Great VBAC books? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife just loaned me a book titled Natural Childbirth After Cesarean. I am only halfway into it, but I am very impressed so far. Lot's of research and VBAC stories. It does a really good job of revealing the myths regarding uterine rupture. Both of the authors have had a VBAC, one of them even with an inverted T incision. The authors names are Karis Crawford, PhD and Johanne C. Walters, BSN, RN.
#32 of 48 Old 07-21-2007, 09:49 PM

I think every all pregnant women, not just VBAC women, should read "Open Season." Had I read that book before I probably would not have had a cesarean! I'd have had so much more knowledge about the "complications" that often lead to c-sections in hospitals ... also I'd have had a lot more confidence in myself to deliver natually instead of believing I had to rush to the hospital and get hooked up to IVs and the almighty epidural.
I also agree anything by Ina May is worth reading.
#33 of 48 Old 08-17-2007, 10:11 PM

I am at the bookstore and just came across a book that has lots of great information and statistics. The title is PUSHED: The Painful Truth About Childbirth And Modern Maternity Care. The author is Jennifer Block. There is a chapter titled "Denied Birth" that covers the issues of vaginal breech birth and VBAC very very well. I was very impressed and validated in my decision to have a HBAC.
#34 of 48 Old 10-06-2007, 06:03 AM

I just finished Natural Childbirth after Cesearean by By Johanne C. Walters , Karis Crawford and found it to be an excellent practical guide and it includes a lot of resources at the end.
#35 of 48 Old 11-25-2007, 01:16 AM

Pushed by Jennifer Block - just published this summer

http://www.amazon.com/Pushed-Painful...5964150&sr=8-1

I am reading it now. It is definately one of those "get you fired up" books. I read the first 20 pages and then put it down because I was too "fired up." Then I picked it up again and can hardly stop reading it. I am 5 weeks pregnant, and I am determined to have my vbac or hbac after reading this.
#36 of 48 Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 AM

The best one I have read so far is:
Natural Birth After Cesarean: A Practical Guide by Johanne C. Walters , Karis Crawford

I recently got the VBAC Companion and didn't get anything out of it at all. I wouldn't recommend it.
#37 of 48 Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 AM

I know these books have already been mentioned, but I wanted to just second the recommendations for Open Season by Nancy Wainer Cohen and The VBAC Experience by Lynn Baptiste Richards. Both were incredibly informative and encouraging, especially in regards to homebirthing. It seemed like so many hospital vbac mamas had to fight tooth and nail for ANYTHING, where the homebirth mamas were able to just relax and birth. Of course, that's not 100% true in the books or in real life, but it confirmed to me that using the hospitals in my town would inevitably end up in a rcs.

Don't Cut Me Again (not sure of the author) was also a good read; just a collection of vbac birth stories without the stats/education aspect. Again, this also really 'sold' me on homebirth just in the differences of the stories.

(We had a very successful hbac, btw!)
#38 of 48 Old 03-02-2008, 05:19 PM

i loved Silent Knife, it made me feel empowered.
also enjoying Birthing From Within, the birth art and journaling are helping me...and Reclaiming the Spirituality of Birth is great too...
Thinking Woman's Guide to Pregnancy, and Ina May's Preperation for Childbirth is awesome.
#39 of 48 Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 AM

Thanks for this... I'm focussing on the same thing and praising God for the opportunity I have to HBAC this time around. :-)

Mother of 3: 1 C-section 6/06; 2 HBAC's 12/08 & 10/10 h20homebirth.gifjumpers.gifhomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gif
#40 of 48 Old 04-24-2008, 11:55 PM

subbing a great thread

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#41 of 48 Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM

It did make me cry and feel angry. And I really had to work out alot emotionally and mentally while I read it. I read it in the first trimester with baby #2, before my first successful VBAC. I could only read a few chapters at a time, but it was well worth it. Of course, I followed up with Open Season, which is full of inspirational stories! I felt like my body healed months before my heart or my head after my section.

....living, learning and loving everyday with the Sweet Pea Bridgade
#42 of 48 Old 06-10-2008, 02:56 PM

It's not exactly a VBAC book, but Ina May's Guide to Childbirth was the most helpful to me before my (successful) VBAC. It just contains so many positive examples of natural childbirth, to counteract the Medical Community's opinion that birth is a medical event that needs medical management.
#43 of 48 Old 06-12-2008, 03:23 PM

Thanks so much for the list- I just maxed out my library card's Hold List!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#44 of 48 Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 AM

What is the best book specifically for VBAmC, or VBAmC without prior VB?

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#45 of 48 Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 PM

I found a book today at a used book sale... it's older (1987) but still relevant (unfortunately).

Birth Without Surgery: A Guide to Preventing Unneccessary Cesareans
by Carl Jones

Becuase it is older some of the info is out of date (especially the resource list in the appendix), and the hair/clothing is a bit "special", but the information is still sound. And it includes information for fathers/partners who are processing the emotional impact of c/s and vbac, which is something that often gets overlooked.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#46 of 48 Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 PM

I second the recommendation to read

'Pushed: The Painful Truth about Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care' by Jennifer Block.

Soooo much info!

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#47 of 48 Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM

Ok, I wanted to add this book, has anyone read it?

Understanding the Dangers of Cesarean Birth, Making Informed Decisions by Nicette Jukelevics

I went to the MANA 09 conference and the writer presented and I was very impressed! I really am looking forward to reading it...
#48 of 48 Old 10-03-2010, 03:19 PM

I've read every book on this thread and wanted to also add
Transformation Through Birth by Claudia Panuthos
http://www.amazon.com/Transformation...6129836&sr=8-1

I think this is one of the best childbirth books ever written, especially for those dealing with past birth trauma. Every mama should read it.

I also really liked the Lynn Baptisti Richards book as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page