How to have a successful VBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-24-2003, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to get a list started on what helped you in achieving a successful VBAC or what things you are planning on doing to achieve a successful VBAC.

I'm planning a VBAC for June and want to do everything I can to make it a success.

So far here is what I've got:

- Getting my body in shape by doing prenatal yoga
- Having a midwfie who is very pro-VBAC and treats a VBAC like any other vaginal birth
- Hiring a doula (haven't done it yet, but I'm planning on it )

Okay so please add to my list!
#2 of 14 Old 02-24-2003, 09:13 PM

i'm going for a vbac after 2 emergency c's. i'm 37 , will be 38 when baby comes.

i'll add to your list:

Reading Birthing from Within over and over and over again! lol

Visualizing, Relaxation and Meditation (i'm listening to some hypnobirthing tapes)

i can't afford a doula, so i'm doing so "training" with my husband and 13 year old daughter on waht i'll need from them

looking forward to reading more responses!
#3 of 14 Old 02-25-2003, 11:51 PM

My son needs to get to bed, so I'll make this quick...

I hired a doula who focuses on optimal fetal positioning. This means getting baby into good position for birth, long before you ever go into labor. There are exercises, as well as spending lots of time on the birth ball, not sitting in recliners and changing your position if you have to sit in bucket seats in the car. I slouched and tilted my pelvis the wrong way through my entire last pregnancy every time I sat down. So this time I'm doing the work. I also squat whenever I need to pick up something up, or just for the heck of it.

I work on visualizing a good birth.

I clutch 'Silent Knife' to my bosom

I'm also going to stay home until a head is coming out(dh won't go for a homebirth).

I pray.
#4 of 14 Old 02-26-2003, 12:16 AM

Some of these may be redundant with what others have posted...

1. Find a care provider that fully believes in a woman's ability to birth the baby she grows. Find out what precentage of VBAC were successful under their care. Choose very carefully. May attention to any red flags: "baby is too big, won't 'let' you go post dates, etc."

****talk to women who have VBACed with the care provider in question!****

2. Hire a doula-do not think you or dh can replace a doula

3. Plan a homebirth- or at least labor at home for as long as possible.

4. Work through your fears ahead of time

5. Educate yourself. Read up.

6. Read Optimal Foetal Positioning. Pay strict attention to posture, and the baby's position.

7. Negotiate with your care provider upfront. Ie. agree on no CMF, no saline lock, freedom to move, no augmentation, freedom to oat and drink.

8. Avoid interventions, including induction!

HTH
jaya
#5 of 14 Old 02-26-2003, 12:42 PM

In the end, what was MOST important to me turned out to be the caregiver I chose, because in hindsight I REALLY REALLY don't think an OB would have had the patience for my labor (which was 3 days long, involved 2 hospital admissions, and a baby in distress at the end that was STILL delivered by VBAC). However, I DID make my needs/wishes known to my midwives and reinforced them (sometimes even being pushy about it) at every visit toward the end (I think they probably rolled their eyes when I left each visit LOL). I developed gestational diabetes, and then high BP at the end, and my midwife, altho vigilant and slightly paranoid about baby size, my BP, my diet etc never considered sending me out to OB care and in the end was the most patient, understanding, compassionate and skilled caregiver I could have asked for. (see my post on my VBAC several threads below).

I also took Bradley classes with the intent of going completely non-medicated, not so much out of desire to be granola (altho that was a huge part of it) - but because I felt that my BEST shot at a VBAC was being completely non-medicated, especially in a hospital setting.

I agree SO MUCh with hiring a doula. Not just having her there, but knowing that she WOULD be there and advocate for me, help to release MUCH of the tension and agony I had in the early months of pregnancy worrying about whether or not I would be "allowed" to freely VBAC by my caregivers, or if it was just a show. The burden of having to fight my way through the VBAC was relieved somewhat knowing I had a strong advocate. My doula was a very crunchy, homebirthing doula who is an herbalist and aspiring midwife. I did not wind up using her for the actual birth, which was 3 days later because things moved so quickly at the end but she did labor the first 24 hours with me which saved my sanity and she did go to the hospital with me during my *first* transition LOL when we THOUGHT I was gonna have the baby the first time LOL but then I was in phone contact with her the rest of my labor. I didn't feel the need for her in the hospital for the 2nd admission because (if you read my birth story you will understand) at that point I was NOT going the non-medicated route and DH was enough support for that. I will also say that by the end of my labor I was completely UNABLE to make any decision on my own and couldn't even think straight enough to go pee without prompting so thinking that you WON'T need somebody really may be unrealistic because DH wouldn't have been enough to get me through those first 24 hours. He was exhausted, and he was losing his ability to cope and comfort me. She was a godsend in intervening and helpign with comfort measures (and letting DH rest). Dh was very emotionally stressed by the whole labor it was more intense then he thoguht it would be. And he is VERy strong and very supportive.

I read all the alternative books, Spiritual Midwifery, Silent Knife, Suzanne ARms books' etc etc, thinking Womans' Guide, etc which really helped to place me in an alternative mindset.

I went to a hospital, thank god, that is still accepting of natural birth choices and allows VBAC without blinking. I was allowed to labor unmonitored and without even a saline lock in place, with no arguement and encouragement from the staff.

I followed the Brewer diet, and then later the brewer diet modified to a very low carb diet due to the GD> I felt great until the end.

Baby crying, need to nurse, good luck.
#6 of 14 Old 02-27-2003, 08:39 PM

soemthing that was very important to me with my VBAC was talking, talking, talking, talking about my first birth and the fears and insecurities deep rooted within me. I had to uncover a lot of emotional dirt to prepare myself mentally for going into labor.
#7 of 14 Old 03-02-2003, 05:21 PM

Don't "try for" a VBAC. "Plan" one.

#8 of 14 Old 03-04-2003, 02:07 PM

For me it was:

1. Never waivering in my faith that I could have a natural birth.
2. Giving birth at home.
3. Surounding myself with people who were supportive.
4. Midwifery care.
5. Reading like crazy.

I think #1 was the major key for me, I never let the 'What if's' enter my mind I simply believed with all my heart that this birth was going to be different.

Peace
#9 of 14 Old 03-06-2003, 01:25 PM

As others have said talking to everyone and anyone who is willing to listen, I talked about my fears, my concerns, my excitement to everyone who was within 10 feet of me...
I think that what helped most for me was just "knowing" that I was going to have my baby vaginally. I thought about all the positive things about my first labor (w/ the same midwife I had for VBAC) and focused on what was going to be good about the second one. In the end both labors were comepletely different, and it took the birth of my son for me to come to peace with my c-section...
ask your midwife if she has any former VBAC moms who would be willing to talk to you too.
and good luck! Oh and as someone else already mentioned, stay away from medication!
#10 of 14 Old 03-06-2003, 04:28 PM

Mamaste!

I was scared, scared, scared with my VBAC...until I started forcing myself into the notion that not only *could* I do it - I *WOULD* do it!

Buy some birth jewelry, if you can - some sort of talisman or blessingway necklace or a t-shirt from ICAN or an advocacy group. Believe in yourself. From the heart and from the soul - you are strong and can do this!!!

DEFINITELY keep your blood pressure under control. I also followed the Brewer diet in order to keep my bp at a regular rate - it was lower during my pregnancy than it had ever been in my entire life!!!! Taking good care of yourself and your baby through pregnancy is a good way to ensure no problems arise in the end that will lead to a cesarean.
#11 of 14 Old 03-18-2003, 03:41 PM

does anyone know how to get the optimal fetal positioning book?
#12 of 14 Old 03-18-2003, 03:51 PM

#13 of 14 Old 03-18-2003, 03:51 PM

#14 of 14 Old 03-18-2003, 09:49 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page