Latest and greatest...
So I’ve made some concessions and compromises along the way, but over all, this has been a really easy pregnancy which I’ve really enjoyed experiencing, thanks in large part to my doula, the reading I’ve done (Birthing From Within, Adventures in Natural Childbirth, The Baby Catcher, Official Lamaze, Ina May’s Guide, Spiritual Midwifery, Immaculate Deception, etc.) and the women I’ve relied on to keep my focus positive (like YOU guys), etc.
In hindsight, I really wish I hadn’t caved to the "pressure" and had gone w/ the home birth I’d always dreamed of, especially since this is my first pregnancy – and may well remain so given my age and single status (the baby’s father lives in another state).
So, of course, we hit the 40 week mark and he has been really pressuring me to induce labor (fear of a big baby, PIH, GD, etc.) ever since.
I’m scheduled for induction this evening at midnight, but I REALLY want to cancel it b/c I feel like I AM making progress and I’d sure like to at least wait until Thursday or Friday before I allow any "panic" to set in. That was my original deadline anyway ... I always figured if I got to that point, I'd be willing to at least entertain the idea of induction, etc.
Mostly, I’m still feeling strong, confident and quite sure that given a few more days, my baby and I can do this without drugs or unnecessary medical interventions.
I have been having contractions, albeit mild ones, for 3 days now. Have had two non-stress tests (6/8 and 6/12), both showed good levels of amniotic fluid, a strong heartbeat for the baby, good movement, though slightly elevated blood pressure for me (but it went down after the second reading), etc.
Had a cervical exam last week that showed no dilation but 80-90% effacement, and another exam yesterday that showed over 90% effaced, but only ½ cm dilation. She is still "floating" at about a -3 station.
Contractions showed during the non-stress test yesterday morning as well as on the Doppler yesterday afternoon when the nurse was checking for the baby’s heartbeat at my OB appointment.
I assured my doctor yesterday that if there was anything wrong w/ the baby at all I would absolutely let him intervene as much as he needed to, up to and including induction, C-Section, etc. But in the meantime, if baby and I are doing okay and labor is progressing, what are the risks of waiting another day or two? He had a million different reasons, but most had to do w/ his being on call (or not) and her being huge, and so on.
I'm dreading making the call this afternoon to cancel the induction for tonight. But I want to let my body transition naturally at it's own pace, not an abnormally accelerated pace induced by Pitocin which will certainly lead to more interventions - especially if I'm only 1 cm dilated.
Just needed to say this stuff out loud, in a place that feels "safe" and where I'll at least be partially understood. LOL.
Planning on staying upright and moving as much as possible from now till Friday, it seems to keep the contractions steady when I do that. And that's gonna have to be "good enough" for now.