laboring at home as long as you can? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 12-31-2005, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i understand all labors are different but i still wouldnt want to enter a hospital before 8 cm. I was 4 cm for a week before i had my last one and in my mind 4 cm could be a long way off! 4cm leaves too much room for talk of epidurals, inductions, lots of monitoring, basically all the things that lead up to a c-sec. if you have a drive ahead of you however leave when ever makes you comfortable but walk around outside, get a hotel, ect.... But thats just me and i dont have the drive some of you have to make.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#32 of 38 Old 12-31-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo
No I would love a hb, it is definitely the distance. Taking 20 minutes to drive to the hospital is too long if my baby needs to get out immediately. Is that likely? No. But I dont think I could relax knowing that.
it would take AT LEAST that long for most hospitals to even get you prepped for surgery - even an emergency c-section.

sometimes the "safety" of a hospital is not what we think - and we trade real risks for very, very rare ones.
#33 of 38 Old 12-31-2005, 09:25 AM

I LOVE MOTEL BIRTHS. As a midwife.

A bus. outside. ALL good.

The best part is when we all walk out the next morning.

Iv'e never really read the fine print of my motel contract but I'll bet they forgot to add, "no planned childbirth".

There is probably a rule, "No other than normally accepted lodging activities"
#34 of 38 Old 12-31-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
it would take AT LEAST that long for most hospitals to even get you prepped for surgery - even an emergency c-section.
I think in a TRUE emergency, not FTP or all the other myriad excuses, they could cut a lot sooner than that. Even if not, it would be the time to drive there plus the time to prep... maybe as time goes on I can resolve all this (and would love to do so)... I just dont know.
#35 of 38 Old 01-01-2006, 01:38 PM

I am having some concerns about that as well. I was originally planning a hb, but my mw decided I lived too far away for her to travel.. I haven't been able to find anyone else.

I'm not totally comfortable with a UBA4C, so I am seriously considering renting a motel room to labor in. There is one a 5 minute walk away from the hospital, and cabs always hang out outside. That was I could labor till I am really close to delivering. If I go in the hospital pretty much complete and pushing, they can't force a section on me. Hopefully, anyway.

Maybe you could try something like that?

Crunchy, pagan, vegan,homeschooling wife and mother of 3 beautiful daughters and 2 wonderful sons

#36 of 38 Old 01-01-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

that is an option, for sure ... I did consider that when pg with DD. I just love the thought of a hb but I just dont know that I would ever feel safe enough to let go, yk?
#37 of 38 Old 01-01-2006, 03:49 PM

hrs from hvenly]I am facing this dilemna right now. My problem is the only hospital I can deliver at (with midwives) is over an hour away with no traffic. With traffic we are looking at 90 minutes. ((Snip))
Our one possible plan is to rent a motel (nice motel, but separate entrances for privacy) room in the motel that is less than 1 km from the hospital as soon as I go into labour and go there when I'm sure its the real thing and just hang there until transition. [/QUOTE]

Shawna,

that may be a great option for you. I had a client that lived 1½hrs from the hospital that she planned to use for birth. She did not want to A) be in the car for that long a ride during transistion and B) show up to the hospital too early. When she started feeling early labor twinges she headed to a motel that was 5 mins from the hospital. I met her there and we (she, her DP and I) hung out while she labored and got "transition-y". We quickly ran over to the hospital, she had the baby 40 min later. Her parents (and DP's too) paid for the expenditure of the motel, which IMO was a great way to help welcome their grandson into this world. Maybe this could be an option for you?
#38 of 38 Old 01-01-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo
that is an option, for sure ... I did consider that when pg with DD. I just love the thought of a hb but I just dont know that I would ever feel safe enough to let go, yk?
to you mama. I know how hard it was for me to get to a place where I felt at peace, in my heart and head about where to birth after my c/sect. It took a lot of reading, researching, and soul searching. Ultimately when I started attending births as a doula, seeing how the whole system works as a 3rd person, rather than the birthing mama all but made my mind up for me... I knew in my heart that I would never stand a snowballs chance in HELL of being able to have a half way normal/natural/peaceful birth experience. I wound up birthing my 3rd and 4th babies at home with a MW. And with the 4th, the MW just stood in the corner as I pushed "Soybean" into this world.

It's been a long time since I frequented this board, so I don't know the details of what led to your c/s, but I do feel comfortable making this blanket statement -- Your body is NOT defective. It is not broken. It DOES know how to give birth. Trust yourself. You can do it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page