laboring at home as long as you can? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2005, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you plan to stay home in labor as long as you can, and then go to a hospital, then is there any point in going? I am wanting baby #3, and it will be a vba2c.... I would personally feel more comfortable in a hospital since we are about 20 minutes from one, but if I stay home till I want to push, then is there any point in going or should you just stay put? I would think that other than the baby getting stuck or something, you have already passed the point of most problems? If you were going to rupture, when is it most likely to happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2005, 07:51 PM

I did this last time. I labored at home with a homebirth midwife until I was 9 cm with a lip and then jumped into the car for the 1/2 hour ride to the hospital. We did it because my husband is military and his command was giving him a VERY hard time about homebirthing (to the extent that they threatened to take away his line number for his promotion to Lieutenant Colonel). Anyway, this time we're staying quiet, staying home, and not bothering to go to the hospital.

My labor went very smoothly at home, during the car ride, my cervix shrank back to 7 cm and the baby switched to posterior : . I think dd would have been born about 4 or 5 hours earlier had I stayed at home. The hospital did respect all my wishes for a natural birth though, and the outcome was still lovely .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Great question!! I have been wondering the same thing, I don't want to get to the hospital too soon, infact I prefer to just stay home for the entire thing!! When to go, when to go............ I sure wish I knew more about Unassisted Childbirth, but it's a bit too late in the game for that, DH would pass out at the suggestion!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:38 PM

Rupture is not my main concern. I'm staying home for as long as I can because I'll be more comfortable at home & I won't have to be on the monitor. In an ideal world, a home birth would be possible. But us right now, its not.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 12-08-2005, 02:51 AM

my biggest concern is being hooked up to monitors and the stresses that being at the hospital brings. plus the fact that they will lable me as a previous C-section when i walk in the doors. so i will stay at home with my doula till 8 cm. then go to the hospital. i also plan to be prepared with a couple things in case transition goes by so fast that i end up just having the baby at home. but a homebirth is not the plan. though wouldnt be wonderful if it all went so smoothly that it just happened at home!! perfect world.

i dont know what rupture is most likely to happen but since its not likely to happen at all i wouldnt worry about that.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
Old 12-08-2005, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the worst thing would be to travel during transition or pushing, I would think. then again, as a homebirth proponent, I'd just stay home and not call 911 or anything afterwards.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:44 AM

this is why im going to the birth center...b/c ive had 2 c/s's and the docs have the fear of g-d in me that something may go wrong. i am trying to get those thoughts out of my head, but you know how that goes!
good luck
rach
Old 12-08-2005, 02:10 PM

Allison, mom to 3, midwife,
Old 12-09-2005, 02:31 AM

When I was planning my 1st VBAC that is what I decided to do since I didn't have a supportive care-provider. I hired a doula so she stayed with me throughout my home labor and once I started feeling the urge to bear down we left for the hospital. (We had planned to leave during transition, but I don't have the usual emotional sign-posts of transistion so no one realized.) Anyhow, I wasn't treated well in the hospital and looking back I do wonder why I didn't just stay home. I was doing so wonderful!

The main thing I would wonder about if I were you is how will you be treated when you do arrive? Will you be "punished" for staying home in labor? Will you still be respected? Will everything remain calm so that the actual birth can be how you desire?

I didn't think about any of that when I made my labor plans and I really wish I would have.

This doesn't even remotely answer your questions, but I just thought I would share my experience. I hope that you are able to come up with something that works for you.

respectfully,
Old 12-09-2005, 02:36 PM

I am 38 weeks & had really considered the whole staying home & just "not making it" to the hospital, but my DH is just not comfortable w/that. I hung out in the U/C board for a while & got really encouraged to do this, but not this time. Unless, I drink my strong RRL tea & the baby just comes that quickly! But, I am planning on staying home as long as possible. I am w/CNM's & the hospital doesn't seem to mind you staying home to labor (we'll see though w/me being a VBAC).

Rachel

Rachel~wife to Keith since 5/01~mother to Georgia since 4/04~Bishop since 1/06~Zoe since 11/07 (my HBA2C!)~EDD 2/14/10 w/Baby surprise #4
Old 12-09-2005, 03:53 PM

Oh, this is all very fresh for me. I had a VBAC in august doing exactly what you mentioned. I had a doula and I stayed in my shower alone until I felt pushy. My DH checked me and didn't feel any cervix ( doulas can't check in my state ). We got in the car for a 15-20 minute ride. I arrived at 7:40 and baby was out by 8:00. I was not punished or anything. i told my fp that this was my plan. He was all in favor of it. In fact, I think he wanted me to stay home and have a homebirth. In hindsight I could have finished up at home. the birth went very smoothly and pushing was great. I had to have stitches, but a midwife could have easily done them. But, I didn't feel bad going in either. Everyone was great, impressed with me even. It was a fine choice. But for the next baby.....????? I don't know.
I think staying home can be a good option. It worked really well for me. I guess the only advice I have is that you need to be ready for transition in the car. IMO, transition is pretty hard any way you look at it and I did fine in the car.
- Kerri
Old 12-09-2005, 03:58 PM

I am staying home as long as possible, unless it is getting close to rush hour (Dallas traffic is a (&(*^ and the hospital is 30 minutes away). I went from 6-10 in an hour with my last vag delivery and pushed twice. So I while I wouldn't mind if it happened at home (I've actually dreamed that Luke is born in our bathtub several times) we will plan to head in as soon as I get to 5 or 6. I'm a nurse and have gloves at home so I will check myself.

My doc and the L&D nurses said that is fine.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:26 AM

I am facing this dilemna right now. My problem is the only hospital I can deliver at (with midwives) is over an hour away with no traffic. With traffic we are looking at 90 minutes. I did dilate to 10 cm with my daughter so I am worried this one will go quicker and I will end up delivering on the side of the road. My midwives cannot do a homebirth, there are none that can (in Ontario midwifery is highly regulated and I am VBA2C). So I don't really know what to do. I don't want a medicalized birth at all and I know going to the hospital will stress me out big time. But at the same time being so far from the hospital I can't really just stay at home until transition or I will end up delivering on the side of the road in February. And that's another issue! In February there is a big chance it will be snowing which will make the trip to the hospital a good 2 hours. I am going to have a vaginal birth come hell or high water so I will have to figure this out but still no clue. Our one possible plan is to rent a motel (nice motel, but separate entrances for privacy) room in the motel that is less than 1 km from the hospital as soon as I go into labour and go there when I'm sure its the real thing and just hang there until transition. Who knows!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 12-10-2005, 01:49 AM

there is an old adage that says "if the birth is fast, then everything is usually fine" so if you think you will give birth on the side of the road- by all means, stay home!! you are much safer being at home, than trying to get thru traffic in cold weather. The baby can be kept safe and warm at home and after a couple of days, if you really feel you need to take the baby to see a pediatrician, then it can be done then. Otherwise, just enjoy your babymoon! I saw a 20/20 type show one time that showed a lady going to a hospital in Ontario, CA, in February, in the midst of a snowstorm. It was her second baby and they generally come faster than the first ones. Anyway, after 15 min on the road, she realized the baby was coming, right then, pulled to the side of the road, called 911, and a cop came and caught the baby and then they went to the hospital. Baby was OK, but temp was a little low(skin to skin contact in thier own bed would have solved that) and they stayed overnight in the hospital. I was yelling at the lady on the TV, Why didn't you just stay home! You would have been much more comfortable and safe!! Grrr....No reason to risk life and limb getting to a hospital when you can do it yourself better.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:46 PM

I think a 90 minute drive and in the middle of Winter might be too much. My birthing center was only 15-20 minutes away and that was long enough. I don't know if I would attempt that long of a journey if you already feel like the labor will be short. Hmmmm? IMO, staying home or doing the hotel thing are your best options.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:28 PM

I'm going for vbac in January and plan on laboring at home with my doula who is also a mw in training. Depending on weather, will determine how long I stay home laboring. (I have 2 hospital choices - both are about an hour away). My plan is to go to mw office and labor there if it's 'off hours', rent a hotel room, and/or go to hospital, but not check in or anything, and find a quiet corridor and labor til things get going well, THEN check in and then do the continuous monitoring and iv. .. . (have no real choice on those 2 items).

No one says if you go to hospital you HAVE to check in right then ! Just a thought. . . .

'sides, if there are situations that get scary, you're literally seconds from assistance that way.

This is my first vbac and I'm just not comfortable with a home birth. Next time around - I'll probably do the home birth route. I just want a labor/delivery first. It's a confidence thing.

Love,
BettyAnn
ds 3.8.04 41w3d induction that didn't work out - considered ftp after 7 hours and 6cm, macrosomia-labeled - and ds was 8#1oz at birth so u/s were obviously wrong. . . ..
ds due in Jan
Old 12-11-2005, 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=happyfrog]
No one says if you go to hospital you HAVE to check in right then ! Just a thought. . . .

'sides, if there are situations that get scary, you're literally seconds from assistance that way.

This is my first vbac and I'm just not comfortable with a home birth. Next time around - I'll probably do the home birth route. I just want a labor/delivery first. It's a confidence thing.

[/QUOTE=happyfrog]

Anyone who works anywhere in a hospital, will recognise real labor when they see it and you will be MADE to go to either triage or L&D. If you are really serious about a VBAC , *stay out of the hospital!* until you are pushing, and even then I know docs who have pushed baby BACK UP the vagina, and sent the mom to OR!! It is not usually safe to be a VBAC in hospital, depending on where you are...ask which docs have done VBACs, if any.... on the second comment, you are also literally seconds away from another unnecessary operation.
I am sorry you are not comfortable with homebirth, may I ask what your fears are, maybe they can be addressed and answered here.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:11 AM

My Ob and Mw want me to be near the hosp. just in case. We live very very far away. We are planning do one of these 3 options: rent an apt. nearby for the last few weeks so we can settle in and wait 'at home' and have a 'home birth', drive down there when signs of labor begin and check into a decent motel room or rent a mobile home and park it as near as we can. We can't stay at our 'real' home because we are at least 90min away and I don't want to have to labor on the road.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:44 PM

I am sorry you are not comfortable with homebirth, may I ask what your fears are, maybe they can be addressed and answered here.

Cathi - I live about an hour away from a 'good' hospital. So, if things get scary, I have an hour transport - either that, or I'll get sent to the local hospital where things did not go well at all with first baby - (c/s after induction, had complications, bad situation!)

As a result, this time around, I'm not sure about a home birth. After I have a successful vbac, then I'll probably be doing home births. That's the plan, at any rate - if we get blessed with more children.

Love,
BettyAnn
Old 12-26-2005, 07:21 PM

I'm planning to stay home until the last possible moment this time. We are having baby #4 and I would love a homebirth, but my husband is not comfortable with the idea at all. I got him to compromise on me staying home to labor. I have very long labors 21, 23 and 18 1/2 hours for our three children. I have found that when you get to the hospital too fast, the interventions begin. They seem in a hurry to get it over with. I have been given pitocin with all 3, which I don't think is needed, I'm just one of those lucky people to have long labors. We have a doppler and I will check the heartrate periodically to reassure dh and myself that the baby is ok. I have dreamed (several times) that this one was born at home, so who knows????
Old 12-27-2005, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just that we are a 20 minute or so drive from a hospital ...
Old 12-29-2005, 02:21 AM

can you find a doula that is also an rn ? as we all know it is hard to predict how the birth will go , impossible really . so be positve make your plans drink fluids slowly but never stop drinking . no dehydraytion , no iv's. I LOVE Smart water. All the best mama.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:22 AM

we were 35-40 minutes from hospital we made it most do.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo
Just that we are a 20 minute or so drive from a hospital ...

20 minutes is ideal! it's a perfect distance.

then again, if you don't feel comfortable with homebirth, it's different. is it really the distance or are you worried about something else?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:36 PM

i have been reading a lot about emergency homebirths and what i really need to have "just in case" basically a cord clamp of some sort that are maybe a couple $$ at the most. and i will make up my bed with a set of sheets followed by a plastic sheet and another set of sheets over that. The two sets of sheets will come in handy even if i dont end up having the baby at home because when i come home with a newborn i know i will soak myself in breastmilk one night! i think reading about unassisted homebirth is very smart and when the time comes we will have more confidence however the birth goes. my husband wants to go to the hospital but i dont think he would want me to go if i was going to end up having the baby in the car. that wont happen to us because i can see the hospital from our house. In any case i dont think anyones husband is going to pick you up and force you into the car. if it goes that smoothly it will also probably go quickly and he wont have time to think about anything but being there for you. Thats my hope anyway. Be prepared for all senarios.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
then again, if you don't feel comfortable with homebirth, it's different. is it really the distance or are you worried about something else?
No I would love a hb, it is definitely the distance. Taking 20 minutes to drive to the hospital is too long if my baby needs to get out immediately. Is that likely? No. But I dont think I could relax knowing that.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:31 PM

For me - we stayed home as long as possible - My dh and I (well mostly me) read the Bradley Birthing Book and really looked at the emotional signposts as an indicator for us....I got to the hosp. at 8cm....Oh! and we were 45-60 minutes from the hosp...Ithink the disruption causes you to slow down a bit...
Old 12-30-2005, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My mom had 36, 47, and 39 hour labors, but believed in natural birth in a time when it just wasn't done yet (around here, anyway). She waited until she had been in active labor for some time, and then she WOULD go to the hospital and walk the halls until she felt ready to push. Nobody has the RIGHT to force you to check in, and pregnant women are a pretty common sight on the l&d unit, so who's to say you're NOT waiting for triage? If you're ninty minutes away, that's what I'd do...it's free! On the other hand, I love to use water to labor, and you couldn't do that in the hallway of the hospital. Sooo, I learned what it felt like to be effaced and dialated. I checked myself, and left the house both times at four centimeters. I would seriously caution you against waiting until transition or feeling the urge to push. I didn't push at all with my second, and only for 38 minutes with my first, and with a ten minute transition with the first and no recognizable transition period with the second. Every labor is different, so...you might get a surprise! As far as the water breaking, I wouldn't say that that's a decent gauge at all. My first labor, the water didn't break until the baby crowned. With the second, it broke two times, first time twelve hours before he was born, and second time (really a gout of water the second time) about an hour and a half before he was born. The second was a planned homebirth, but I am a quiet laborer, and the lay midwife didn't believe I was in active labor because I was not making enough noise. So she left, and I went directly to the hospital, after calling my CNM. She met me there (I was dialated to a 4.5 and completely effaced when I left on my 20 minute ride to the hospital), actually, she was waiting for me there, terrified that I'd have him in the car. I wasn't worried, but...I guess there is really no perfect time to go. Go when it feels right to you. THere are a couple of little books that your dh can read that are written as references for EMT's and such, in case he has to help you unexpectedly, and then he'd be prepared! Don't remember the titles, but my dh felt much better after having read them. Good luck!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 12-31-2005, 02:11 AM

I just had a successful hospital VBAC. I have to say I am so grateful to live in CA and to have a health care provider like Kaiser Permanente that is so foward thinking and proactive. My OB was extreemly supportive of my VBAC and even explained that Kaiser's policy is to encourage VBAC and discourage scheduled C-sections. The statistics provided when I signed the consent form were 75% success rate for VBAC, that was on the form! When I told him I wanted to labor at home as long as possible he said to go to the hospital at 511, 5 min apart, lasting a 1 minute for 1 hour. My contractions went from 10 min apart to 3 min apart in about 20 minutes, so when I did go to the hospital about 30 min later with a 20 min ride, I was 7cm, and my water bag was unbroken but bulging.

Things definatly slowed down once I got there. There were forms and questions and monitors. So that 2 hours later my water was still not broken and I was still only 7 cm. Things did pick up, but I got so distracted during the shift change, which was right when I was going into transistion. I couldn't regain focus and the pain became overwhelming. I ended up getting an epidural, but I did deliver vaginally, which was most important.

The moral of this story, laboring at home and then going to the hospital, worked for us. We were not prepared for a home birth.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:30 AM

I am in a similar situation, but in Alberta. ALthough we're not pregnant with our second child, yet, we hope to be soon. We had a wonderful water birth experience last time, birthing with a midwife in a pilot project at a hospital about 1.5 hours from our home. I couldn't have asked for better care or a more fulfilling experience, but I must admit that the 1.5 hour drive could have been left out. Our problem is that we live in such a rural area. We are 45 mins from the closest health centre (barring there's not a lot of snow, moose, or deer on the highway) and if anything were wrong with the labour, they'd ship me to Edmonton, another 1.5 hours. I'd love to birth at home with a midwife, but I can't find anyone to come out here and I'm a little nervous being so remote. So, I thought of renting a motel room and just having the midwife come there. But, are there legalities with planning to have my baby in a motel? And, it's not the same as home. I may as well be at the birth centre where we were very comfortable last time. I just could do without the drive... Any creative suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly
I am facing this dilemna right now. My problem is the only hospital I can deliver at (with midwives) is over an hour away with no traffic. With traffic we are looking at 90 minutes. I did dilate to 10 cm with my daughter so I am worried this one will go quicker and I will end up delivering on the side of the road. My midwives cannot do a homebirth, there are none that can (in Ontario midwifery is highly regulated and I am VBA2C). So I don't really know what to do. I don't want a medicalized birth at all and I know going to the hospital will stress me out big time. But at the same time being so far from the hospital I can't really just stay at home until transition or I will end up delivering on the side of the road in February. And that's another issue! In February there is a big chance it will be snowing which will make the trip to the hospital a good 2 hours. I am going to have a vaginal birth come hell or high water so I will have to figure this out but still no clue. Our one possible plan is to rent a motel (nice motel, but separate entrances for privacy) room in the motel that is less than 1 km from the hospital as soon as I go into labour and go there when I'm sure its the real thing and just hang there until transition. Who knows!

User Tag List