Being Put To Sleep DURING C-SECTION - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-11-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I Was Wandering If Anyone Had Been Put To Sleep During A C-section And What It Was Like. I Have Horible Side Effects From A C-section--i Would Do A Vbac But I Dont Think I Am Going To Find A Doctor To Do That--if You Know What It Is Like Please Let Me Know
Thanks To All Who Answer This
Tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-11-2005, 04:58 PM

I had a general during my c-section. It was an emergency situation, and my epidural anesthesia failed-- they cut and I felt pain and panicked,and they very quickly consulted with DH and injected something into my IV. I was out of it before we even left the OR-- I woke up while they were lifting me onto the gurney. I did not have any side effects from it-- I felt very clear-headed almost immediately.

On the other hand, DD was very powerfully affected by it. She was too drowsy to nurse for almost a whole day afterward, which seriously affected my early milk supply and caused us to have serious problems with breastfeeding. If I could do it again, I would NEVER EVER give birth under a general, because of how it affected my baby. Also, it caused me to be unable to see her right after she was born. It was more than a half hour before I even saw or heard her, and it really bothers me that I don't have any memory of her being born.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 8 Old 05-11-2005, 05:01 PM

If you know the original "reason" for your cesarean and speak about it with a midwife, and it was a superficial reason - ie, failure to progress, CPD, that sort of thing - you could try for a VBAC with a midwife instead of a doc. Good luck!
#4 of 8 Old 05-12-2005, 12:44 AM

As much as I disliked the epidural/spinal (not sure which I got) with dd, I'd take a dozen of them over ever having a general anesthetic again. I don't know how much it affected ds, because I didn't see him (aside from a couple of seconds on my way back from post-op) until he was over 12 hours old. I felt slightly "off" for days from the anesthetic, and it took me at least a day to start feeling even remotely human. I was tired, unable to think and vaguely nauseated until mid-day after the section - which was at 7:00 at night. I'm not sure what side effects you're referring to, but I don't think a general anesthetic is the answer.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 8 Old 05-12-2005, 05:00 AM

I'm glad you asked b/c I totally worry about this. I would like to use a birthing center instead of a hospital, but I worry that in case of rupture and transfer, then they would only have time for general instead of an epidural. Is this correct? Does anyone know?
#6 of 8 Old 05-12-2005, 01:34 PM

I don't know for sure, but from the timelines I've seen for surgery after a rupture, I have to assume that a general would be used, even if no transfer from a homebirth was involved. I could be wrong, though. Hopefully, one of the midwives or nurses who post here - or doctorjen - will have some solid information about that.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#7 of 8 Old 05-13-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girrllie
I'm glad you asked b/c I totally worry about this. I would like to use a birthing center instead of a hospital, but I worry that in case of rupture and transfer, then they would only have time for general instead of an epidural. Is this correct? Does anyone know?
At the hospital I am planning to give birth at (attended by a CNM) I did a consult with OB to just talk about VBAC, etc. She told me that in the case of a rupture they would do a general - even if I already had an epidural for pain relief. My understanding is that the anethesia medication they use for pain relief during labor is not the same as the medication they use during a c-section (they just use the same delivery method) and that since it takes time to take effect they wouldn't risk the wait.

To the OP - its not clear what your side effects were, but if you mean you had terrible side effects to the drugs they used, you should be able to get a copy of your operative report and find out what they used, then discuss alternatives your care provider and/or an anethesiologist if you should need another c/section.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#8 of 8 Old 05-13-2005, 07:50 PM

Thank you mightymoo! That is really helpful to know. And it does make sense. I had an epidural with my DD and once they decided to do a cesarean, he had to give me a much larger does of anesthesia and, yes, wait for it to take effect - test me to see, etc. I just hadn't thought about it in terms of the chances of general whether I'm in the hospital or not.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page