shoulder dystocia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-27-2006, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning a VBAC in July. DD3 was a c/s because DD2 had problems with shoulder dystocia during VB & my OB was worried about another large baby having the same problems. I switched over to a midwife who is very supportive of VBAC, but I am concerned about shoulder dystocia. Has anyone else had any experience with shoulder dystocia? What are the chances it will happen again & what can I do to prevent it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-27-2006, 10:40 PM

Can I ask about DD2's dystocia? What positions were you in? Were you moving instinctively? Most cases of dystocia are not really dystocia, they're doctor dystocia caused by birthing in a way convenient to the Ob not good for you. Genuine dystocia can be helped by changing positions whether from side to side, squatting to standing, hands and knees to something else... You get the idea, I'm sure
#3 of 6 Old 02-28-2006, 04:58 PM

definately get off your back when pushing!

lol @ dr dystocia - sad, but true...
#4 of 6 Old 03-01-2006, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I have no doubt that positioning was a big part of it, but I had an epidural & could not feel a thing, let alone move. The nurses had to do all the work & eventually got the baby out. This time I am going to try & go without pain medication for that reason alone, but I am not very good at dealing with pain so I wanted to find out more about maybe preventing dystocia from happening again just in case I caved & requested the epidural.
#5 of 6 Old 03-01-2006, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You may want to search the forums at http://www.ubpn.org for all kinds of information about shoulder dystocia. These people had babies with the birth injury that commonly occurs from problems about shoulder dystocia, so they are experts. I would have thought they would suggest cesareans for everyone, but their responses are significantly more thoughtful.

I do have one friend who had a first baby with shoulder dystocia, but after a lot of difficulty, her skilled midwife managed to get the baby out safely. She moved to another state, and had another midwife. During the second pregancy, she had dreams about having a cesarean, but she was committed to natural birth so she stayed with the new midwife.

Sadly, this baby did have shoulder dystocia and was not able to extricate the baby without serious injury.

That's how I know about the ubpn.org. So -- in her case, she was having dreams about it and things -- maybe it was a coincidence, but maybe she had an intuitive knowing on some level.

I guess my point is to listen to your own body's intuition and try to get a feel that way. I know it's not very scientific, but maybe you can get a sense for yourself. You can also find all kinds of information on the subject on those forums, including plenty of posts from women who had babies with birth injuries from shoulder dystocia the first time but elect to have natural childbirth the second time.
#6 of 6 Old 10-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Hi everyone, I know i'm a male but this questions is about my daughter and her child and maybe more lady's out there that had this happen to them before. My daughter had a baby boy in April 06 and was a little over 8 lbs and her doctor told her that he didn't want her to have her child untill about 5 days later cause it wasn't time. he left out of town for a meeting that day and the next morning on the 11th she had to go to the ER cause of pains and she has been having pains for over two months and this woman OBGY doctor there said you will have your baby today and she never looked at her chart to see what her reg doctor said at all and after she was in her room they gave her an IV and they put a shot in it to induce her labor and my wife and my daughters friend was in the room and then she started having the baby and the doctor said, o no and then my wife told me my daughter ask her was anything wrong and she replyed no, everything is ok. After she got out of the hospital she kelp noticing the baby would cry everytime she would pick him up just like he did in the hospital and she took him to the ER over a months time about 15 times and they said everything looks find and one day in June we were watching the baby while she went babck to work and the baby was so cranky and would not take his bottle so my wife and other daughter took him to the hospital and they took an x-ray just for crying and then they brung him back into the room and said everything showed find, after they started walking out the door this nurse called out to them and said they needed to take another x-ray of the baby so they did and left. After they got home the other doctor that see's baby's here called and said bring the baby to his office so they did and then the next thing they knew the police and two DCS workers showed up and said the baby has been abused cause of bruses on his ribs and they were fractured and his collorbone also. The next day after i took her to the police department to talk with them they said it was abuse and for my daughter to go and get the baby's records and we did and that's when i got to looking at the records and it said the baby had a shoulder dystocia delivery and i looked it up and found that this would cause the same thing that would look like abuse. We have been in court five times already since June and everytime we go it's all the same, abuse and the judge knows of the deleivery problem but the DCS say's abuse all the time and my daughters lawyer will not show the proof we have cause he said it would hurt her case and she would never get her baby back at all and the dcs lawyer sent off the records to nashville for this other doctor to see and nothing came back with shoulder dystocia on any papers. the problem is that we see is that the DCS is hiding the papers that shows shoulder dystocia on them cause he doesn't want a lawsuit filed on this woman doctor here and on them for taking the child away after knowing it was shoulder dystocia instead of abuse. Have any women every had this kind of problems with the DCS in your town? i would love to hear from you so i can show my daughter this cause i'm trying to help her out as much as i can. if you know of any links also on this that shows that shoulder dystocia will cause fractured or broken ribs and brusing and a broken arm, PLEASE send a link to me so i may copy them and try and get this in court. Thanks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page