Arrested Descent - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-10-2005, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the operative report from my csec the ob listed "arrested descent" as the reason that I needed the cs. His head was asynclictic (sp?) and he had a huge bruise on the top of his little head from hitting on my pelvic bone... He never descended past 0 station after 5 hours of pushing.

Does anyone know if that would keep me from having a VBAC? Would there be any reason to think that there was something else going on?

Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 04-10-2005, 01:45 PM

the arrest in decent is because he was asynclitic (head tilted), so he was malpositioned, not somthing that would necessarily happen again next time, especially if you practice optimal fetal positioning during pregnancy and labor.

Certainly no reason not to proceed with a VBAC if you want to.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#3 of 5 Old 04-11-2005, 01:08 AM

I agree with Elvispupy. My DD never made it past O station as well. She was Occiput Transverse with a big wound that scabbed on the back of her head. I pushed for 7 hours. I have every intention of a VBAC. I just suggest doing some reading on Optimal Fetal Positioning. The book, Sit Up & Take Notice is Great!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#4 of 5 Old 04-11-2005, 10:31 AM

The advice you've gotten to work on optimal fetal positioning is great. Here are 2 websites that will help you with that:

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm - Optimal Fetal Positioning

www.spinningbabies.com - Correcting your babies position

Something else that I would suggest would be to make sure that you are allowed to move around when you are in labor and not be confined to a bed. Changing positions often in between contractions can also help the baby come down and work its way into the correct position for birth.

Good luck!
#5 of 5 Old 04-17-2005, 06:49 PM

My c/s was for ftd---failure to descend, which sounds a lot like arrested descent. If anyone knows the difference, please advise.
There is no reason not to vbac. I interviewed 6 doctors and finally found one that was supportive. The others didn't like the idea that my body makes big babies so discouraged me bc of that. But only one said something about the ftd. I sent her a picture of my vbac baby coming out!!
Do all the positioning. I did all that and still ended up w/ a posterior baby. You really can do it, there's no reason not to try.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page