Great VBAC books? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 08-26-2004, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 'Silent Knife' and 'The VBAC Companion'. Any other great VBAC books????
#2 of 48 Old 08-26-2004, 10:03 AM

I am looking for the same answer! However I have a question for you: How did you like the VBAC Companion? I just ordered from amazon.

Thanks!!
#3 of 48 Old 08-26-2004, 05:36 PM

Open Season by Nancy Cohen is specific to VBAC and natural childbirth.

Birthing From Within is a great book (I think) for someone who is planning a birth after a previous traumatic one. It helped me a lot anyway...
#4 of 48 Old 08-26-2004, 05:40 PM

Oh, I wanted to add - there might be more book suggestions for you on www.ican-online.org and the VBAC/CSEC/book section of www.plus-size-pregnancy.org.
#5 of 48 Old 08-26-2004, 05:59 PM

Here's my list of just plain old good birthing books I read in prep for my hbac:
It all got started by reading A Thinking WOman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer

My plan was to understand my c/sections and then proceed to birthing.

Cesarean section: understanding and celebrating your baby's birth

Pelvic Health and Childbirth: what ever woman needs to know by Magnus Murphy and Carol L. Wasson -- pro-c/s, but has a very good reason not to have a c/s, if you desire more than 3 children by c/s

Ian May's Guide to Natural Childbirth by Ian May Gaskin

Spiritual Midwifery by Ian May Gaskin

Sit up and Take Notice by Pauline Scott (the only book I couldn't find at the library, I ordered if from ICAN)

Homebirth: the essential guide to giving birth outside of the hosptial by Sheila Kitzinger

Special Delivery: the complete guide to informed birth by Rahima Baldwin

I was warned not to read the Silent Knife during pregnancy. I have yet to read it.

The VBAC companion guide was alright. I didn't get much out of it JMHO.

Best wishes
#6 of 48 Old 08-26-2004, 07:53 PM

Electra,

Why were you warned not to read Silent Knife during pregnancy? Ive actually never read it either so this has me curious.
#7 of 48 Old 08-26-2004, 10:32 PM

My LLL leader told me not to, no specifics. She was told to read it right after her c/s and she said it wasn't appropriate for the postpardum or pregnant period of a woman's life. I didn't ask why, I took her word for it. I believe my other LLL leader friend said the same thing when I asked her about it.

So, I haven't read it. Since I get very fired up about the injustice of OB care and hospital "routine procedure and policies", I try not to read things that will enrage me. And I have a feeling this book would be one of those things right now.

I'm still basking in the pleasure of having had a homebirth after 2 c/s w/o a stitch in me and a beautiful baby who is an angelic baby.
#8 of 48 Old 08-29-2004, 06:35 PM

nak

i just wanted second ina may's books-guide to childbirth really gave me confidence in my body to birth! btw i had a great hbac 4 weeks ago!

good luck!
#9 of 48 Old 08-31-2004, 12:53 PM

I think this is a valuable thread so I am going to sticky it. Keep em coming mamas!
#10 of 48 Old 09-09-2004, 12:52 AM

All of those are great books...

I'm not sure why you were told not to read Silent Knife?? Well, except for the fact that it gets you REALLY fired up!!!

Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth is WONDERFUL...especially the first hundred pages or so. It is full of positive, natural birth stories. (such a rarity in our world!)
#11 of 48 Old 09-27-2004, 01:57 PM

My favorite VBAC book is: Very Brave and Courageous: The Vaginal Birth After Cesarean Experience by Lynn Baptisti Richards.

Lesleyn
#12 of 48 Old 10-01-2004, 10:54 AM

This is an old thread, but I wanted to jump in
I have no idea why you were told not to read Silent Knife while pregnant... I think it is incredibly reassuring... It discusses uterine scar integrity, how your body was meant to birth, how most reasons for CS (barring absolute emergencies) are bunk, etc etc. I personally think this would be an excellent book to read while preparing for a VBAC- like I said, it is incredibly reassuring. This book was writted by a midwife who is a VBAC mom herself, who coined the term "VBAC" in fact... she is a pioneer in this area.

take care
elaine
#13 of 48 Old 01-23-2005, 01:35 PM

I found The VBAC Companion totally unhelpful!! Really boring, and with no new useful information. Everything in it I got from other, better, not necessarily VBAC-specific sources: Obstetrical Myths Vs. Research Realities and Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, by Henci Goer; Ina May's Guide to Childbirth; the ICAN email list; Birthing from Within; the Midwifery Archives at www.gentlebirth.org; etc.

My personal aim was to educate myself on all the statistics (which are very reassuring in favor of VBAC!), and then focus not on having a VBAC but just on having a positive, safe, normal birth.
#14 of 48 Old 04-07-2005, 12:22 AM

I just had a successful VBAC 8 weeks ago! A 100% natural birth, YIPEEE!!!

So, I wanted to pass on the titles of the books I read and that helped me a lot.

The VBAC Companion
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Active Birth
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way
The Birth Partner

It is a lot of reading so start early, but it is well worth it.

Best Wishes,
Lori
#15 of 48 Old 06-10-2005, 01:11 PM

I was kind of "nervous" about reading Silent Knife, mainly because (and please don't hate me for this) it just seemed like it was SO extremely far over on the uber-crunchy, renegade midwives, anti-OB scale that I thought I wouldn't be able to take it seriously. Just the name seemed almost sensationalist.

But, the more research I do, the more it seems real and like perhaps it would be a truly HONEST, unbiased source...We're conditioned to see things as "uber crunchy" when really that, in most cases, just means "natural".

I've also heard WONDERFUL things about "Birthing From Within" and anything else Ina May has written.

Right now I'm reading "Birth After Cesarean", which is a little old (early 90s) and written by a male OB, but still he is very pro-VBAC, and talks a lot about the "alarming" statistics that point to c/s eventually becoming the norm for all births, and ways that would be terrible...And I also have a printed out, stapled together thing that is nevertheless long enough to be a short novel, called "What Every Pregnant Woman Should Know About Cesarean". One of the midwives at my birthing center gave me both of them.
#16 of 48 Old 06-10-2005, 01:13 PM

Lori - I'm reading the Bradley book, too, and it's great. I thought it was "vbac books only" so I didn't mention that. If we're talking books in general, though, I'm also finding "Birth Without Violence" really interesting and thought provoking. It's all about what the infant is going through, and it's written almost like poetry.
#17 of 48 Old 06-27-2005, 01:18 PM

thank you all for sharing!

I was just coming to ask for info and found this sticky!

Amy
#18 of 48 Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 PM

Birth Books I loved:
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way
Birthing from Within
Gentle Birth Choices
A Good Birth, a Safe Birth
Silent Knife (this helped me feel not insane for being upset with my c/sec, I wasn't alone, and that was very helpful)
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
Immaculate Deception II
Obsteteric Myths vs. Research Realities
Birth Reborn
Birth without Violence

I have two VBAC books, "The VBAC Companion" which several people commented here wasn't very helpful, and also "Vaginal Birth after Cesarean: The Smart Woman's Guide to VBAC." I'm scared of the latter. I find the title annoying (if you don't read it, are you stupid?); and the back cover frightening ("neither for nor against VBACs..."). Anyone read this? Any thoughts?
#19 of 48 Old 07-04-2005, 12:49 PM

I just finished "VBAC Companion" and found it really wasn't for me. It was very aimd at hospital births and didn't seem too promoting of homebirth.
"If a homebirth is not the safest prospect for you - it's not for most women..." (p50) My mouth just fell on this one. Elsewhere the book was more accepting of the idea, but this sentence really bothered me.
I also felt like most of the stories were induce/epidural stories. I know that for many that's OK; it's just not my personal goal.
I felt it lacked real information on nutrition. There was no mention of the importance of protein or salt (Bradley teachings kicking in here).
It glossed over some things to help a breech baby turn but didn't go into the fact that they can indeed be born or other methods of turning (chiropractic, moxibustion...). I didn't find it to be very in depth at all. I was disappointed because I loved "A Good Birth, A Safe Birth." But perhaps if I didn't need to crawl into the mind of an OB, I wouldn't have found that book as helpful either...
I'm reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth now and loving it (as expected!).
#20 of 48 Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 AM

What If I Have a C-Section? by Rita Rubin is a great resource for any pregnant woman, whether you've had a previous c-section or not. There's a whole chapter about VBACs, and it's pretty reassuring about how safe they are and about how most women who try to VBAC are successful. Plus, it includes a lot of real-life stories from women who had successful VBACs. You can order it through Amazon.
#21 of 48 Old 08-11-2005, 06:14 PM

Thank you so much for this thread, for this forum, and for making the thread a sticky. I can do this, go me!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#22 of 48 Old 08-14-2005, 10:56 PM

: I read 'silent knife' postpartum and it did make me cry, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think it helped me immensly deal with my c/s birth and the loss I felt. Overall after reading it I came away with the feeling that my body is healthy, strong and healed. I really like 'birthing from within' and 'immaculate deception too.
#23 of 48 Old 08-14-2005, 11:03 PM

I found a great book before I had either of my kids -"Reclaiming the Spirituality of Birth" I think it is really good for someone who had any type of traumatic birthing experience, but also would be especially helpful for someone going for a VBAC.
#24 of 48 Old 08-15-2005, 12:40 PM

I loved The VBAC Companion. It was my favorite VBAC book. I guess I found it gentle and complete (and I read it while I was pg, and I'm a hormonal gal while pg ).

Ina May Gaskin's stuff--while not VBAC specific--is very empowering, and I highly recommend it. Especially for during pg.

For *me*, Silent Knife was kind of scary. Yeah, I'd agre that it's not something for pg (particularly late pg).

I love Birth Partner, too.
#25 of 48 Old 12-14-2005, 10:59 PM

"The Caesarean" was just recommended to me by our doula. I have yet to read it, but I will be soon.
#26 of 48 Old 12-30-2005, 10:54 PM

I am just 4 days away from my due date and VBAC. My favorite resource has definitely been The Thinking Womans Guide to Giving Birth, with lots of great advice related to VBACs or at least avoiding Csections.
#27 of 48 Old 10-15-2006, 09:57 PM

I just read Hypnobirthing the Mongon Method. This is a great way to relax for the VBAC uterus!

I'm reading Spiritual Midwifery right now and it is interesting to see how these women went back to "the basics" of how women are meant to birth. The stories are great.

Next I'm reading Birthing from Within. We'll see how that is, but I've only heard great things!
#28 of 48 Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Just a quick encouragement to you all - I had my dream birth with my baby #4 VBAC!!!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#29 of 48 Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 PM

I didn't see Artemis Speaks: V.B.A.C. Stories & Natural Childbirth Information by Nan Koehler in the previous lists (apologies if I missed it!), but it's a wonderful book...it's practically required reading at my OB's office for VBAC mamas (they have a "top five" list and it's always there).

Also, I thought Silent Knife was okay, but the VBAC book that really made me cry (in a good way) was Nancy Cohen's next book, "Open Season". The chapters on emotional healing and accepting and growing beyond the c/s were/are amazing.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#30 of 48 Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I have a GREAT book that has a lot of research and is written by an 'insider' in the medical field. The author was an OB, but also worked for the WHO - he knows his stuff, and is very open about the problems he's seen as a physician and a lot of the politics within ACOG. He actually advocates for the use of midwives for all except complicated pregnancies. It is a book that can get a gal a little fired up, so if you have PIH, you might want to stay away.

Has a ton of info on VBAC!

"Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First" by Marsden Wagner

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page