I'm Afraid to VBAC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-09-2003, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know its really really rare, but I'm afraid of rupturing. I'm not even pg yet (I don't think, just O'd yesterday) but I'm trying to make my emotional decisions before I'm a wild pg woman.

Anyone else struggle with this decision? How did you come to terms?

Thanks,
#2 of 27 Old 03-09-2003, 01:57 AM

I was mildly afraid, but felt that the risk was minimal, and was more afraid of another section...had I been terribly scared, I most likely would have opted for an epidural once labor was good and going to minimize any wait time if that had actually occurred. That said, I ended up with another section anyway due to dd's presentation, without a trial of labor at all. :

I hope you find something that somebody says helpful.
#3 of 27 Old 03-09-2003, 01:58 AM

I think you just need to keep reading and learning and it will help make up your mind one way or another.

I'm not pg yet either, but I think HBAC will be better for me, I don't even want to go NEAR the hospital at this point.

Good luck and keep reading.....
Chelly
#4 of 27 Old 03-09-2003, 12:21 PM

Read Read Read...
The more I read the less I worry about rupture (and the more I worry about a repeat cs). Also talking to other moms who have had vbacs helped me.

I'm 36 weeks now and getting ready to push this baby out!

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#5 of 27 Old 03-09-2003, 12:29 PM

I agree read, read, read....
Sometimes I still get scared, and dh isn't always 100% supportive (saying that I may not be able to have a VBAC and might have to have another section: )....but the more I read birth stories the more empowered I become. Ina May's new book is awesome!
I also plan to have my sil there when babe comes, she's a L&D nurse....she knows how much I want a VBAC, and is totally supportive that I can do it....but I would also trust her completely if she were to think that something isn't going right kwim???

It also helps that my dr had a VBAC with her second that was born when dd was born.....so she's been great at answering questions, and she did a tonne of research on VBAC and the "risks" and from what she concluded the greatest risk is if pitocin is used...she basically said that there will be no medical intervention this time...and initial, while I hated being put on pit with dd...I thought, you mean I have to do it all myself....
and that scared me....but reading has helped soo much.

HTH....
Jen

p.s. I also visualize what birth will be like....and ask for pictures from my birth in my dreams....so far I've had 3 awesome dreams about birth!
#6 of 27 Old 03-10-2003, 09:31 AM

I can only agree with everybody else. I just VBAC'd a month ago and rupture was very far from my mind. After doing all the research I could, and looking at the statistics, and determining for MYSELF that the best option for me was a non-medicated birth was the best chance for the safest vbac, I let that worry go. There are SOOO many other things that there are greater risk of happening that rupture really isn't an issue as long as you are not having something that increases yoru risk (induction, prostaglandins, etc).

Talking about it ALOT also helps.

Good luck.

(crying baby have to cut it short)
#7 of 27 Old 03-10-2003, 10:40 AM
pbk

One thing that really helped me was reading about the risks of rupture in comparison to other things we never give a second thought about. You can read that at the midwife archives http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vbacrisk.html. It was assembled by the husband of an ICAN member, IIRC. It was quite eye opening and reassuring.

Also, it helps to remember that not all ruptures are created equal. A rupture that is small and/or caught early can be easily repaired without endangering mother or baby. Personally, I'd never labor as a VBAC mom with medication because it would block the unusual pains that could let me and my birth attendendts know about a rupture right away. Also, IIRC the most serious ruptures tend to happen to women with unscarred uteri.

I second all the advice you've received to read, read, read. We fear most that which we do not know about and understand. Educate yourself on rupture and the chances of it happening to you, and you might find yourself less concerned.

Good luck!

Brenda, mama to Abigail, Isabella (HBAC) and Vincent (HBAC)
#8 of 27 Old 03-10-2003, 01:37 PM

I've always said, the very best book on this topic is "Silent Knife", by Nancy Wainer Cohen. It really puts the risk of rupture into perspective. It has always been such a scare tactic by doctors who don't want to be bothered with a vbac. So we have to educate ourselves. Do whatever you must to get your hands on this book. I've been reading and rereading it since my son was just a baby. Now I'm finally getting ready to get back in the game with a planned vbac in August. I also reccomend finding a doula who strongly believes in a natural non-intervention birth. Someone who will ward off all the negative energy that comes with a hospital birth. Or, way better, have a hbac. Of course, if your partner is anything like my dh, that's not quite an option. Obviously the choice is yours to make, just don't let fear and lack of information make it for you. Good luck
#9 of 27 Old 03-11-2003, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies for all of your input. I'm feeling much better. I had it in my head that a rupture occurs in 1 in 200 VBAC's (long story). Well, now after reading LOTS, I see that it is like 1 in 9000.

I think risks associated with C-sec are higher.

I also found a new Midwife who is much more hands off than the MW's I used with Kayla.

Hope I'm pg, I'm 5 dpo right now.
#10 of 27 Old 03-11-2003, 07:53 PM

Here is something to think of too that my midwife tells me when I start to express worry over possibly rupturing during labor - there is no greater risk of rupture during labor than there is of rupturing during the whole third trimester of pregnancy. Now how many people do you know who have had a section and have gone on to carry a baby with no problem to term? Do they worry they'll rupture? No, because the odds are so low - same with VBAC.
#11 of 27 Old 03-11-2003, 10:12 PM

Drytushies,
GOOD LUCK with the TTC - I'm all over that as well, I'm going to test on Friday I think....... perhaps earlier...... perhaps RIGHT NOW.... :LOL

Chelly
#12 of 27 Old 03-14-2003, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Go Chelly! Its sooooo hard to wait isn't it????
#13 of 27 Old 03-17-2003, 12:21 AM

Didn't have to wait too long......:LOL tested +++ on Saturday!

I'm SO excited.......

I hope you get good news soon too!

Chelly
#14 of 27 Old 03-17-2003, 02:36 AM

Stepping in a little late but in time to say CONGRATS
I was very sure of a VBAC before and during my pg...even during my induction (yes I know I know) but when my water broke I freaked out! My positive state of mind went from 10 -1 in seconds! I so regret not having a positive person on my side! My dh was a ball of nerves and I couldn't regain focus. I ended up at the hospital asking for pain meds...was planning on the local birth center.
In the end I was fine...I had an epidural and went to a 10 within 8 hours. AND the best part was I had a VBAC!
You will NEVER regret trying for a VBAC. Its the most MAGICAL experience ever! I think it is extra special after a cesection!
you will birth this baby vaginally and all will go well!
#15 of 27 Old 03-20-2003, 01:47 AM

I know what you mean. Sure, the rupture rate is less than 1%. But then I've already had something RARE happen during labor (cord prolapse...also less than 1%) I really do want to have a vbac, but I'm scared too.
#16 of 27 Old 03-20-2003, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations Chelly!!!

I might test tomorrow (I think I'm nuts because I really don't have much in the way of symptoms).

OCM, I am feeling a lot better after doing some reading. I also found a new CNM/OB group and hope to have a great chance for successful VBAC.
#17 of 27 Old 03-20-2003, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drytushies
Congratulations Chelly!!!

I might test tomorrow (I think I'm nuts because I really don't have much in the way of symptoms).

****************BABYDUST************
Drytushies, if you look at my older posts in 2 week wait, you'll see I had NO SYMPTOMS at all - not one, its still kinda hard to believe - but AF is now almost a week late - so the 6 ++ tests must be right :LOL

Chelly
#18 of 27 Old 03-20-2003, 11:34 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally posted by Chelly2003

I'm not pg yet either, but I think HBAC will be better for me, I don't even want to go NEAR the hospital at this point.

Chelly

Chelly,

This is exactly how I feel! What I'm most afraid of is that I will end up in the hospital on pitocin again, and then my uterus will rupture!

My solution is to take as much control out of others hands and pave my own way! I'm most comfortable in my own house, and in my own territory.

Drytushies,

Like others have said, read, read, read. Do the research. Educate yourself. That's how I deal with this kind of anxiety. I get the facts so I feel like I really know what I'm talking about and what it is, exactly, that I'm afraid of.

I hope this helps.

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#19 of 27 Old 03-23-2003, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone... BTW, af was due today and didn't show and I got a BFN

I know when I was pg with Kayla, I didn't test until was a few days late and didn't get a very dark line. So I'm still kinda hopin' but I don't think I'm pg.

In God's perfect time.
#20 of 27 Old 03-23-2003, 01:31 PM

I'm in the middle of Ina-Mays new book "a Guide to Childbirth" it is very good, and it makes so much sence.

One part that made sence ALOT, was when she likend childbirth in a hospital to trying to poop on a table in front of people, and that your body just DOESN"T want to do that..... but you need to read the whole book, its really good.

Good luck Drytushies!!!

*****baby dust*****

Chelly
#21 of 27 Old 03-24-2003, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! arrived yesterday

That's alright, onto the next cycle! Each time I don't get pg, I tell myself, Kayla gets to be one month older when this baby arrives and that is good for her. She also is still breastfeeding and I know some kids wean when you're pg. I know my breasts were so sore throughout my whole 1st pg that if they are that sore this time, I'll have to wean her. I want to let her nurse at least until she is 2.

Like I said before, its all in God's perfect timing.
#22 of 27 Old 03-26-2003, 01:33 AM

I just got back from my meeting with a midwife, its so comforting to talk to someone who is so "comfortable" with an HBAC.

She's a lovely lady, and I am thinking "she's the one"

Chelly
#23 of 27 Old 03-27-2003, 02:20 AM

personally, after much reading (including the mothering hbac issue) i felt comfortable doing it w/ an epidural, so in the very rare event of a rupture, no wait time for the emergency anesthesia (one of the valid reasons for an epi, imho- another might be the back labor that wore me out so much w/out an epi that i ended up w/ the c-sec in the first place.)

sure do understand people wanting to avoid medicalizing birth (heck, i read the first 'immaculate deception' 23 years ago), but after trying it my way twice with attempted unassisted a total of 48 ungodly hours, i was willing to have some help . btw, you still can own your birth even if you have a hospital birth- stay ballsy (ovarian? ) & conscious & make your wishes KNOWN (not a guarantee, but it makes a difference.)

good luck- it is absolutely awesome. my vbac rocked!

suse
#24 of 27 Old 03-27-2003, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drytushies
I had it in my head that a rupture occurs in 1 in 200 VBAC's (long story). Well, now after reading LOTS, I see that it is like 1 in 9000.
Where did this number come from ? As far as I know, the rupture rate for uninduced/unaugmented labors is 5 per 1000 (which is 1 per 200). This is the statistic that has been calculated for most of the research done of VBAC's. However, only about 1 in 4 ruptures are a "tramatic rupture" - the majority are "silent" and manifest usually in a failure to progress.

Just as a side note - I saw a case just like this only this week. The mom pushed for 6 hours, fetal heart tones were OK (no decels) and when she went back to the OR, her incision had seperated. THis is not brought up as a scare tactic! Only to illustrate that even the dreaded "rupture" isn't always what people imagine. And that the stats are overwhelmingly in your (and your baby's) favor.
#25 of 27 Old 03-28-2003, 01:22 AM

hi, chava- i wondered about that cpd diagnosis for my c-sec when my nearly 10 lb (at 37 weeks!) max came out w/ only a small reasonable tear... funny how my pelvis managed to get bigger once i was relaxed and not in hideous pain, lol. oh well, you told me- don't think i was quite ready to hear it then

suse (i'm glad i got to see that birth could be fun! and no, i'm not talking epidural: but the three delightful days of NON-back labor I got to have first this time, I really enjoyed all that rockin' & moanin'! now i'd be happy to pop out another one w/out being afraid of birth again; it's that hyperemesis during pregnancy and the toughness of already having two in diapers that puts me off!)
#26 of 27 Old 03-28-2003, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by suseyblue
hi, chava- i wondered about that cpd diagnosis for my c-sec when my nearly 10 lb (at 37 weeks!) max came out w/ only a small reasonable tear... funny how my pelvis managed to get bigger once i was relaxed and not in hideous pain, lol. oh well, you told me- don't think i was quite ready to hear it then
OH, just smack me. Subtlety has never been my strong point! : It's all I can do sometimes not to yell at a patient - "Your OB is a stupid jackass!!!!"
#27 of 27 Old 03-29-2003, 12:35 AM

oh, definately many obs are jackasses- but i'll give mine the benefit of the doubt in that instance. i was tuckered out long before i went anywhere near the hospital, and i think 'cpd' was a convenient way for him to not say 'you were way beat to sh*t, girl!'... which we both knew i was. back labor BITES.

suse

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page