Raspberry leaf tea and other herbs??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-31-2005, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard raspberry leaf tea recommended to help strengthen the uterus and promote good labor. Just wondering if it could make a VBAC go wrong the same way that drugs to augment or induce labor do - by "unnaturally" strengthening contractions such that there is a heightened risk of rupture.

Are there other herbs that are especially good or harmful to VBAC moms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-31-2005, 03:53 PM

Red raspberry leaf tea is not used to induce labor or strengthen contractions; it helps to tone the smooth muscles of the body (including the uterus), so it is believed to have beneficial effects for labor when used during pregnancy.

Herbs used to actually bring on/strengthen contractions would be black or blue cohosh, which should only be used by an experienced midwife.
#3 of 10 Old 10-31-2005, 04:14 PM

ditto birth junky.
RRLT is a uterine toner, not a labor inducer. My natural labor surges were only strong during the final hour(s) of labor as they helped move the baby down and out. (I had a nice slow 14 hour+ labor.) And even then they were nowhere near as strong as the pitocin induced ones I had with my first labor.
I took 2-3 capsules of RRLT every day.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#4 of 10 Old 11-01-2005, 06:27 PM

I drank lots of red raspberry leaf tea started around 37 weeks and didn't go into labor until 41.5 weeks and still ended up with a c-s. I just talked to my midwife today and she said the only thing we will use next time to help with labor is Evening Primrose oil on my cervix. I didn't ask her about the tea but I'm sure i'll be trying it again!

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#5 of 10 Old 11-01-2005, 07:46 PM

Melinda, thanks for asking this, I'm glad to read the discussion!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#6 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 01:51 PM

I am currently at 37 weeks with baby #2. I have been drinking RRL tea since I got pregnant, 1 cup. I increased it to 3-4 cups this last trimester. From what I have researched it is perfectly safe, like Birth Junkie said. I am also taking EPO orally (starting at 36.5 weeks), 2 capsuls (500 mg each) per day. I plan to start inserting them next week. From what I have heard this doesn't induce labor either, only ripens your cervix.
#7 of 10 Old 06-06-2006, 03:13 PM

This is an old thread but I have the same question so I thought we'd keep it all in one place.

So, toning the uterine muscles, does this not have as a result stronger contractions? I can see the contractions would be more efficient and the uterus will tire less easily, but would the strain on the scar be increased as well?

Thanks for helping me understand (I started drinking RRL in the 3rd trimester, but as I keep reading posts about the effect of strong labor/ high pressure on scars, I am wondering about the mechanisms by which RRL would not have the same effect).

Oana
#8 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyGirl28
I am currently at 37 weeks with baby #2. I have been drinking RRL tea since I got pregnant, 1 cup. I increased it to 3-4 cups this last trimester. From what I have researched it is perfectly safe, like Birth Junkie said. I am also taking EPO orally (starting at 36.5 weeks), 2 capsuls (500 mg each) per day. I plan to start inserting them next week. From what I have heard this doesn't induce labor either, only ripens your cervix.
There was an earlier thread and I think the general thinking was NOT to use EPO vaginally for VBAC. here it is
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=456637
#9 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 01:23 AM

Red rapsberry leaf is a nutritive herb.......like a food if you will......much like other plants like dandelion, nettle, red clover, etc (which by the way are also VERY good for pregnant mamas). These types of plants differ from what we would consider a medicinal plant that one would take to bring on labor or have some other strong effect on the body.

Red raspberry leaf is safe for babies, children, pregnancy, nursing, and just about anyone. It's actually very good iced in the summertime!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#10 of 10 Old 06-10-2006, 11:52 AM

With my second dd, a successful, natural VBAC, I took oral EPO and drank RRLT during my last trimester... I've actually been meaning to look up when to start them both, as I'm getting up on six months with #3 now. I know I only took EPO for about a month, no more - maybe only about three weeks - and I am pretty sure I didn't start drinking RRLT until sometime in my late sixth month, possibly not til the seventh.

I was seen by a practice of six CNMs, all of whom were very supportive of my VBAC and all of whom knew about the EPO & RRLT and none ever mentioned that there might be potential problems from the tea... as it happened, I had a nice slow labor too (around 15 hrs), with nothing I would call really strong ctx til around transition - the last two and a half hours or so.

Also I do remember that my cervix was very ripe and soft during the last week or so, and as my c/s had been for FTP and I didn't begin labor until I consented to pitocin 10 hours after my water broke and only ever dilated to five cm, obviously I'll never know for sure but I felt like the EPO may have helped as far as ripening my cervix went.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page