No more VBAC??? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 08-28-2004, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
"Once a Caesarean, always a Caesarean", is a medical policy that goes back over one hundred years.

Looks like no progress has been made.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#62 of 71 Old 08-30-2004, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well due to some MAJOR family drama with my husband's sister's family I have had to postpone my appointment with the midwife... Can anything else go wrong?? LOL.. That was a joke not a challenge.. =P
#63 of 71 Old 08-30-2004, 06:00 PM

Butterfly - you don't have to have a c-section. Educate yourself on why they happen and you'll see that it's easy to avoid with the right support (MDC!) and the right medical care (understanding midwife/doula). Stear clear of routine labor interventions IF you give birth in a hospital and you lessen your chances of a repeat cesarean. Try to stay positive. I know it's difficult given that it sounds like you don't have much support at home. But it's your body and it's capable of a lot.

hang.gif  

#64 of 71 Old 09-03-2004, 07:41 PM

I wish it were easy to hold a VBAC-in (like a nurse-in or a die-in). What would the hospitals and OB's do if a whole bunch of us vbac wanting women showed up together in labor. There wouldn't be enough room to operate on all of us, we'd all labor beautifully together, and then we'd all have wonderful births!
Wouldn't it be lovely.
#65 of 71 Old 09-04-2004, 06:14 AM

too bad youre not in oklahoma.. we could have some fun with that idea...
#66 of 71 Old 09-13-2004, 05:04 PM

Well.. this is an update....

Been calling every dr in the state of oklahoma... I kid you not... A friend of mine found out she was pregnant and she went to a new one that isnt even in the phone book yet.. he just moved here... Nice young idealistic doctor who still cares about his patients and not his career... He has a different mal practice insurance cause he didnt want to put up with thier bull doo doo excuses for restricting him in how he practices... Sooooo he does VBACs!!! YAY!!! He is in another city but hey.... At this point I DONT CARE!!!! HE also seems to have the same views I have on labor and delivery and he refuses to induce with pitocin or anything else.. it must be natural induction or spontaneous labor!!! So gald to find someone who cares!!!!
#67 of 71 Old 09-13-2004, 06:50 PM

Congrats! Best wishes on your VBAC!

wave.gif
#68 of 71 Old 09-13-2004, 10:38 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated. Congratulations! I'm so glad that you found a doctor who is willing to work with you. That must be quite a relief for you. I hope all goes well.

You may want to post this doctor's information in the Healthcare board so that other mama's in Oklahoma will be able to benefit from his services as well.

hang.gif  

#69 of 71 Old 09-14-2004, 04:55 AM

Give me the link to it and I will.. This is the only thread I have posted in... LOL.. I am not a person who posts on message boards alot...

Also where would I post something about the whole issue of a lawsuit against PLICO??? I am still determined that is gonna happen.. to help other women and the doctors themselves... I actually spoke to one of the doctors on the phone today and she begged me to go through with the lawsuit.. The doctors feel helpless and dont want to be blacklisted by the insurance companies... THey feel they have absolutely no choice... She said please get the women together and start something with the jerks... LOL
#70 of 71 Old 09-14-2004, 11:22 AM

First, congrats on finding that rare species -- a VBAC friendly OB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly27
Also where would I post something about the whole issue of a lawsuit against PLICO???
Second, I've been thinking about the lawsuit issue as well. Here are my thoughts (FWIW). These thoughts in no one consitute legal advice -- its merely my brainstorming as an attorney.

(1) You could try calling the ACLU (Amer. Civil Liberties Union) and see if they might be interested in the issue.

(2) You could try contacting your state's medical board (I recommend in writing and by phone) and state that by limiting drs. ability to make medical decisions for their patients, PLICO is, in essence, practicing medicine w/o a license. That's illegal. The problem with this is that I would wager to bet that its not that PLICO is refusing to insure drs. who do VBACs; rather, they are making it so incredibly expense that no dr. can afford malpractice ins. if they choose to do VBACs. Its a matter of semantics. In the case of the later, they are not practicing med. w/o a license.

(3) The lawyer in me (who also wants to VBAC next time around) is actually considering (if VBAC isn't an option for me) having papers ready and filing an injunction when I go into labor (or when I'm about 37 weeks pg -- I haven't fully thought this through yet) prohibiting the dr./mw and/or hosp. from rejecting me as a patient and/or forbidding me from VBACing and/or performing a r/c/s w/o my express written consent (this would work better w/a supportive dr./mw). This would be far more effective if I could find a group of similarly minded women and a supportive lawyer-friend to do it. That's a tall order in my conservative area.

(4) Finally, if HBACs are illegal in OK (as they are here in NJ), and you would consider having one, you could also try the ACLU thing and/or a separate lawsuit challenging the law as unconstitutional or a civil rights violation or something. It really depends on how the various applicable laws read in OK.

HTH! And again, I have no idea if any of these ideas are even doable, so take them as just that, ideas and brainstorming.
#71 of 71 Old 12-11-2004, 11:08 AM

Another Update....

My deadline to have this baby naturally is drawing near.. LOL.. I have to have her by the 16th or else I have a C-Section, by my own choice... No way am I being induced... But I have at least given it a shot!!! Anyone in Oklahoma in the Duncan area, Dr. Mitro is great and the only one who does VBACs there... BUT.. The hospital is thinking about revising it's policy on VBACs and not allowing them.. SO looks like the only place in the state to do them is OU Med Center... And no I dont reccomend it based on personal experience with my mother giving birth to my sister 13 years ago... That and the fact they killed my blue eyes angel 6 years ago..

This pregnancy has been a nightmare even though I didn't have complications like last time... I guess I will just resign myself to the fact that I am never gonna have a nice pregnancy.. LOL... THe first one was nothing but complications and hospital stays... And this one has been nothing but MAJOR stress!!! But in conclusion.. Good luck to anyone trying to fight the medical malpractice insurance meltdown here in Oklahoma!! I'd move to another state if I were you...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page