Britney Spears had her baby... ELECTIVE C/S - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 136 Old 09-19-2005, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveydoveydo
It wasn't low blood PRESSURE...it was low blood SUGAR.
*snort* This may be completely snarky...but..eat a sandwich

Actually, I thought she looked like she was gaining a healthy amount in the pics I saw.(In line at the grocery store, of course)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 136 Old 09-19-2005, 09:10 PM

Don't forget, Brittany Spears was raised by a mom who also thought it appropriate for her to spend her childhood going on auditions in NY, Florida, California, performing in scant outfits, etc. instead of playing with friends, family, etc. I'm sure she is as out of touch in the rest of her life as she is about birthing, vaginas, pain, motherhood, etc.... The Poor Thing!

B. S. seems to me to symbolize all that is wrong with media imagery for females these days in our country!!!!!
#63 of 136 Old 09-20-2005, 11:10 AM

I'm disappointed a woman so much in the public eye made the decision to have an elective C/S (if she indeed did ) I had a cesarean birth and hated it, but if Britney wanted a C/S she'll probably feel fine about it and start telling all how it is the way to go. Maybe she's on commission for ACOG!
Now we all know that we have to prepare ourselves for the pictures of bottle feeding, etc.
#64 of 136 Old 09-20-2005, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymomma
*snort* This may be completely snarky...but..eat a sandwich

Actually, I thought she looked like she was gaining a healthy amount in the pics I saw.(In line at the grocery store, of course)

Not to go off topic but I find this comment offensive. I struggle daily with low blood sugar. It is not a simple condition and it certainly isn't made better by eating a sandwich. I eat healthily and constantly and my blood sugar still plummets to the point that I am shaking, sweating, cold, clammy skin and passing out. It is not a fun way to live, never knowing when its going to hit. I have had this problem for years and it has made my life very difficult.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#65 of 136 Old 09-20-2005, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaco
Alright... coming back to the thread. What the heck news about VBACs could this possibly be?????
Probably the new recommendations stating that VBAC and c/s are equally risky. The old recommendation was that VBACs were generally less risky than c/s.

I have found a doc to VBAC this time with me (yeah!) after much searching. Kind of silly really. I've had 2 vag deliveries and one c/s (transverse after PROM - spine was the presenting part). Can't HBAC due to the prematurity of my kids. My last 2 I PROM'ed at 33 weeks both times.

Anyway. The ob I saw before explained that there was no way he could VBAC with me due to the limitations put on him by the hospital he delivers at.

So I'm crossing my fingers for a VBAC this time. Yes, my vag deliveries were long and hard (24 hrs, 30 hrs) and I tore and had lots of stitches. But it was nothing compared to feeling like your insides are going to fall out on the floor the first time you stand after your section. Or trying to care for 3 kids under 4 with a huge abdominal incision.

I never had any illusions about Britney being a genius, so I'm not too surprised. Hope her scar doesn't turn out like mine, all thick and ropey. Oh, and hope she doesn't have the numbness in the tummy like I do. It's been over a year and I still can't feel my skin from my navel down. The top layer feels anesthetized still.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#66 of 136 Old 09-20-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly
Not to go off topic but I find this comment offensive. I struggle daily with low blood sugar. It is not a simple condition and it certainly isn't made better by eating a sandwich. I eat healthily and constantly and my blood sugar still plummets to the point that I am shaking, sweating, cold, clammy skin and passing out. It is not a fun way to live, never knowing when its going to hit. I have had this problem for years and it has made my life very difficult.
I understand that low blood sugar can be difficult, as can high blood sugar. The snarkinest results from trying to make it sound like this is a necessary reason for a c-sec. I've never read anything about these two things being related. Sounds like an obstetric crock o' poo.

I mean give me somthing legit. A complete previa, somthing. But it doesn't matter. There will be women who want elective primary c-sec. Fine. But I can't sit back when I know these moms are making decisions without all the facts. Kind of like if someone knew about the run-flat tires on my toyota sienna, and gave me all the info, I could make an informed choice.OT? sorry...

I think that what it really comes down to, is I feel bad when any mother is cheated out of a life-altering event because of a misinformation campaign waged by acog. Having a baby is a life-changing event, but having an empowering, natural birth is even more powerful. I've been fortunate to do it both ways. It wasn't until after my c-sec, that I found out about how the various interventions can lead to a c-sec. I read everything I could and made my choices and had my vbac. Had things gone differently, and a c-sec became necessary, I could have made that decision and felt really good about it, because I would 'know' I'm doing the best thing for myself and my baby. Any woman, BS or whoever, who chooses an elective primary c-sec, either does not have all the facts, or she cares more about herself than her baby.
#67 of 136 Old 09-20-2005, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfamilygal
Probably the new recommendations stating that VBAC and c/s are equally risky. The old recommendation was that VBACs were generally less risky than c/s.
What??? When was this? This is news to me. I thought that ACOG just put something out that was even MORE in favor of VBACs. Does someone have a link or something???
#68 of 136 Old 09-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaco
What??? When was this? This is news to me. I thought that ACOG just put something out that was even MORE in favor of VBACs. Does someone have a link or something???
I think you're thinking of the AAFP recommendations, not the ACOG recs. The new AAFP recs say that VBAC should not be restricted to facilities that have 24/7 anesthesiology and OB. But from what I am able to gather this doesn't translate into FPs necessarily being more VBAC friendly, since most VBAC policies are hospital specific, not doctor specific.

If you look at the NEJM study from December 2004, it basically says (although many will argue about the validity, its all hospital births, etc.) that a repeat C-section has better outcomes (in terms of perinatal mortality) for babies but VBAC has better outcomes (in terms of maternal morbidity) for mom. Keep in mind that the risks to either mom or baby from EITHER procedure are really quite small. That is no consolation when a bad outcome happens to you or your baby, but is very important to keep in mind.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#69 of 136 Old 09-21-2005, 10:18 AM

Actually hypoglycemia can cause toxemia. Toxemia can get very dangerous. I have seen mothers give birth after having toxemia, end up on ventilators, and going into congestive heart failure..almost on their death bed. It is a sad thing and unfortunately, doctors (and patients) have to make decisions (no matter how "un-politically correct" they are). You won't understand unless you were there and experiencing what she went through.
#70 of 136 Old 09-21-2005, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually hypoglycemia can cause toxemia. Toxemia can get very dangerous. I have seen mothers give birth after having toxemia, end up on ventilators, and going into congestive heart failure..almost on their death bed. It is a sad thing and unfortunately, doctors (and patients) have to make decisions (no matter how "un-politically correct" they are). You won't understand unless you were there and experiencing what she went through.
Right... and that would be a situation where a c/s would be medically necessary. For her, perhaps in the end this was the situation. BUT, the issue that a lot of us have is that she had her c/s scheduled PRIOR to that and had been very public with the fact that it was elective b/c she didn't want to go through the pain of childbirth.
#71 of 136 Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Yes toxemia is a serious condition that can be remedied by a timely delivery of the child. I'd love to see some literature on 'hypoglycemia causing toxemia'. I've never seen the two connected in my studies. Sidenote-how many pregnant women are told to limit their salt intake if they have an elevated BP(preeclampsia/toxemia)? Most of them, which can seriously escatlate the problem. How many docs are familiar with the brewers diet? How easy is it just to say whatever they want and have every one listen and obey without question?
#72 of 136 Old 09-21-2005, 09:32 PM

:
#73 of 136 Old 09-21-2005, 11:44 PM

Here is a quote taken from this site (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...12467)...found at the very bottom. There really isn't too many findings on this but I have read this a few times in other places. And you are right. Diet should be a MAJOR factor in how doctors treat patients. Salt intake is a MAJOR factor when it comes to toxemia. I have heard of the Brewer's Diet but never really looked into it. I may have to now that I have come acrossed it once again

Quote:
THERE IS some indication that reactive hypoglycemia may lead to high blood pressure. Ten years ago several studies linked high blood pressure to low blood sugar, and Wright says his experience has borne out the connection. As a matter of course, Wright runs the Glucose-Insulin Tolerance Test on all his patients with essential hypertension, which is the term for high blood pressure with no discernable cause. Wright has found that more than half of his essential hypertension patients have high blood insulin levels. Based on his experience that high insulin levels indicate the presence of hypoglycemia, Wright has treated these patients for low blood sugar, and he's found that patients' blood pressure invariably falls.
#74 of 136 Old 09-21-2005, 11:45 PM

PS hope your popcorn was good and didn't that dry nasty salt keep your from being able to whistle ? :LOL
#75 of 136 Old 09-21-2005, 11:51 PM

Her decision is so misguided -- very sad. A C/S screws with your tummy muscles and you NEVER get them back PERIOD --- tummy tuck or not.

I just saw a photo of her at the store yesterday prego, her face looked strange. I wonder how much touch up was done to cut the baby chub off that happens to ALL of us pregnant women...

Of course, a vaginal birth messes w your other parts that are never the same... Birth is painful and changes your body forever either way you go.

Wonder if she is bfing or if that would make her boobs droop so oh no couldn't do that... Of course, research will tell you your boobs will droop regardless of whether the milk produced in them that comes out or stays in...

#76 of 136 Old 09-23-2005, 09:18 PM

Well I'll probably be charred to a crisp for expressing my opinion on this one, but, what the hey.

I'm a doula and will be a midwife and had my kids at home and breastfeed past the third birthday. I *do* wish homebirth were the norm and that women were better informed and did a better job of informing themselves, that doctors did not take such gross and negligent advantage of women, etc etc. I *do* wish that more celebrities had homebirths and breastfed because of the influence that women in such a position have in our culture.

BUT I have to say that I am a little disturbed by the virulence of some of the comments here. As a pro-choice woman I believe, I really believe, despite all my personal beliefs listed above and all the depth to them that I won't go into here because we all agree, well, I really believe that if a woman wants a cesarean birth she should have one, insurance should cover it the same as a home or hospital or vaginal or anesthetized birth. A woman shouldn't need to give a reason for her birth choices; she shouldn't need to have suffered trauma to believe whatever she believes is best. I think women should be better informed, yes, and that alone would drop the c/s rate in this country, but I feel very threatened when I see women bashing each other based on their birth choices. How is it any different from those who make horrible comments about those of us who choose homebirth? The comments about our vaginas being slack and our breasts being droopy and we're putting our babies at risk for selfish reasons or we fear hospitals or we're witches and fear doctors, etc etc etc. If I want a cesarean birth why should I have to have a reason or a "good" reason? A "good" reason according to whom? I don't think I need a "good" reason to have a homebirth. It's no one's business but my own.
#77 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
ITA. :

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#78 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymomma
Any woman, BS or whoever, who chooses an elective primary c-sec, either does not have all the facts, or she cares more about herself than her baby.
I take extreme offense to this comment. First of all, it is a sweeping generalization, and those are seldom correct. Secondly, you can have all of the facts and still make an informed decision to have a c-section. It does NOT make you self-centered or uncaring about your baby.

I personally had two vaginal births, and just recently gave birth to my son via scheduled c-section. Not sure if my *reason* would be legit enough for you, but due to insulin dependant GD my baby grew rather large and was estimated to be over the 4500 grams that is recommended by the acog for safe vaginal delivery of a diabetic. I made a decision with my OB to have the section for both my safety and my baby's. My decision was educated and I would make the same CHOICE again, even though the recovery has been horrid.

This really comes down to choice and women's rights. It amazes me that anyone here at MDC would really lobby to take birth choices from women.
#79 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 01:50 AM

I think it is sad any woman would have an elective c-section.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#80 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkOnDemand
I take extreme offense to this comment. First of all, it is a sweeping generalization, and those are seldom correct. Secondly, you can have all of the facts and still make an informed decision to have a c-section. It does NOT make you self-centered or uncaring about your baby.

I personally had two vaginal births, and just recently gave birth to my son via scheduled c-section. Not sure if my *reason* would be legit enough for you, but due to insulin dependant GD my baby grew rather large and was estimated to be over the 4500 grams that is recommended by the acog for safe vaginal delivery of a diabetic. I made a decision with my OB to have the section for both my safety and my baby's. My decision was educated and I would make the same CHOICE again, even though the recovery has been horrid.

This really comes down to choice and women's rights. It amazes me that anyone here at MDC would really lobby to take birth choices from women.
Extreme offense? Well, that's your choice, but you may want to read the rest of my posts before getting all huffy.

My 'soapbox' is not directed at the 'mother', my beef is with the medical community and how they manipulate women, and sell them a bill of goods that may not be completely in line with, uh, reality.

This falls in line with what the discussion was about - primary elective c-sec. All things being equal-a natural unmedicated delivery is the safest, most beneficial choice for mother and child. I absolutely stand by what I said-in regards to ELECTIVE PRIMARY C-SEC.

My view is not an 'attack' on c-secs. It is an attack on a society that has distorted birth to such a degree that women trust a surgeon to cut their baby out, more than they trust their ability to give birth. Have you ever watched the 'Baby story' or 'Birth Day' shows ? Every now and then they show an 'uneventful' birth (not that any birth is uneventful), but the majority are high drama, full of interventions, where the mother is stranded in the middle of monitors, and catheters and I.V.'s. in the end she is either screamed at to push her baby out of her numbed body, or she is whisked off to surgery so she can be 'saved' by the doctor.

I guess I need to include the disclaimer..'birth, like life, are unpredictable events.' Things can go wrong. C-sec is an amazing surgery that truly has saved the lives of countless women and their babies. Nobody would argue that. But it does women a great injustice to tell them that they can just schedule a c-sec for when they want to have their baby and it's just as good as laboring and birthing.

Your health issues made it necessary for you to make choices. You said your decision was educated. That is all I'd ever wish for any mother. To be educated, not to simply do what a doc says.

I had to go up against the ob's in our town when preparing for my vbac. After I educated myself on certain procedures, I decided I would not have an IV "just in case, they say", nor would I use EFM, as studies have shown that it can be misinterpreted, leading to unecessary intervention without an increase in the babies outcome (love ya, Henci Goer!).I chose to have intermittant doppler auscultation.
Anyway, I had to sign a form saying I was risking severe neurological damage and death for myself and my baby by refusing to have EFM. Sure, I signed it. But when I think about what I had to go through, and how horribly I was treated, I can see why more and more women skip the vbac and go straight for the repeat.

The only way to lower the c-sec rate, is to decrease primary c-sec, increasing vbac's won't do it. To think 'elective' primary c-sec, is just another birthing 'choice' is to take away the strength and power that women possess, the same way that formula feeding was considered 'better' than breastmilk in the 1940's and '50's.
#81 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=Luckymomma]it does women a great injustice to tell them that they can just schedule a c-sec for when they want to have their baby and it's just as good as laboring and birthing.
QUOTE]

A woman who gives birth by cesarean is still "birthing."

And if that is how she prefers to give birth, she should have all the support in the world. I would feel bitterly hurt if anyone spoke of my birth choices the way some here on mdc have spoken of women who choose cesarean birth, or epidural anesthesia for labor, or to bottlefeed.

I see this as an example of why the broader women's movement has failed to continue forward: women are divided and instead of supporting one another, growing more and more fragmented. I am not a better parent than a woman who chose cesarean birth or to bottlefeed or to sleep her baby in a crib or to go back to work. I do the best I can for myself and my family based on the information I have, and I assume others do the same.

It IS a shame when you see people making unnecessary decisions based on a lack of unbiased information. But information can be interpreted differently, and someone who chooses not to endure labor and vaginal birth is no less courageous or attached or invested in her baby. Maybe she just doesn't want to do it that way. Maybe to her the benefit does outweigh the risk. Maybe she deserves better cesarean birth practices, as described in that article, "Humanizing Cesarean Birth" that's around on the net somewhere. Maybe we all have the right to give birth where and when and how we please, with access to excellent care if and when we wish it.
#82 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 09:44 PM

Where is a mother going to hear unbiased, fact based information on birth? Certainly not from the average O.B.

Women do need to unite and share their experiences in a way that can benefit other new mothers. Real information, not horror stories.

If someone would have talked to me 6 years ago, and let me know about the average hospital birth experience.... Let me know how supposedly 'harmless' interventions like AROM could spark a domino effect...maybe I could have avoided my c-sec and the psychological effects it left. If you could share information with a mother that could be beneficial, would you?

It's no different than LLL. If a mother is having trouble, I will do everything I can to help her. Why? Because I know how wonderful the breastfeeding relationship can be, and I genuinely want to share that. Is that being unsupportive of her wanting to bottle feed at that time?

I ask again, where is unbiased information supposed to come from?

I am feeling very confused and frustrated.

If you had a friend who just had a baby and she said she wasn't going to breastfeed because her doctor said it didn't make any difference, would you just accept that and say, "well, it's her choice", or would you want to set the record straight?

Help me understand this :
#83 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I agree with you Luckymomma, but Britney obviously did not ask any one like us, so how is she supposed to know?

I can recall back in the seventies when Goldie Hawn had her first baby, Oliver Hudson, and she had coaching from Lee Grant for natural childbirth, or so the magazines claimed, and she still had a caesarean and went on to have two more with Kate and Wyatt. People do what they do for their own reasons.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#84 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice
I agree with you Luckymomma, but Britney obviously did not ask any one like us, so how is she supposed to know?

I can recall back in the seventies when Goldie Hawn had her first baby, Oliver Hudson, and she had coaching from Lee Grant for natural childbirth, or so the magazines claimed, and she still had a caesarean and went on to have two more with Kate and Wyatt. People do what they do for their own reasons.
You're right. But it still just makes me 'sad'. After my vbac, I was on an intense 'birth high' for the next 3 months. I just couldn't believe how powerful and connected to my baby I felt. Certainly I love ds#1, but it was soo different. It took almost 4 months to fully bond with him. Ds#2 was immediate. I massaged his head as I pushed, I grabbed him as he came out, and the complex, primitive hormones we all have took over. It was just so..different.

The few times I've mentioned that I really loved giving birth, I've been looked at like I had a squid coming out of my nose.

Maybe just changing the perception would be a start. Maybe if we could cut down on the horror stories. I don't know....(shuffling away...)
#85 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 10:22 PM

This makes me mad as BLANK... And I feel the following is important to state, being a mother of 2 c/s children and then a mother to 1 hba2c child -- I have some 'authority' in the matter of c/s verses vaginal birthing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
I'm a doula and will be a midwife and had my kids at home and breastfeed past the third birthday.
Quote:
BUT ... As a pro-choice woman I believe, I really believe, despite all my personal beliefs listed above
Quote:
that if a woman wants a cesarean birth she should have one.
:

: I am sorry you really need to re-evaluate your thought process IMHO. Your personal beliefs are your beliefs PERIOD. I personally would NEVER hire you as a Doula or a Midwife -- why? You say you believe in natural birth, yet believe a woman should have a choice to persue dangerous surgery as an OPTION to having a baby. I would not have wanted a MW in my corner with this view during my HBA2C. My mw believes in women and their ability to give birth, not their right to a choice in vaginal verse surgical!!!

I do not believe it is a good thing to be giving women an OPTION to have a c/s instead of a vaginal birth. OBs are not educating their patients enough in the down falls of c/s deliveries period and the rates are climbing -- high c/s rates and high mother and infant mortality rates are what's wrong in this country. A big one for me is multiple pregancies and multiple c/s deliveries are progressively more and more dangerous w/ each. The OB never even asked me how many children my dh and I were planning. If he had, he might have 'terminated' my care on the spot since he doesn't believe women should have more than 3 children . Bottom line: We, WOMEN were not designed to be delivered, we were designed to give birth (and YES there is a distinction and if you try to tell yourself there isn't -- you haven't had or haven't reflected enough on a c/s birth experience and then had a vaginal birth!!!)

There should never be an OPTION to persue a surgical delivery instead of a vaginal delivery (minus the rare times inwhich it is deemed medically necessary for the health of the mother or baby).

Women need OPTIONS in safer hospital births, safe from OBs practicing 'cover my butt' medicine instead of 'first do no harm'. Women need OPTIONS to choose Homebirths verses Hospital births -- women do not need an option for an unmedically necessary major abdominal surgery!

I'd like to make a good analogy here, but I can't think of one that is super good. But here goes my inital analogy thought: You've got a stomach ache from minor food poisoning -- you have 2 choices, let it pass naturally or have a surgeon go in an physically remove your stomach and intestinal contents...
There should not be a choice in a healthy individual -- let it pass naturally, yeah it's unpleasant, but stomach pumping and colon sweeping are even more unpleasant...
#86 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 10:24 PM

Women who call or go to LLL are seeking information on or help with breastfeeding. Someone expressing her opinion or her desire for a particular kind of birth is not necessarily asking for or receptive to my "advice;" in fact, unsolicited advice can often be received as an attack.

The "unbiased" information should be sought and obtained and sifted by the woman herself. There are plenty of books and other resources out there and we can share information, and our birth stories, good *and* bad, without making anyone feel bad or saying they did the wrong thing by doing what they wanted to do. And women might well read all the information on homebirth and the cascade of interventions and unassisted birth and all the other things, and still decide a planned cesarean is best for her. What is wrong with that? I have spoken to many clients who would prefer, in the event of "failure to progress," a cesarean to vacuum extraction or forceps, and frankly they have a good point. I might prefer a cesarean to a forceps delivery myself.

But I wasn't talking about sharing or not sharing information. The thing that I find upsetting is how freely some women judge and condemn other women based solely on the delivery of their baby. Again, no one needs a "good reason" or any reason at all to deserve respect, especially as a mother.
#87 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 10:36 PM

ELECTRA375!!!!!!
#88 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375
Bottom line: We, WOMEN were not designed to be delivered, we were designed to give birth (and YES there is a distinction and if you try to tell yourself there isn't -- you haven't had or haven't reflected enough on a c/s birth experience and then had a vaginal birth!!!)
I have to agree about this. If other women who have had c-sections feel that they've given birth, I don't want to take that away from them. But, I just feel angry when people insist that a cesarean section is giving birth.

I've had three c-sections. I'm very unlikely to ever give birth naturally at this point, as dh and I are probably not having any more children. I'm glad some women find more peace than I've found...but I don't feel that I've given birth and I'm hurt and offended when people try to tell me that I have. (I actually feel badly for dh on this front...he's so happy to see his babies and be there when they arrive. To him, it's the birth of his children, but, to me, it's just...not.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#89 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
unsolicited advice can often be received as an attack.

The "unbiased" information should be sought and obtained and sifted by the woman herself. There are plenty of books and other resources out there and we can share information, and our birth stories, good *and* bad, without making anyone feel bad or saying they did the wrong thing by doing what they wanted to do. And women might well read all the information on homebirth and the cascade of interventions and unassisted birth and all the other things, and still decide a planned cesarean is best for her. What is wrong with that?

First, I would hardly think sharing "things I wish someone had told me before I ended up with a c-sec" could be viewed as an attack. True, some people live to be offended, but then they are probably used to it.
I honestly care enough about the subject to 'put myself out there' and share some of the information I've found through my own research. Things you aren't going to hear in the ob's office.

Previously, you said "I see this as an example of why the broader women's movement has failed to continue forward: women are divided and instead of supporting one another, growing more and more fragmented" Yet here you said the information should be sought by the woman herself. Which is it? Are we going to support each other by being a little uncomfortable and getting the facts out there, or just sit back and say, "oh well, it's their choice" .

Don't you think women deserve better?
#90 of 136 Old 09-25-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride
I have to agree about this. If other women who have had c-sections feel that they've given birth, I don't want to take that away from them. But, I just feel angry when people insist that a cesarean section is giving birth.

I've had three c-sections. I'm very unlikely to ever give birth naturally at this point, as dh and I are probably not having any more children. I'm glad some women find more peace than I've found...but I don't feel that I've given birth and I'm hurt and offended when people try to tell me that I have. (I actually feel badly for dh on this front...he's so happy to see his babies and be there when they arrive. To him, it's the birth of his children, but, to me, it's just...not.)
I just wanted to say..thank you for such an intimate insight.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page