BIG BABY LIKELY, OB having doubts.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 06-09-2006, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cheryl - I just want to encourage you! I have been there. My DS was born at 42.5 weeks after an induction that turned into a c/s for FTP for malpositioning after a 30 hour labor and 3 hours of pushing. I firmly believe that if I had given by body more time to go into labor naturally, the chance of having a c/s would have been dramatically reduced. Although my DS was perfect in all of the non-stress and biophysical profile tests, I was scared into the induction because "he is currently over 9 lbs and growing" and "the risk of stillbirth is very high after 42 weeks." My DS was born weighing 7 lbs 5 oz with only a 25th percentile head. So much for my "big baby"

As long as you and your baby are progressing well, please continue with your patience. You can do this!!!

Heather, Mommy to Matthew 9/7/05 and Eli : 2/11/09
Birth Doula, Yarn Dyer and Knitter
#32 of 39 Old 06-10-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather_c
As long as you and your baby are progressing well, please continue with your patience. You can do this!!!
Thanks so much again for the encouragement ... it's exactly what I need.

Almost 5pm on Saturday and I "regret" to say that I am NOT in labor today.

:-(

No contractions for days, at least none that I can discern. 'Course, I've never had a baby before, so how the hell would I even know what a contraction really felt like??? LOL.

Sometimes, I feel like I've actually talked myself OUT of going into labor b/c I so do NOT feel safe about birthing in a hospital environment (especially one that has over 600 births each month) and because I do not think that my OB, the labor/delivery nurses, or the modern medical model in general BELIEVES in my ability to birth this baby w/o interventions.

Clearly, my OB doesn't believe I'm capable or he wouldn't go on and on about induction or scheduling C-Sections when I'm only a week late (and the baby is showing NO signs of distress).

Sigh.

Mostly I'm just stir crazy and struggling w/ my feelings today.

All I can hope/pray for is that my OB won't be the one who is on-call when I do go into labor. I'd rather that it be someone who DOES believe in a woman's ability to birth a ten pound baby vaginally without drugs or intervention to catch her instead. And that's assuming she is even as big as they say, b/c as many of you have well pointed out - ultrasound is NOT an accurate measure of a baby's size.

So, another Saturday comes and goes. I've actually had a nice week. Got my brakes replaced on the car as well as a full tune up, oil change, etc. which really needed to be done. Got my hair cut/colored yesterday, my toes and fingernails painted, my grocery shopping done, etc. Had a long chit chat w/ my baby's father last night. Saw my pal for breakfast this morning, going to meet my friend for coffee and a movie this evening at 7pm. Tomorrow I'm going up to my doula's house to watch videos of natural childbirth and just hang out, chill, etc. Monday at 9:15am I have another non-stress test scheduled at the hospital.

And best of all, I do NOT have a doctor's appointment scheduled anytime soon. Just cruising along at a steady, albeit unsure, pace.Trying to have faith that my daughter and I will be okay, no matter what.

That's it for now y'all.

Cheryl ~
#33 of 39 Old 06-11-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Almost 5pm on Saturday and I "regret" to say that I am NOT in labor today.
I remember that feeling. I regret that the way things were in my life at the time I couldn't enjoy it more. Just remember that baby's do come, even if it seems like they won't. I've yet to hear of a 40 yr old that's still in his momma's womb - even if some might actually act that way!

Quote:
No contractions for days, at least none that I can discern. 'Course, I've never had a baby before, so how the hell would I even know what a contraction really felt like??? LOL.
Don't worry about this. I never went into labor for ds due to my c/s situation, but from what a number of VBAC mommas have told me - you'll KNOW and there will be no mistaking them for something else.

Quote:
So, another Saturday comes and goes. I've actually had a nice week. Got my brakes replaced on the car as well as a full tune up, oil change, etc. which really needed to be done. Got my hair cut/colored yesterday, my toes and fingernails painted, my grocery shopping done, etc. Had a long chit chat w/ my baby's father last night. Saw my pal for breakfast this morning, going to meet my friend for coffee and a movie this evening at 7pm. Tomorrow I'm going up to my doula's house to watch videos of natural childbirth and just hang out, chill, etc.
BRAVO! It's important to take time to pamper yourself! Be sure to take lots of opportunites like that while you wait to meet your little one. Try to put all of the pressures and worries being forced upon you as far out of your mind as you can. Maybe you can pick a special craft to do - now's a great time to do something like a belly cast, write some of your pregnancy journey thoughts and wishes in a baby book, etc. Take a LONG shower or a warm bath and enjoy the peace and quiet! You deserve it!

Keep us posted if you'd like, but mostly enjoy these moments and savor each one - it just goes by all too fast!
#34 of 39 Old 06-12-2006, 05:31 PM

I just wanted to say "bravo" to you! My 3rd came along at 41weeks 6 days and 22 hours! Granted I did get things moving with a little help from Castor Oil with the OK from my mw. ( I took 1 Tablespoon in a smoothie -with no "ill" side effects) I don't remember if you had mentioned it or not but are you dialeated at all? effaced? station?

Hugs to you!

OH! And one thing I did that REALLY helped - I left a message on my answering machinhg saying the usual "you've reached ......" followed by a disclaimer stating that I was grateful for all who were concerened about me and that I promise, that as soon as there is news to share, we will share it! (I was getting really, really tired of every single message asking me if I was in labor yet....
#35 of 39 Old 06-13-2006, 04:22 PM

Latest and greatest...

So I’ve made some concessions and compromises along the way, but over all, this has been a really easy pregnancy which I’ve really enjoyed experiencing, thanks in large part to my doula, the reading I’ve done (Birthing From Within, Adventures in Natural Childbirth, The Baby Catcher, Official Lamaze, Ina May’s Guide, Spiritual Midwifery, Immaculate Deception, etc.) and the women I’ve relied on to keep my focus positive (like YOU guys), etc.

In hindsight, I really wish I hadn’t caved to the "pressure" and had gone w/ the home birth I’d always dreamed of, especially since this is my first pregnancy – and may well remain so given my age and single status (the baby’s father lives in another state).

So, of course, we hit the 40 week mark and he has been really pressuring me to induce labor (fear of a big baby, PIH, GD, etc.) ever since.

I’m scheduled for induction this evening at midnight, but I REALLY want to cancel it b/c I feel like I AM making progress and I’d sure like to at least wait until Thursday or Friday before I allow any "panic" to set in. That was my original deadline anyway ... I always figured if I got to that point, I'd be willing to at least entertain the idea of induction, etc.

Mostly, I’m still feeling strong, confident and quite sure that given a few more days, my baby and I can do this without drugs or unnecessary medical interventions.

I have been having contractions, albeit mild ones, for 3 days now. Have had two non-stress tests (6/8 and 6/12), both showed good levels of amniotic fluid, a strong heartbeat for the baby, good movement, though slightly elevated blood pressure for me (but it went down after the second reading), etc.

Had a cervical exam last week that showed no dilation but 80-90% effacement, and another exam yesterday that showed over 90% effaced, but only ½ cm dilation. She is still "floating" at about a -3 station.

Contractions showed during the non-stress test yesterday morning as well as on the Doppler yesterday afternoon when the nurse was checking for the baby’s heartbeat at my OB appointment.

I assured my doctor yesterday that if there was anything wrong w/ the baby at all I would absolutely let him intervene as much as he needed to, up to and including induction, C-Section, etc. But in the meantime, if baby and I are doing okay and labor is progressing, what are the risks of waiting another day or two? He had a million different reasons, but most had to do w/ his being on call (or not) and her being huge, and so on.

I'm dreading making the call this afternoon to cancel the induction for tonight. But I want to let my body transition naturally at it's own pace, not an abnormally accelerated pace induced by Pitocin which will certainly lead to more interventions - especially if I'm only 1 cm dilated.

Just needed to say this stuff out loud, in a place that feels "safe" and where I'll at least be partially understood. LOL.

Sigh.

Planning on staying upright and moving as much as possible from now till Friday, it seems to keep the contractions steady when I do that. And that's gonna have to be "good enough" for now.

Cheers,

Cheryl~
#36 of 39 Old 06-17-2006, 02:59 AM

Cheryl:

From your post it sounds like you might be experiencing some prodromal labor. That can certainly be frustrating, but it does mean that your body is doing something! I'm wondering how things are going now and if the induction went as scheduled? Or perhaps you are already holding your precious little one already?

If not, remember that dilation prior to labor is not an accurate predictor of when you will go into labor. It's just that - dilation prior to labor.

I'm sorry to hear about all the pressure - I would agree that I don't see why his concerns about being on call would have any bearing on why you should consent to the induction. His schedule is really none of your concern. Even if you end up with a different doc it might be a good thing!

Anyway...update as you feel appropriate - certainly enjoy that little one if they've already made their apearance!
#37 of 39 Old 06-17-2006, 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=jen6]Does anyone have experience having birthed a big baby (9 lbs.+) with a VBAC?QUOTE]

My VBAC babies were not that big, but I just wanted to mention that weight is not necessarily a concern. My first baby was a vaginal birth and his head was 14.5 inches and chest was 13.25 inches. My next baby was a c-section for fetal distress. He weighed 11 lbs, 1 oz but his head was not molded at all and was still only 15 inches. A big baby's head can still mold and slide out. Plus, the longer the baby is, the more that weight is spread out over their bodies. I don't think you should be concerned!

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#38 of 39 Old 06-17-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofanna,isaac
I tried a vbac and my baby died. He was only 8lbs 15oz but his shoulders got stuck. Make sure you look and all the possibilities of things that can go wrong. an u/s can be done to check the size of your pelvis and your baby. This wasn't done for me. my story is on here under "my son shouldn't have died" i'm not trying to scare you, but I wish someone would have warned me. Losing my baby 5 hours after he was born is the worst thing i have ever faced- don't let it happen to you.
i'm so sorry for your loss mama

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#39 of 39 Old 06-19-2006, 11:51 PM

mommyofanna,issac I couln't be sorrier for your loss.

my step-sis is a tiny gal, 5'3" maybe on a tiny frame. DS1 was a c-sect he was breach. 7lbs 11 oz
DS2 was a HBAC 9lbs 2oz, DD3 was a HBAC 9lbs 4 oz.

I am a big-gal six feet even on a large frame. midwife said DD would be 9lbs even, I said 8 and 1/2, I was sure of it. midwife made me have 40 week s/g and the tec looks at me and says "your having a BIG baby at least 11 lbs" I should have walked out at that point. midwife freaked, induced, labor took too long, and I had c-section. My DD was 8 3/4 lbs!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page