnancy/labor/delivery following any surgery done on the uterus are placenta accreta, percreta, increta, and previa.

http://stanmed.stanford.edu/2013fall/article4.html
http://www.ejog.org/article/S0301-21...421-1/abstract

Last edited by applejuice; 06-21-2014 at 06:54 PM.
#6 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The risk of rupture for a non-VBAC is far less than 1 in 100. Goodness.

Quote:
data about the spontaneous rupture of unscarred uteri in developed countries, the rate was 1 per 8,434 pregnancies (0.012%)
http://reference.medscape.com/article/275854-overview

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The data actually shows us that the rates of uterine rupture are much lower than previously estimated, at about 0.2%

https://www.npeu.ox.ac.uk/ukoss/news...iously-thought
applejuice likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 8 Old 06-21-2014, 06:46 PM

Thank you, Phatui5. I always knew that the actual numbers were lower, but the 1-2% is what doctors typically tell women.

Whenever a uterine rupture does happen, it is catastrophic for the mother and her family.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page