1st MW visit--VBAC RANT!!!!!!! UPDATE - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2006, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THANKS!

I'm sorry to hear about your UR, too and appreciate your sharing that it could go unnoticed. Did you find out b/c of the baby's heart-rate? Did you end up having to have a hysterectomy or were they able to save your uterus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
I'm sorry to hear about your UR, too and appreciate your sharing that it could go unnoticed. Did you find out b/c of the baby's heart-rate? Did you end up having to have a hysterectomy or were they able to save your uterus?
I labored at home with my DH and doulas for most of my labor. I went to the hospital and was 5-6 cm, baby's heart rate was good. Hospital policy was intermittent monitoring (20 minutes per hour). Initial 20 minute monitoring looked good and I labored for an hour in the shower and felt the urge to push. I was checked and found to be complete, monitored briefly, and left to push. (The hospital staff was very respectful of my wishes and essentially left me with my DH and doulas to do our thing.) After 20-30 minutes of pushing, I was hooked up for intermittent monitoring again. Baby's heart rate was in the 60s. After her heart rate did not bounce back, I was rushed for an emergency C section.

They were able to save my uterus, and I am currently 6 weeks pregnant. They were able to rescuscitate my baby, but she was born severely hypoxic and we took her off the ventilator when she was 9 days old. And FYI, this was a major teaching hospital with 24 hour anesthesiology and neonatalogy and a level 2 NICU.

One of the reasons I did not have an epidural was so that the pain of a UR would not be masked. I had honestly never heard of painless UR, but it is real and as I said, is not an uncommon experience among women who rupture. I had no pain that I did not consider to be a normal part of labor and had no vaginal bleeding. (I also has a placental abruption along with the UR, which again is not an uncommon experience.)

Anyway, I did not mean to make this thread about me and my experience. But I did want to point out some inaccuracies.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
Old 03-29-2006, 03:56 PM

egoldber... and thanks for sharing your story. I know it's "just one person's" experience, but I actually find individual stories more informative and helpful than a bunch of statistics. Not to say stats don't have their place, but I am always left wondering what exactly went down for those women who DID rupture? We are often led to believe that they all experienced the worst case scanario (death) for themselves or thier babies. And that's simply not true.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:42 PM

My biggest frustration with VBAC moms and the climate of practice in the US (and for what it's worth, in my particular institution it is nowhere near as hostile as it is in many places) is how the current climate of fear surrounding birth in the US influences are decision making.
I wish that every mom could be educated and make her individual decision on her own based on knowing what "facts" we have available. It's so unfortunate that the malpractice climate leads docs to feel they are in an adversarial relationship with their patients who may sue them if everything doesn't go right, so they use language with their patients designed to get them to agree to what is legally safer and defensible in a court of law.
It's also so unfortunate to me that having one intervention usually means buying in to the whole shebang. So even if a client decides they'd like to have some interventions, they often still feel like they have to refuse everything to keep from having everything done.
Of course, even with full knowledge of risks and benefits, individuals will make different choices - as they should. Only an individual can know for herself what they can feel comfortable with.

User Tag List