1st MW visit--VBAC RANT!!!!!!! UPDATE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 64 Old 02-17-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
O.k., I'm a little upset, no a LOT upset. I recently moved and there are very slim pickin's here for MW care. I interviewed a bunch of practices over the phone. Several said that they would not take me based on my history :. Finally, I spoke with a m/w who had her head on straight, was happy for me about my VBAC and told me that we shouldn't have a problem. She did say that some of the docs would not be happy if I chose another VBAC, but that several in the practice would be open. She said that I would have to see an OB at least once during the pregnancy, but that she'd set me up with one who would be fine with the VBAC. She also remarked about how educated I was about VBAC and the fact that I had a vaginal delivery makes me somehow different from someone who hadn't.

Just for clarification: I had 3 sections and my last baby was a VBA3C (hospital birth) in 2003. It was a beautiful birth with no interventions until the very end when I was 10 cm and she was OP. I had a ton of support, from the OB who saw me most of the pregnancy, and the m/w who was there as well as a doula and my close friend. I agreed to an epidural to "power down". Basically, that meant I would have the epidural and they would roll me from side to side till the baby turned. She did and I pushed her right out.

Fast forward to today:
I decided to make my appointment with a different m/w in the practice b/c the other office was closer to my house. So, I go in there and we talk history, I decline a vaginal exam and pap (which she told me I would HAVE to have--ummm last one was less than a year ago, never had any changes before,). She does a breast exam, we talk about diet etc. She then tells me that I cannot be under m/w care for this pregnancy. Naturally I want to know why. She said that the practice won't allow it. So, I tell her what the other m/w said and she told me that she was mistaken and that no doctor in the practice would allow me to be under m/w care.

So, then I decide to ask a few questions about hospital procedures. Figured I may as well get all the stuff up front. She told me that it's MANDATORY to have a hep-lock. I told her that I didn't like the idea, but that I would consider it as long as I could still go in the water with it. She then informed me that there would be no water because I would have to have full-time monitoring. : WHAT?! Why not? I told her that I really didn't think I could agree to that.

Then she went into ACOG "recommendations". She told me that ACOG says that hep-lock and that full-time monitoring are mandatory for a VBACs. I told her that I really did a lot of research prior to my last VBAC and that I didn't recall either of those in the recommendations and anyway, I didn't get either with my last birth and that I spent MOST of my labor in the tub where I was most comfortable. I looked up the recommendations today and only was able to find them from 1995 (maybe they changed?). In any event, it said that a woman with 2 or more c-sections should be allowed a trial of labor should she desire a VBAC and that a VBAC should be carried out only in a hospital setting that has 24 hour anesthesia. I didn't read anything about a hep-lock or full-time monitoring.

This is MY birth, I've already proven I can do it once and I fully intend to give birth vaginally again (barring an EMERGENCY). Full time monitoring is IMO setting me up for another section and that is not acceptable. I know that I can refuse things in the hospital (and often do ), but last time I had my caregivers completely on board with what I wanted for my birth. I need to save my energy for labor and delivery, not arguing with people while I'm in labor.

I can hear some of you thinking in your brains--Yes, I am considering a homebirth, but I'm also considering a hospital birth again. Not under these circumstances.

Sigh, thanks for listening.
stayathomecristi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 64 Old 02-17-2006, 09:32 PM
 
jessjillbolyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coushatta, La.
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to say I am sorry your having a hard time with docs. I just moved to another state and have a lot less midwives out here as well. I hope you find someone that will give you the birth you want!
jessjillbolyer is offline  
#3 of 64 Old 02-17-2006, 09:36 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Sounds awful. It's getting to the point that the only choice for VBAC in many many places is homebirth.

good luck!

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#4 of 64 Old 02-17-2006, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks ladies,

The more I think about this, the more angry I become. WTF??? This is MY body, MY birth and MY baby. I understand that people want to CYA, but is all of this even medically necessary? Full time monitoring will only lead to the OR and not letting a woman sit in a tub during labor is an abomination as far as I'm concerned. Total fear-mongering and it's not acceptable to me.

Homebirth is an option, but I'm not sure that it's going to work either. I may have to go UC because the only homebirth m/w here does VBACs only in the hospital. She is on my list to call on Monday, but I have a feeling she is going to tell me the same thing.

I will do what I have to to protect my birth experience, it's too precious to me. My body was designed to give birth and I've proven I can do it. I wish everyone would just leave me alone.

If they're like this about birth, how are they going to be about all the newborn stuff I plan on declining? I think I know the answer. There is no respect in the medical community for anything other than total compliance :
stayathomecristi is offline  
#5 of 64 Old 02-17-2006, 10:23 PM
 
mamameg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wine Country, CA
Posts: 2,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh. I can relate. The VBAC climate in my area is really poor and the only option I feel comfortable with is homebirth. In fact, my response to all the "you're so brave to have your baby at home" comments is "It would take more courage for me to go to the hospital!"

mamameg is offline  
#6 of 64 Old 02-17-2006, 11:25 PM
 
saritabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it sucks. Im right there with you my friend. Im almost 29 weeks pregnant and just dumbfounded by the crap that has been spewed at me.

Its a hostile environment out there. I truly believe I could make a better case (in the md's eyes) for a nasal delivery of my baby.
saritabeth is offline  
#7 of 64 Old 02-18-2006, 12:13 AM
 
AnditheBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
Full time monitoring will only lead to the OR and not letting a woman sit in a tub during labor is an abomination as far as I'm concerned. Total fear-mongering and it's not acceptable to me.
You know, it seems to me that sitting in the tub probably takes pressure off the uterus and thus likely decreases the chances of a rupture! Plus stuff stretches better when it's warm and underwater, right? Sheesh! You'd think places that allow VBAC would make sure to have those remote monitors that you can wear underwater. You'd THINK. It's all so counterintuitive.

Hugs and luck to you, mama! I'm sure you will find a way to keep your birth the way you know it should be. I originally hired a mw who lives two counties away, so research your options for out-of-town HBAC help as well!
AnditheBee is offline  
#8 of 64 Old 02-18-2006, 12:46 AM
 
eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 2,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The ACOG changed their guidelines in 2004. They are horrible, especially for women who have had more than one cesarean. This article was the first I could find that was even close to what I was looking for.

Have you contacted ICAN? If you have a local chapter, they may be able to provide you with care provider recommendations.
eleven is offline  
#9 of 64 Old 02-18-2006, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saritabeth
it sucks. Im right there with you my friend. Im almost 29 weeks pregnant and just dumbfounded by the crap that has been spewed at me.

Its a hostile environment out there. I truly believe I could make a better case (in the md's eyes) for a nasal delivery of my baby.
LMAOROF!!!!!!! Can't stop laughing--even showed this one to dh
stayathomecristi is offline  
#10 of 64 Old 02-18-2006, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg
Ugh. I can relate. The VBAC climate in my area is really poor and the only option I feel comfortable with is homebirth. In fact, my response to all the "you're so brave to have your baby at home" comments is "It would take more courage for me to go to the hospital!"

Ditto--this is completely ridiculous! Hey, if I stay home I call ALL the shots. I kinda like that.
stayathomecristi is offline  
#11 of 64 Old 02-18-2006, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pease
The ACOG changed their guidelines in 2004. They are horrible, especially for women who have had more than one cesarean. This article was the first I could find that was even close to what I was looking for.

Have you contacted ICAN? If you have a local chapter, they may be able to provide you with care provider recommendations.
Summary of Recommendations

The following recommendations are based on good and consistent scientific evidence (Strength of Recommendation Taxonomy [SORT] = A; see page 1201 for an explanation of SORT):

• Most women with one previous cesarean delivery with a low-transverse incision are candidates for VBAC and should be counseled about VBAC and offered a trial of labor.

Ummm-has anyone here actually been OFFERED a trial of labor????

• Epidural anesthesia may be used for VBAC.

No mention of the fact that epidural can increase the risk of a repeat section, but o.k.

The following recommendations are based on limited or inconsistent scientific evidence (SORT = B):

• Women with a vertical incision within the lower uterine segment that does not extend into the fundus are candidates for VBAC.

I have nothing to add, no experience here.

• The use of prostaglandins for cervical ripening or induction of labor in most women with a previous cesarean delivery should be discouraged.

Agreed--induction and augmentation have been shown to increase the chance of uterine rupture.

The following recommendations are based primarily on consensus and expert opinion (SORT = C):

• Because uterine rupture may be catastrophic, VBAC should be attempted in institutions equipped to respond to emergencies with physicians immediately available to provide emergency care.

In the ideal world I suppose, but IRL we're not willing to risk some renegade doc who is knife happy when he finds out we've had prior section (or 3 ).

• After thorough counseling that weighs the individual benefits and risks of VBAC, the ultimate decision to attempt this procedure or undergo a repeat cesarean delivery should be made by the patient and her physician. This discussion should be documented in the medical record.• Vaginal birth after a previous cesarean delivery is contraindicated in women with a previous classical uterine incision or extensive transfundal uterine surgery.

Discuss? You mean coerce into a repeat section, don't you? You've got to be kidding. Oh, and make sure you note the "discussion" in the medical record. In fact, you should get them to sign a waiver totally absolving the practice of any and all responsibility should something go wrong during the delivery (had one practice insist on this : )

Sorry, couldn't resist. Just summing up some of my personal experiences. I do have the number for ICAN and guess what?! One of the other midwives in the practice (the one I spoke to initially) goes to each meeting. I have a feeling she is "it" for VBAC advocates in our area.
stayathomecristi is offline  
#12 of 64 Old 02-18-2006, 01:35 AM
 
Tummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In her daddys eyes
Posts: 3,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi

Just for clarification: I had 3 sections and my last baby was a VBA3C (hospital birth) in 2003. It was a beautiful birth with no interventions until the very end when I was 10 cm and she was OP. I had a ton of support, from the OB who saw me most of the pregnancy, and the m/w who was there as well as a doula and my close friend. I agreed to an epidural to "power down". Basically, that meant I would have the epidural and they would roll me from side to side till the baby turned. She did and I pushed her right out.



This is MY birth, I've already proven I can do it once and I fully intend to give birth vaginally again (barring an EMERGENCY). Full time monitoring is IMO setting me up for another section and that is not acceptable.

First of all, YOU ROCK!!!

Second of all.. your right, this is YOUR birth!!! You have already proven you can birth vaginally!

Do not let your hopes down in any way... you will find that care provider you need! I wish you the best!
Tummy is offline  
#13 of 64 Old 02-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy
First of all, YOU ROCK!!!

Second of all.. your right, this is YOUR birth!!! You have already proven you can birth vaginally!

Do not let your hopes down in any way... you will find that care provider you need! I wish you the best!
:
pumpkinsmama is offline  
#14 of 64 Old 02-19-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Tummy and Pumpkin--I needed to hear that. The way these m/w's and docs have been talking you'd think that I'm entering into some life-threatening situation that they have to save me from : . They are so completely paranoid and I'm not going to let it rub off on me. I have done my research (I bet they have done next to zero) and I feel confident in my decision to pursue another VBAC.

I have not signed papers on my house in MA and I am seriously considering backing out of the deal in order to get my support system back. It's just taken so long to get an offer on our house that wasn't $40,000 below asking price. I dunno. In all seriousness, I'm very concerned that I will not find someone compatable with me. I also know that I need support at the end of the delivery--I still have stuff to deal with. I'm not 100% sure I can pull this off as a homebirth or U/C, but I am doing some soul-searching about that.

Oh, and another thing--no where in the ACOG recommendations did I see anything remotely stating that a hep-lock and full-time monitoring were necessary. They think they are gods and I hate it b/c they have power over me in some ways.
stayathomecristi is offline  
#15 of 64 Old 02-19-2006, 11:48 PM
 
AnditheBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
Oh, and another thing--no where in the ACOG recommendations did I see anything remotely stating that a hep-lock and full-time monitoring were necessary. They think they are gods and I hate it b/c they have power over me in some ways.
You ought to mail them a copy marked "FYI: You obviously need these."
AnditheBee is offline  
#16 of 64 Old 02-20-2006, 02:45 AM
 
AngelaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Des Moines Iowa
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a vbac in a hospital and spent about 4 hours in the tub before i started pushing and the doll of a nurse put a monitor in the water to my tummy and most of the time i didnt even know she was doing it. She just sat there and held it in the water. She was very quite and calm and sweet. She picked up on all the cues from me and dh and let us be.
This was at a large hospital and I didnt have to have anything strapped to me. She followed my request to only be monitored twice an hour for as little time as possible.
I did the heplock, but I had it done in my forearm and was able to have it in the tub. My water had broken before I got to the hospital as well and I was able to stay in the tub until I started pushing and then the nurse encouraged me to be in any postion I wante. I seem to remember they put the heplock in while I was in the tub.

She kept everyone out unless it was a nurse setting up the room for baby procedures but I wasnt even aware that they were there.

The hospital has changed their policies since then and i will be going to a birth center with midwives and a md that works there as well.
It all can be done you just have to fight this rediculous fight. I would home birth if I could find a home birth midwife that did vbacs.
Angela
AngelaB is offline  
#17 of 64 Old 02-20-2006, 03:00 AM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
. They think they are gods and I hate it b/c they have power over me in some ways.

First of all, **hugs**

I know this is easy for someone not in a difficult situation to say, but as i grow and **hopefully**, become wiser, LOL, I am really starting to believe more and more what i am about to tell you

They have only the power YOU CHOOSE to GIVE them.

That's it.

Best wishes.

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
#18 of 64 Old 02-20-2006, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiB
You ought to mail them a copy marked "FYI: You obviously need these."



Yes, I should. Maybe I'll just bring one to my next appointment if I keep it!
stayathomecristi is offline  
#19 of 64 Old 02-20-2006, 12:51 PM
 
jessjillbolyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coushatta, La.
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you looked in other places that aren't to far of a drive like 2 hours out? I ask cause I am in La and we are real close to the Texas boarder. OR do you have realtives in another area where you could do a homebirth? I figured at the least if I can do a VBAC anywhere here I will stay in Texas my last month with family have my homebirth there. Just a thought.

I hope you can find something that is what your looking for!!
jessjillbolyer is offline  
#20 of 64 Old 02-20-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AngelaB--My last experience was similar to yours. I had free rein to do whatever I wanted and my caregivers were on board with it. Once they got a baseline strip (I think 15 mins and I was on the birthing peanut during that time), I spent most of my time in the tub. I even pushed in the tub (technically water birth is against hospital policy,but both my m/w and my OB just looked the other way). No one pushed for me to have any interventions at all, they just let me labor in peace. They all understood exactly what I wanted and needed and there was no energy expended on declining procedures and interventions (until after the babe was born and I refused the eye goop and Vitamin K, but that's another issue). We created a safe place for me to give birth, no one was there who wasn't invited and it was wonderful. Naturally, I want a repeat--it was a great birth. I even had a sign on the door that said, "VBA3C in progress, enter only with a positive attitude. No men allowed."

I moved to Central VA a couple of months ago and nothing has been easy. I've interviewed several practices over the phone and they dismissed me without even seeing me. The one that I'm with now is obviously giving me a hard time about everything I want. I talked with dh about moving back to MA and he's seriously considering it based on a bunch of things.

We'll see...
stayathomecristi is offline  
#21 of 64 Old 02-20-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
They have only the power YOU CHOOSE to GIVE them.

That's it.

Best wishes.
Thanks for the hugs. I know you are right--to a point. I have refused plenty of medical advice and procedures in my short life, but I also know that stuff happens sometimes. Just ask the moms on this board who have been wheeled into the OR for no good reason and without permission, told they didn't have a choice about a c-section.

Talk to the ones who refused certain things (like vaccinations for their newborns) and their wishes were not respected. Some of those kids were given shots secretly, intentionally going against the parents wishes. Some parents have been forced by coercion or by court order to allow certain procedures for their children.

I had one close call when I showed up in labor with dc #3. We had scheduled a section for Monday and I went into labor on Friday. Even though I was in decent labor, they wouldn't "let" me continue. I finally agreed to the section b/c of the scare tactics that were presented to me, but as I was being wheeled down to the OR, then doctor shoved a paper in front of me to sign. Thankfully I had the wherewithall to ask what it was because it was a consent form for a tubal ligation. He figured while he was in there he would just "take care of that for me". Had I not asked, I wouldn't be having this baby right now.

So, you can see that my fears are real. Yes, technically I can refuse anything at all, but you just never know when a doctor god is going to push the envelope.

The other thing that is disturbing about my m/w visit is that she told me that a lot just depends on which doctor is on at the time. These are things I need ironed out ahead of time. I need to know that I'm not going to get an argument about the tub. I want in my file that there is an understanding about that. I need to know that I'm going to have a safe place without people nagging me constantly about this or that. Seems like she wants to leave it to chance.

Anyway, it will work out one way or another. I've been talking with dh about possible h/b. He's scared to death! But, that's another post!
stayathomecristi is offline  
#22 of 64 Old 02-20-2006, 01:13 PM
 
aprilushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where exactly are you in Central VA? It is true you may have trouble finding CNMs to attend an HBAC but there are plenty of CPMs in VA who can do it. I know of one in Gainsville (that might still be far from you) and I think there's a few in Richmond. PM me your exact location and I may be able to ask my mw to give you some names to try. I'm planning an HBAC in northern VA with a soon to be CPM and we have had a lot of successful HBACs with CPMs or DEMs working to be CPMs here. Unfortunately here CNMs are pretty limited (but the Virginia Friends of Midwives is trying to work on that with new legislation) in what they can do b/c of legal requirement of doctor collaboration.
aprilushka is offline  
#23 of 64 Old 02-20-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
April--I'm even having trouble finding m/w's for a hospital birth! One practice is going down from 4 m/w's to 1 m/w. The docs at the hospital near me dumped their 2 midwives last summer, so there are none now that practice there. The practice I am now with has 4 m/w's but now I've been told that b/c of my history that I cannot be under their care.

I'm very frustrated right now.
stayathomecristi is offline  
#24 of 64 Old 02-20-2006, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oops, didn't finish reading your thread .

I'm in Midlothian at the moment.
stayathomecristi is offline  
#25 of 64 Old 02-21-2006, 11:13 AM
 
aprilushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Then Richmond mws should be able to serve you. Yes, the CNMs in hospitals have had a hard time there recently-- there was a practice shut down last year by their OB so called partners with the excuse not enough demand.

Actually HBAC with a cpm at the present time is probably more feasible than most other routes. However, they are still underground a bit until licensing goes into full effect. I will ask my mw who is serving HBAC in Richmond. Can't help you on the hospital side I'm afraid.
aprilushka is offline  
#26 of 64 Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
 
veganf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 7,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
I have not signed papers on my house in MA and I am seriously considering backing out of the deal in order to get my support system back.
Is there a way you could come back to MA and stay with friends or something just around the time of the birth?

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
veganf is offline  
#27 of 64 Old 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Krista--my husband and I are seriously considering MOVING back to MA--especially because of this. Our house is under contract and I'm trying to find a way to get out of it. Will be calling a real estate attorney later today.

Drastic times require drastic measures. What is happening here is simply unacceptable. I'm glad I have the option of moving back, many moms here do not. I wish I could stick around and help to change the climate down here. It's truly hostile. I called another practice yesterday and the m/w told me point-blank that this is the way it is. If I show up at the hospital they WILL give me an hep-lock and they WILL put me on full-time monitoring and they WILL NOT allow labor in the tub. I told her that I was now considering an unassisted birth and that I thought it was really sad that I was left no options besides that. She just said, "Good luck".

Even if we do not move back, I am seriously considering staying with friends or more likely at a hotel (don't forget I have 4 other kiddos and that's a lot when you're visiting for an extended time). I would go back about 2 weeks prior to my due date and stay as long as necessary.

sigh
stayathomecristi is offline  
#28 of 64 Old 02-22-2006, 03:23 AM
 
bobandjess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
Thanks for the hugs. I know you are right--to a point. I have refused plenty of medical advice and procedures in my short life, but I also know that stuff happens sometimes. Just ask the moms on this board who have been wheeled into the OR for no good reason and without permission, told they didn't have a choice about a c-section.

Talk to the ones who refused certain things (like vaccinations for their newborns) and their wishes were not respected. Some of those kids were given shots secretly, intentionally going against the parents wishes. Some parents have been forced by coercion or by court order to allow certain procedures for their children.

I had one close call when I showed up in labor with dc #3. We had scheduled a section for Monday and I went into labor on Friday. Even though I was in decent labor, they wouldn't "let" me continue. I finally agreed to the section b/c of the scare tactics that were presented to me, but as I was being wheeled down to the OR, then doctor shoved a paper in front of me to sign. Thankfully I had the wherewithall to ask what it was because it was a consent form for a tubal ligation. He figured while he was in there he would just "take care of that for me". Had I not asked, I wouldn't be having this baby right now.

So, you can see that my fears are real. Yes, technically I can refuse anything at all, but you just never know when a doctor god is going to push the envelope.

The other thing that is disturbing about my m/w visit is that she told me that a lot just depends on which doctor is on at the time. These are things I need ironed out ahead of time. I need to know that I'm not going to get an argument about the tub. I want in my file that there is an understanding about that. I need to know that I'm going to have a safe place without people nagging me constantly about this or that. Seems like she wants to leave it to chance.

Anyway, it will work out one way or another. I've been talking with dh about possible h/b. He's scared to death! But, that's another post!
I totally agree with you! I KNOW that things can and often DO get "forced" on women, coercion, browbeating, threats, etc...

I would be SCARED POOPLESS to go into a hospital to have a baby...not really because of the "things" i.e. procedures, etc, because i know they would very likely NOT become an issue........but because of the horrible POWERLESS feeling..the thought that somehow, things might get to a pointt where someone might take/do/perform something to me/my baby without my consent/by court order/just as a matter of routine, etc.....The POWERLESS feeling, for me, is about the worst thing i can imagine..just thinking about it nearly makes me vomit.

BUT, CHOOSING to even go to a hospital/hire a doctor or midwife/go to a birth center/hire a homebirth midwife IS a choice!! IF you stayed at home by yourself, in your own house, no doctors/nurses/midwives would have any control over you. Now, I'm not saying you should do that...not by a long shot..I'm just saying that it is **technically** a choice....perhaps not the best choice, perhaps not even a good choice, perhaps a totally horrible choice, but it IS an option......Basically, you are in a position where you are being forced to give up your power in order to receive care you feel is necesary, and I think that is TRULY abominable. You SHOULD be able to get the care YOU CHOOSE, where you chooose, by the type of provider you choose. It is outrageous that ANY professional believes they can tell someone how/when where they are going to PROVIDE a service for them...I mean really, if you told a plumber your toilet was clogged and you wanted it snaked, and he told you he doesn't believe in snaking, he only replaces toilets and so thats what he's gonna do...would you hire him? would you PAY him to do something you don't want, and to be rude to you while he was at it? HECK NO!! Ir just kills me the way medical "professionals" treat women on this country....and for the most part, people just go along with it!!!!!

Sorry, this has turned into my little rant here......

I do hope you find someone...even if it means moving...it is wrong you do not have the options you want available to you....heck, major kudos to you for even having a VBA3C!!!!!!!!!!!

And we won't even go into the tubal consent thing.....my rant on "informed consent" could take up pages.....here, they do not allow ANY VBACS at all....and REQUIRE a tubal form at your 3rd CS..I'm a social worker with pregnant women/new parents, and have literally had women SOBBING to me about how they had dreamed of a large family, but had to get a tubal, becauSe of the (MOSTLY BOGUS) C/S they were forced into...it is HEARTBRAKING....and yes, they really do "bully" women into thinking that they HAVE to sign it...so the women do!! ..but i will say that i am SO HAPPY you were able to have your wits about you to refuse such a thing!

Perhaps you could arrange a few week vacation at my house around your due date...my midwife does home VBACS!!

Jess

CPST
bobandjess99 is offline  
#29 of 64 Old 02-22-2006, 04:25 AM
 
cathicog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Great Smoky Mountains TN
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
O.k., I'm a little upset, no a LOT upset. I recently moved and there are very slim pickin's here for MW care. I interviewed a bunch of practices over the phone. Several said that they would not take me based on my history :. Finally, I spoke with a m/w who had her head on straight, was happy for me about my VBAC and told me that we shouldn't have a problem. She did say that some of the docs would not be happy if I chose another VBAC, but that several in the practice would be open. She said that I would have to see an OB at least once during the pregnancy, but that she'd set me up with one who would be fine with the VBAC. She also remarked about how educated I was about VBAC and the fact that I had a vaginal delivery makes me somehow different from someone who hadn't.

Just for clarification: I had 3 sections and my last baby was a VBA3C (hospital birth) in 2003. It was a beautiful birth with no interventions until the very end when I was 10 cm and she was OP. I had a ton of support, from the OB who saw me most of the pregnancy, and the m/w who was there as well as a doula and my close friend. I agreed to an epidural to "power down". Basically, that meant I would have the epidural and they would roll me from side to side till the baby turned. She did and I pushed her right out.
Welcome to VBAC in Virginia if you want to birth in the hospital. It isn't ACOG I think that sets those protocols, it is the Virginia Medical Society...has nothing to do with ACOG protocols. The docs pretty much do what they want. PM me,cuz I found a homebirth mw you might be interested in. I just had a neighbor who did a UC because she had 3 VBACs and they were talking surgery by the time she was 4 months. We gave them lots of info and videos, and they had a fine 8 lber at home after a 2 hr labor!
cathicog is offline  
#30 of 64 Old 02-22-2006, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
stayathomecristi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central VA
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bobandjess--you captured exactly what I've been feeling. POWERLESS!

I absolutely hear what you are saying about homebirth being an option. Homebirth is definitely on the table and I am looking into it--even if I do move back to MA. Heck, I didn't show up to the hospital till 5 cm last time and was laboring just fine at home. What's the point in showing up at 10cm? So someone else can take credit (and my money) for catching a baby that I can catch? Truth be told--I just wanted the jacuzzi tub

You got my point completely though--women shouldn't be FORCED into having a homebirth. If they feel more comfortable in a hospital setting, so be it. They should have that option. Last time it was a bit of a comfort to me that I had the OR available should I need it. This time I feel much more confident in my ability to birth. Of course, I had a lot of confidence last time. Who would ever insist on a VBA3C that didn't?

The way women are treated regarding this issue is inconceivable. The medical profession down here (and I'm reading elsewhere) should be ashamed of themselves. Instead of working with women like me, they are choosing to be divisive. There is a grassroots movement toward homebirth and I believe that it's only going to get stronger because these docs are so full of themselves. That, and their insurance companies are paranoid about lawsuits. Instead of doing what is right for each patient (and that may be a repeat section) and looking at it individually, they are putting us all into a cookie cutter. I, for one don't appreciate it and if I stay geographically here I hope to be able to be part of the solution to the problem.

This is a real injustice!

Cathi--Can you e-mail her to me? My MDC in-box is full. Thanks!
stayathomecristi is offline  
Reply

User Tag List



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off