Post your negative VBAC failure stories here - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2006, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you. I don't know if I'm just bull-headed, in denial, or determined. Yes, 2ww means waiting to find out if I'm pregnant. DH & I were not planning it this early, but, oh well! We'll be happy!

And the prayers are greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow--you have been through a lot, Jackie. I admire your courage. After my 2nd c-section there isn't any way I want to go through it again. Even if I were younger and that was more of a possibility.

Are you a part of ICAN? There is probably a local chapter in your area. Ours has been a great resource and source of support for me in seeking a vbac.

Peace,
Old 11-26-2006, 06:57 PM

Yea...I thought after my 2nd section that I wouldn't want to go through it again. But baby fever hit big time when my 2nd was 2 yrs old. Dh took some convincing, but now, we know that we want at least two more. I'm really hoping & praying, that the next one will be a vaginal birth.

I've been a part of the ICAN list for over three years now. Thank goodness for them. I have met some wonderful ladies on that list, & plan on having some of them at my next birth!

Take care!

Old 12-24-2006, 05:54 PM

DS1 failed induction for polyhydramniosis and possible kidney issue. Didn't dilate even with gels, pills and the foley.

DS2 did everything right... IMO. Midwives not OB's (with over 85% success rate VBAC's) .... didn't dilate at all. Went to the hospital in labor, not dilated at all, couldn't even try to pop the bag. Midwife said with history of not dilating even with foley etc. it prob wouldn't work this time either. I agreed with her that another induction was not likely to work. Had section. Didn't help that they had to pull people from my room for an emergency on a ruptured VBAC when we were discussing options.

Still very very very upset about it. Still haven't posted birthstory anywhere. But I'm very much in love with my little boy and thankful we are both OK.

But at 8wks pp I'm still spotting blood and in persistent abdominal pain and being bounced around from dr. to dr. most of whom try to give me meds that arent' safe for nursing moms. Even celebrex... which got that doc and the pharmacist in a lot of trouble... but not because they shouldn't have given it to a nursing mother.... but because when I complained about it they realized that it was a very expensive drug and it was being prescribed only to manage pain which was a waste of money in their opinion. So my babies life didn't matter... just wasting hospital funds.

I am so grateful for this thread. Thank you for starting it.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM

:

Just thinking of all of us and wanted to give this thread a bump so others knew it was here for support.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:58 PM

We actually elected not to VBAC after planning to the whole pregnancy. My third child was a c/s due to transverse lie after ROM. Her spine was the presenting part. With #4 our doc was supportive, but I started to develop PIH. Ds was measuring 3 lb more than my other kids. He scored poorly on his BPP that morning and my pressure was climbing. I was 36 wks. Cervix was 1-2 cm and thick. His head was acynclitic and poorly applied to the cervix. The doctor gave us the option of induction with a foley and pit and we didn't feel comfortable with that. We prayed and felt peace about a repeat c/s. We got in and he was over 3 lb bigger than our previous births. He had a true knot and a nuchal cord X3. They had a heck of a time getting him out - almost had to use the vacuum.

This time I am searching for articles for my doc re: VBA2C. We will see. We would like a lot more kids and I don't want to keep being cut.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
This time I am searching for articles for my doc re: VBA2C. We will see. We would like a lot more kids and I don't want to keep being cut.
Just some gentle advice. If you have to show your Dr. the research that a VBAmC is a safer choice than an ERC, I would seriously consider another care provider. Especially if you want a lot of kids!!!! I highly recommend getting in contact with ICAN, or join their yahoo group. They have a wealth of information available.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

IMO, it's not a "failure" if you're able to avoid schedualing a c/s before the baby is ready, go into labor naturally, and then get the baby out in whatever way is safest for both of you at the time you're in labor. There's something hugely successful about a c/s after labor has started naturally rather than a schedualed c/s 3 weeks earlier!
Exactly!!!

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie75 View Post
Just some gentle advice. If you have to show your Dr. the research that a VBAmC is a safer choice than an ERC, I would seriously consider another care provider. Especially if you want a lot of kids!!!! I highly recommend getting in contact with ICAN, or join their yahoo group. They have a wealth of information available.
He is one of the only docs in the area that does them at all. And I've talked to three midwives. No one will take me. I have a history of PIH/HELLP with 2 pregnancies, PTL/PROM with two preganancies (both at 33.5 wks with delivery within 2 days) and chronic hypertension. I have to see someone who will prescribe the P17 shots for preterm labor.

I will be looking to find an ICAN group here though.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:56 PM

So Jackie- are you pregnant????
Old 01-29-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpmom View Post
So Jackie- are you pregnant????

Not yet! I want to get through the terrible twos first! LOL!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfamilygal View Post
He is one of the only docs in the area that does them at all. And I've talked to three midwives. No one will take me. I have a history of PIH/HELLP with 2 pregnancies, PTL/PROM with two preganancies (both at 33.5 wks with delivery within 2 days) and chronic hypertension. I have to see someone who will prescribe the P17 shots for preterm labor.

I will be looking to find an ICAN group here though.
I understand. I hope you get your VBA2C!!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:06 PM

I have been hesitating to read this thread for some time, because I've been frantically trying to prepare myself for my first VBAC in june, ever since I became pregnant again (like all of you, determined to do all I can to avoid another CS: doing research, reading lots of positive stories and all that). Strangely enough it's comforting me enormously to read about the other side as well. I might yet succeed in my attempt to VBAC, but it seems I really needed to be reminded that even if it might not work out in the end, I'll be so lucky to have another healthy baby. I got so stressed out from preparing for this birth, and it seemed such an important accompishment in my own eyes that I almost forgot that I have some other reward to look forward to as well, honestly! I feel for you all, thanks ever so much for sharing.

Mom to two girls, wife to DH : : : : : :
Old 02-04-2007, 07:36 PM

I posted back on the first page over a year ago. Here is my update on my third birth.
On January 22nd 2006 I gave birth to my 3rd child, again by c-section. Oddly enough I am not sad at all. I developed pre-eclampsia again at 34 weeks and we tried to hold on but by 36 weeks she needed to be born. Neither they nor I felt comfortable inducing after 2 c-sections so we had a third c-section. I had about 2 days to prepare for the idea but honestly through the whole pregnancy I always knew it was a possibility. I really enjoyed this birth. My DH took pictures of her being born (pm me if you want to see - they are in black and white so you can't see any blood!) and she roomed in with me from the moment she was out. We were only separated for a very short time because she was 36 weeks and struggling a bit with her breathing. I stayed in the hospital for 2 days (I always leave after 2 days even if they say no) and she slept in bed with me the whole time. Actually it was their suggestion! They said because her breathing was "grunty" it would be better to have her right with me because I couldn't jump up to lift her out of the bassinet. The recovery was very quick - partly because it was my third and partly because I took homeopathic arnica which I feel really helped. Overall it was a wonderful birth. I do not consider it a vbac failure, I consider it a postive c-birth.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 02-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Suzy,
I am impressed that you are brave enough to read this thread! When planning for The VBAC I Knew I Was Going to Have I dutifully deleted all CBAC stories with a "tsk tsk... poor woman, wonder what she did wrong".
OK maybe not THAT bad, but I knew it wasn't going to happen to me since I was educated and trusted birth and whatnot....
so anyway, good for you for daring to explore the realm-that-noone-wants-to-enter

Elaine (HBAC-turned-CBAC for CPD/OP baby)
Old 02-06-2007, 12:34 AM

Bump Cuz I just love you all.

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
Old 02-07-2007, 05:19 PM

Hi, I'm new and grateful that you all posted this. I had my unsuccessful VBAC just two months ago and it was quite a profound experience.

We went through a birthing center with midwives and were planning a home water birth. We were all set to go with no problems throughout the pregnancy (last c/s was because my son was breech). My water broke a week before my due date at 3a.m. We set up the birthing tub and prepared ourselves. To make a long story short I didn't progress as I should have. I labored long and hard (in my own opinion) for 24 hrs at home. It was the worst pain of my life and I am guilty to admit that I wanted to go to the hospital sooner than I did. Labor started positive. I was nearly effaced and at one cm. Midwife said labor would go quickly. However, that wasn't the case. My contractions maintained 45 seconds about five mins apart the entire labor. By 2a.m the next morning I was dilated to 7cm but I was exhausted and there was no end in sight. There was a small piece of cervix that wouldn't let go apparently. My midwife did everything she could to try and get it out of the way to no avail. She inserted EPO, I was given I.V fluids for dehydration, we tried to push the baby out (loved ones even saw her head) and eventually I was done. I was worried about being in labor for so long with my water broken and the risk of rupture going up even more. I was exhausted and most importantly I was in unbelievable pain!!! My biggest disappointment was that I could not find any relief. Nothing helped. I thought I would find at least something helpful but I didn't...no massage, not the tub, no guided visualization, no breathing technique, none of these things helped me cope with the pain. I just endured as best as I could for as long as I could despite my generous support system (midwife, doula, husband, friends, etc.).

Nearly 24 hrs later when I arrived at the hospital I signed my life away through a stack of consent forms for pain relief. I did feel guilty but I was in pain for so long at that point. I didn't argue the c/s. I just wanted it over. We didn't have any ultrasounds so I was absolutely elated when my husband told me it was a girl. We have a son and I really wanted a girl so this was the light at the end of the tunnel that made it well worth it. In the end I told myself I had the best of both worlds. I labored at home with my loved ones and then had the benefit of medical technology. Plus, my little angel ended up with some complications in NICU. I feel that these problems may not have been discovered if I had given birth at home so perhaps this is why she had to be born in the hospital.

I don't discourage anyone from a VBAC at all. Granted, when I was lying in the O.R I kept telling myself that I should have scheduled the damn C-section anyway instead of going through all that pain. At least now though I can say that I went through it, that I know what it feels like, and that I will not under any circumstances be going through it again, lol.

Thanks for letting me share my story.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:56 AM

Bumping this thread to offer support for those who need it...
Old 04-08-2007, 01:52 PM

thanks, i think it's good to read about possible complications and know what might end up happening even to those of us who are set on vbacs and try as hard as we can to have one.

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 PM

for the mama that asked about rupture/partial rupture stories. maybe there are some in here?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:31 AM

Thank you so much for finding this thread for me. I definitely felt as if I did my best during my second birth, although of course I grieve what I wanted as well.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 PM

It might be nice to have this thread up as a sticky too. Not as "inspiring" as all the positive successful VBAC stories, but I think it is helpful for those mamas for whom things just don't work out, for one reason or another. Makes it feel like less of a "failure".

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 10-23-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post
It might be nice to have this thread up as a sticky too. Not as "inspiring" as all the positive successful VBAC stories, but I think it is helpful for those mamas for whom things just don't work out, for one reason or another. Makes it feel like less of a "failure".
yes please sticky!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:51 PM

I posted my unsuccessful VBAC story back on page 2 & although at the time I did it full of anger & bitterness, it began my healing process.

Thank you for starting this thread. I feel like it should be a sticky, too. Maybe we could re-name it to something w/ more of a positive twist?

I am due w/#3 here in the next month. I am going for a HBA2C & I hope to be posting on the other sticky birth stories, but if I don't, I will be back, & it will be OK.

Rachel~wife to Keith since 5/01~mother to Georgia since 4/04~Bishop since 1/06~Zoe since 11/07 (my HBA2C!)~EDD 2/14/10 w/Baby surprise #4
Old 10-23-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrfcharlton View Post
Maybe we could re-name it to something w/ more of a positive twist?
Someone early on in the thread suggested renaming it CBAC birth stories or something along those lines...

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 PM

I don't like the term cesarean birth at all. They were not births to me. I know some do use it, & some don't...& that's OK.

VBAC failure is fine for me. We are not describing ourselves as failures, just the attempt of a vaginal birth was a failure.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 AM

subbing. I'll have my story to add soon.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post
Someone early on in the thread suggested renaming it CBAC birth stories or something along those lines...
I'd like to second or third this suggestion. As soon as this came up on my subscribed list - I cringed reading it.
Maybe just drop the word failure from the title.

and hugs to you alisaterry.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM

Wow, I found this late, but thank you!

DD2 was supposed to be a homebirth and I ended up with ANOTHER emergency c-section. To make matters worse, she had had a stroke at some point in the pregnancy (they couldn't pinpoint, but I strongly believe it happened during my very slow and lenghty[72 hour] labor). She has severe brain damage as a result and was in the NICU for 2 weeks. I don't blame it on trying to have a homebirth, but it makes it difficult to talk about with both HB advocates AND mainstream birth advocates. Everyone is always convinced I did something wrong and it hurts. "Well you should have done this" "if you had just done this..." I had an amazing midwife and so much self-confidence and not a shred of doubt that I wouldn't birth peacefully at home. I didn't even bother to make a birth plan "just in case" we had to go to the hospital because I refused to even entertain the possibility. I did every single thing I was told to do. I read all the books, ate all the right foods, did all the right visualizations, and it still wasn't enough.

I feel betrayed by my body and although I'm planning a VBAC (in hospital with an OB, *gasp*) this time, I just can't get excited about it. I've got my doula (who was the MW with #2) and she's so great and so amazing and I can't wait to have another little one in my arms, but I try to just not think about the birth part. If I end up with another c/s I don't know if I can emotionally deal with trying for a vaginal birth again.

Anyway, thanks for giving me someplace to vent
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Thank you for bringing this thread up to the top. We tried for VBAC last week and got our beautiful baby via cesarean instead. I am sorry but relieved that I am not alone.

User Tag List