Mothering Forum banner

Pregnancy and birth after Preemie - who wants to share experiences?

4K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Pugtato-Chaihuahua 
#1 ·
My first pregnancy and "birth" wasn't so great, but one day we would like at least a second child. We would like to prepare as good as somehow possible in advance, but of course we know that nothing can ever be foreseen or prevented.

The first cesarean was under general anesthesia with a low transverse incision and a double-layer sewing closure. There were no infections or complications afterwards, the doctors still told me I should not get pregnant again and under no circumstances attempt a VBAC, apparently because the scar would be bigger than a scar from a woman who had a term-cesarean (since the uterus was just about half the size.)

I had Pre-e, placental insufficiency and my daughter was about three weeks behind in growth.

I have Polycystic ovarian syndrome with strong insulin resistance and hypothyroidism, for which I take medication. I also have a Factor-V-Mutation.

Does anybody have a similar story and better luck with the second? How about going into labor with this type of scar?

Idk if this is the right section to post this question, I'm sorry if I messed that up.

See less See more
#2 ·
How many weeks was your daughter when she was born?

The lower uterine segment only develops between 26 and 32 weeks. If your incision is not in the lower segment then that certainly increases the risk of a future VBAC despite the double closure and no post-op complications.
An upper segment incision is a contraindication because it is the upper segment which contracts during labour and is therefor under the most physical stress which in turn increases the risk of scar separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
How many weeks was your daughter when she was born?

The lower uterine segment only develops between 26 and 32 weeks. If your incision is not in the lower segment then that certainly increases the risk of a future VBAC despite the double closure and no post-op complications.
An upper segment incision is a contraindication because it is the upper segment which contracts during labour and is therefor under the most physical stress which in turn increases the risk of scar separation.

She was 34+ a few days but had only 1600g, which is approx. 3 pounds and 3oz.

I have the surgery report here - it says that the Serosa was split above the lower uterine segment, then the lower uterine segment was given a stitch-incision which was manually dilated in Mizgav-Ladach-Technique. Double-layered, overlapping and consecutive (?) closure of the uterotomy with Vicryl 0 CTX and Vicryl 2/0 CT1

It clearly says that the LOWER uterine segment was opened. I really don't understand why my doctor then said it wasn't possible to go into labor anymore.

#4 ·
No, it sounds like you need to have a follow up conversation with him and find out why he has made that recommendation. You may also want to take the operation report with you and get a second opinion.

#5 ·
No, it sounds like you need to have a follow up conversation with him and find out why he has made that recommendation. You may also want to take the operation report with you and get a second opinion.

What do you mean with the "no"? Otherwise yes, I gotta schedule an appointment and ask again.

Well, the recommendation not to have another baby at all was made because of the IUGR which he said will most likely re-occur.

#10 ·
Pretty much just that I'm not a sports person, as I'm not actually immobile.

Was probably also part of his mockery because I choose to rest a lot during my IUGR-Pre-e phase and he insisted on me using the hospital's gym "as plenty of exercise is important for obese and diabetic pregnant women."

Waiting for a midwife and my IVF doctor to call me back, probably tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.