Where tohave a VBAC around Olympia WA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2006, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone offer any info on a midwife or hospital in WA state (or oregon if i get desparate enough) that offers VBAC's? I'm also hoping DSHS medical will cover this but i'll figure that part out later..
thank you all.
sheelah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 04:28 PM

I'm also looking for a VBAC friendly provider around Bonney Lake, WA for a friend of mine hoping to attempt a VBA2C. (Actually anywhere within a 50 mile radius.) It's a bad time in Washington state right now for VBAC's.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:27 AM

My MW is wonderful! She is in Spokane though. She is very un-interventive and all prenatal testing is up to me and DH. We do not have to do any of it unless we decide we want to. Have you contacted ICAN of Tacoma, ICAN of Seattle, or ICAN of Bothell? They may have some ideas for you. check out www.ican-online.org for their contact info, just look under community and chapters.

DSHS will NOT cover a VBAC homebirth. I researched this alot. Some MW's are willing to just not classify it as a VBACwhen they bill, just a HB though so there is some le-way. They will cover the prenatal and the postpartum though, so for us that leaves about 1,100 for the actual birth.

Could you travel somewhere else for the last bit of pg?

Allison

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Old 01-04-2006, 11:42 PM

I have heard of...

Dr. Marion and Dr. Nelson deliver at Tacoma General (253) 627-0666
Dr. Isbell, Dydell and Wittman deliver at Evergreen Medical Center in Kirkland (425) 899-5000
I have also heard that Karen Hayes (CNM) might deliver at UW

Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM

Just a quick thank you to those posting info/resources on this thread. It's so helpful for us who are looking to find a provider! Y'all are great!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:09 AM

I've just finished (I hope at least) going through the hassle of trying to find a VBAC provider in Western Washington, particularly within the constraints of DSHS, so let me tell you all that I found out in the hopes that it will make your own search shorter!

I live in Kitsap County and my only health plan options through DSHS were Community Health Plan of Washington and Group Health (these are the same options available in Thurston as far as I know). Of all the providers who contract with CHPW in Kitsap and Pierce Counties, I only found one who would do a VBAC, an OB, Phoebe Hoh in Tacoma. Like AllisonK said, DSHS won't cover a HBAC, so licensed midwives are out (unless you want to pay out of pocket).

Eventually, I settled on Group Health because they position themselves as VBAC friendly and both their midwifery and OB teams have been supportive of me so far. However, the problem is that they contract with St. Joe's in Tacoma, and St. Joe's doesn't allow VBACs. Instead, they'll send you to Tacoma General, but that's no good because Tacoma General, being the regional trauma hospital is VERY interventive and conservative. They require continuous monitoring, IV, etc. What the Group Health providers recommend instead, is that those seeking VBACs go to their birth center at their Seattle hospital. From what I've heard from other VBAC mamas, the Seattle birth center is very VBAC friendly and supportive. So that's what we're doing, even though it means at least an hour of driving, maybe more. Probably, we will find a hotel room in Seattle as soon as labor starts and just wait for a while before going in so that we don't get stuck in rush hour in labor!

I met with a couple licensed midwives as well, but paying out of pocket is sadly not an option for us. Pam Golliet (Federal Way) was particularly awesome and I highly recommend checking her out. If it wasn't for the fact that DSHS won't cover a homebirth, I would hire her in a second (I'd much prefer a homebirth anyway!)

Anyway, I'm new here, just joined today in response to reading your request for Oly VBAC providers. I just wanted to share what my research has revealed so that you hopefully don't have to look so long and hard!

Good good luck!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM

VBAC in Olympia

We had to have a c-section with our daughter (and first child) due to fetal distress during labor, but we want to try for a vaginal birth with our second child. We are new to the Olympia area, but I've made a few friends in play groups. I've heard that South Sound Women's Center does VBAC's (their website says that too). They deliver at Capital Medical Center. The mom's I talked to who delivered there said the nurses at Capital were overly busy and they didn't like their birthing experience.

I called Olympia Ob/Gyn and they said they also support VBAC's. They deliver at Providence St. Peter's hospital. The mom's I talked to who delivered there said they were really happy with delivering there. One of my friends delivered one of her babies at Capital and another at St. Pete's and said her experience was very different at each hospital. She said she felt neglected and uninformed at Capital and at St. Pete's she felt like she was pampered and treated really well.

I read online that St. Peter's doesn't do VBAC's, but I thought I would call them to make sure. I talked to their Family Birthing Center and they said they HAVE been doing VBAC's for a few years now (it's currently July 2014). That sounds really great to us if we don't have to travel to Tacoma or Seattle. We are going to try Olympia OB and see how it goes at St. Pete's.

User Tag List