42.5 weeks and still waiting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 05-21-2005, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm determined to have this VBAC and am so grateful to have found a doula and a supportive ob-gyn who will wait it out with me. I'm blessed to have a DH who supports me totally in this. I've done Hypnobirthing, lots of research and reading (in the last week about long pregnancies!) It's just that now, at 42.5 weeks, I am starting to fear it might not happen.

Silly question maybe, but do I just wait it out indefinitely provided the baby is alright and not showing any signs of distress?

I feel totally ready for this, I feel I've prepared every which way I can, I spent the last whole entire week trying to move this little babe from ROP to LOA - a week of sleeping almost exclusively on my left and doing lots of the exercises didn't help, but ONE session with my Hypobirthing therapist did it!! and, hurray, he's stayed left!

As mentioned, my ob-gyn is supportive in waiting it out provided the baby is fine (we're now having daily fetal monitoring for 20 minutes) but he has mentioned he hasn't had ANY of his VBACs (and he's done lots!) go this late.

What are the risks of continued waiting? Is there any increased risk to the baby's mental state (e.g. brain damage... I read this somewhere)? There is so much pressure around as to whether we've set a mental date beyond which we'll induce, or whatever. Is there an increased concern with waiting this long, when having a VBAC?
#2 of 26 Old 05-21-2005, 01:58 AM

Are you 100% sure about your dates?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#3 of 26 Old 05-21-2005, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yep - at least on the LMP (the first day was July 21). However, I'm wondering if the D&C I had just the month before that (blighted ovum at 5 weeks in June) might have thrown things off a bit. I was told it usually takes 3 or more months to conceive again but we were so blessed, it took only 1 month i.e. the next ovulation.
#4 of 26 Old 05-21-2005, 12:45 PM

The reason I ask is that my cycles aren't much longer than most peoples at 31 days but I don't usually ovulate till day 17 or 18.

Also here is a website that you might find helpful http://www.birthlove.com/free/ten_month_mama.html

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 26 Old 05-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Quote:
do I just wait it out indefinitely provided the baby is alright and not showing any signs of distress?
I would. And I would also refuse the daily fetal monitoring, if there are no signs of any problems. But that's just me. I know the stress of having to see the doctor (or worse, go to the hospital) every day would prevent *my* labor from starting. But I'm unusually afraid of doctors and hospitals, to the point it gives me panic attacks just thinking about it.

No, you are not endangering your child as long as the placenta is healthy. You are obviously not having any signs of fetal distress, or they would never have let you go this long. Trust your body to do what's right. You probably ovulated late, seeing as how it was immediately after a D&C that you got pregnant. Try to relax. Try to do anything that will occupy your time and your mind so you aren't constantly thinking about birth and babies and such. Do you have a hobby? Do you like to read? Get a really really good book! Do some gardening (you won't have another chance for at least a year or so) or whatever you like to do that you can zone out and forget about being pregnant.
#6 of 26 Old 05-21-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleIslandMom
a week of sleeping almost exclusively on my left and doing lots of the exercises didn't help, but ONE session with my Hypobirthing therapist did it!! and, hurray, he's stayed left!
If you feel confident this helped so much, why not try it for getting labor started? Perhaps what you need is to relax and really focus on telling your baby it is okay to come out now

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#7 of 26 Old 05-26-2005, 12:19 AM

Not sure if you have had the baby already (I hope so, for your sake!) But if not, I wanted to share with you about my friend's birth on Sunday (the 22nd) She was 2.5 weeks over due too. She had her baby at a birth center. She started trying natural incuction methods like sex, cohosh, belly binding and finally castor oil. The belly binding is what seemed to help the most. It got the baby in the position to press on the cervix. Boy did that help! She suddenly (and painlessly) went from closed to 5 cm in an hour or two! Anyway, I am all for letting it occur naturally, however, you have to weigh the risks of pressure from doctors to eventually induce with pitocin (especially since its VBAC) with the natual induction methods. This is what my friend did, and it turned out great for her! Hope this helps. If you already had your baby, congrats and maybe someone else will find this helpful.
#8 of 26 Old 05-26-2005, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmee
The belly binding is what seemed to help the most. It got the baby in the position to press on the cervix. Boy did that help! She suddenly (and painlessly) went from closed to 5 cm in an hour or two!
Would you mind sharing more info on belly binding? I've never heard of this. Thanks!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#9 of 26 Old 05-26-2005, 10:54 AM

Sure! My friend's baby was leaning his little butt out, so he wasn't putting direct pressure on the cervix. So the midwives had her bind her belly. First with a sheet tied in a certain way and then a friend who had just had a baby gave her this binding device given to her in the hospital. It was very snug, and a lot more comfortable and less bulky than the sheet (so she could go out in public with it and no one could tell) It put the baby in a more upright (but upside down, of course) position. That put direct pressure on her cervix and caused it to dilate. Like I said she was 42.5 weeks and her body was ready, so it worked very quickly and painlessly. She went for lunch and a movie and when she got back to the birth center, she was 5 cm and no contractions. The contractions started soon after. Sorry so long, but I hope that helps. Incidently, This just happened on Sunday and I was there for it. It was very cathartic for me, because of my previous section. Seeing her birth in such a gentle environment was very spiritual. I just can't stop thinking about it! It even started me considering homebirth VBAC.
#10 of 26 Old 05-30-2005, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, Zimmee! Tomorrow will be 44 weeks and still no sign of any regular contractions (although lots of big Braxton Hicks). I've tried quite a few things - and sex isn't happening, even though we tried... think we're both a bit too stressed out about it. I am soooo tired because I can't sleep at nights and am then zonked out during the day. I am really trying so hard to be calm and relaxed about it (gone through a zillion books and movies), but can't help also worrying about the well-being of the baby, even though his movements are frequent. My OB is getting concerned even though he's let me wait this long and been quite supportive about the whole thing - it's the first pregnancy he's ever allowed to go this long and I guess he's getting antsy.

I might try the belly-binding thing. Today I have a foot reflexology session and a massage session scheduled, so wish me luck. I am praying so hard, too.
#11 of 26 Old 05-30-2005, 02:36 AM

What a tropper you are

Enjoy your massage!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#12 of 26 Old 05-30-2005, 10:42 AM

LittleIslandMom,
(((HUGS))) I am thinking of you! You are such a great momma, trying to do what is best for your babe! That is a lucky baby for sure! I just wanted to share with you the other things my friend tried to get labor started. She used the breastpump, black and blue cohosh tinctures, the belly binding, sex, positioning exercises (belly dancing is great to help move the baby lower in your pelvis) and finally castor oil. Eventually, these worked, but her midwife thought the belly binding is what did the trick.
www.spinningbabies.com has stuff on positioning
http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/tool/cohosh.html has stuff about cohosh.
I hope that helps and just think, you will be holding your precious babe soon!
Best wishes,
zimmee
#13 of 26 Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 PM

I'm thinking of you! I'm sure you're uncomfortable and I'm really inspired by your ability to stick this out.

Best of luck to you!
#14 of 26 Old 06-02-2005, 11:13 PM

Oh wow! Easy, happy laboring vibes to you.

And super-duper kudos to your OB!
#15 of 26 Old 06-02-2005, 11:19 PM

Checking in to see how you are doing

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#16 of 26 Old 06-06-2005, 12:51 AM

I've been so curious...any news yet???

#17 of 26 Old 06-06-2005, 12:52 AM

I'm wondering too....

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#18 of 26 Old 06-06-2005, 09:55 PM

I'm hoping you've had a wonderful birth and that you're okay, and that's why we haven't heard from you....
#19 of 26 Old 06-07-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daekini
I'm hoping you've had a wonderful birth and that you're okay, and that's why we haven't heard from you....

#20 of 26 Old 06-08-2005, 01:00 AM

: I would love to hear how everything went!
#21 of 26 Old 06-08-2005, 01:07 AM

Hoping all is well with you and baby.
#22 of 26 Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 AM

I hope all is well with you. We all do. Whenever you get a chance let us know how you are doing.

Bleu
#23 of 26 Old 06-11-2005, 12:31 PM

I heard from Daph today, and she and baby are doing okay! I'll let her tell everyone the details for herself when she writes her birth story...

I hope she won't mind that I posted this, but I know you (and I) have all been concerned and hopeful for her.

#24 of 26 Old 06-11-2005, 06:08 PM

Congrats!!! I can't wait to read your birth story! :
#25 of 26 Old 06-11-2005, 06:11 PM

:

#26 of 26 Old 06-12-2005, 07:03 PM

Yay!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page